iPad What you want from a game's developer

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Dio, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Well, one huge factor that I consider is the other games the developer has made, and if they have been consistent in updating and satisfying the customers needs... One question I wanted to ask was do you know any developers like these that you could point out to me?

And another question, what do you look for when purchasing a game OR what do you expect in a game/developer.

and if you hate this thread topic, then just please don't post to make me feel bad.

2. rhcpdrummer

rhcpdrummer Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    i jus want the dev the be active and open to improvements
    the pocket god update is great at this and continually updates and improves his game

3. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    The dev of pocket god listens to consumer ideas and they update weekly

In a game i look for great game play
    And replayability

4. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    I look for gameplay and graphics. If it is a fun game, and it looks great, everything else falls into place. I expect the dev to update the game regularly to not only fix bugs, but to improve the game's weaker points. Best example: Illusion labs!

5. multiple control schemes

6. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Comes out with a finished game instead of a half-baked idea that gets patched later on. Updates are for minor bug fixes and extras that keep customer loyalty.

7. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Precisely. Take Sway for example. Those 15 levels make a "complete" iPhone game. Now Illusion Labs is coming out with and update with even more levels. I want to see more of that.

8. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    i think that the guys from pocket god have it right. I mean weekly new features??? come on!!! That is one of the main reasons why i bought that app anyways, and it totally paid off.

I love it when they actually listen to what you have to say. And put it in the next update.:D

9. Ventura

Ventura Well-Known Member

I hate abandonware.

I hate the whole "once they have your money they don't care" thing.

I haven't bought an app yet that I've still been playing past the first month or so of ownership because the developer just stops updating it and it gets boring. These games aren't typically known for their depth.

While the Pocket God developer looks like a decent sort, I'd hate to have played an earlier version of that app, because to be honest, there's not a whole lot to do with it even now. If the updates for it stop coming, it will drop from the list of top apps in a right hurry.

10. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member

- I don't own Pocket God, but I like their episodic model -- release a great game and keep it on the charts with episodic content
    - ... which leads to the iDracula model. Release a great game for $0.99 and then iterate on it before increasing the price. Early adopters get a cool game for cheap, and there's less risk for the dev -- win/win.
    - Developers who have a blog/forum presence. You can see the person and passion behind the game instead of a faceless corporation.

11. ianlow32

ianlow32 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    I break down into 2 cat:

indies

Listen listen listen to the community, build an original game and not a clone (unless you can make something unique out of match-3) and spend time and effort to polish up the game and debug debug debug.

Its usually a one man show or small outfit, so focus on creativity and ideas instead of big ambitious opus

branded developers

Build original iphone games! Do ports only if they are not poor watered down versions of consoles, and make sure they can equally take advantage iphone's assets, not its flaws

Updates ... and free upgrades, I have not seen one major title that has come back with more free levels as opposed to the indies.

ANd finally, read this forum

12. MuN

MuN Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Game Developer
    Las Vegas, NV
    I am all for updating apps and I do dislike when an app is abandoned by the developers. However, I also dislike when developers update just to update. I have seen many apps that are updated constantly but the updates are useless. Of course there are many developers who submit worthwhile updates. I am talking about the ones that go like "fixed the pixel in the icon" update. Or "fixed a small glitch in blah graphic" update. It feels like they do it just to stay in the newly released section or look like they are updating the app constantly.

It wouldn't have been a big deal if Apple allowed incremental updates - meaning developers submit the updated content only. Right now, whenever you submit an update you have to submit the entire app. So a very unnecessary update not only clogs the approval process (as each submission needs to be reviewed all over again and it just delays all the other apps waiting for approval), but also the users need to download the entire app all over again. Maybe it's just me but i don't like downloading 20mb app all over again to fix a pixel - if it was an important bug/crash fix that's totally understandable.

Anyway - we have submitted 3 updates to Gemmed! since its release on Jan 20th. And currently working on another one which is the biggest of all. More updates are already planned out. All of them have been pretty big updates that introduced new game elements. When we release an update I'd like to be proud to say "A new update is out! Go get it!" However for indie devs especially, it takes longer than a week to prepare a worthwhile update -I don't think weekly updates are that realistic unless they are pixel fixes :) There are exceptions of course.

Pocket God is somehow different - though they add on the existing gameplay which is fairly easier to do - depending on what they add of course. I'm still curious how they can aim for an update a week when the approval process is so unpredictable (sometimes take a few days, sometimes 2 weeks)

13. David

David Active Member

Dec 20, 2008
    John Kooistra is the perfect dev in my opinion. He was really active on the forums when his game blue attack came out and had an update out in something crazy like 9 hours.

14. Hobbes

Hobbes Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    devs like davecazz, who is working with allan I make Pocket God, who listen, communicate and update frequently.

15. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I like the way the pocket god developers are doing it but releasing a partially finished product and adding to I t shouldn't be the way to do it I mean I only really play god on the days of the update but it keeps me coming back to the game without the updates pocket god would have litterally no replayabilty

16. deathinacan

deathinacan Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I like a game with good updates, and a developer that visits this board once in a while...what's most important is that the game is good and holds my attention for a while though. I'm alright with an unfinished product as long as the updates come frequently, but a finished product is much nicer.

17. Adding to the above, devs who can take criticism. When I do reviews, I'm not always nice. (This is the bit where someone from the peanut gallery shouts out something about Sherlock.) Part of it is for comedic effect, but the core of it always contains the nuggets of truth, and however viciously I might tear into a bad app, I always explain why it's bad, just in case the dev reads it, because maybe they can make it better after reading what I thought was wrong with it. (Or maybe they think I'm a cantankerous misanthrope whose opinion isn't worth a pair of fetid dingo's kidneys. Either way I make my point.)

The vast majority of devs seems to be cool with my biting sarcasm when you get right down to it, but I've had a few developers pretending they aren't the developers writing butthurt comments on the reviews, too. Yeah, I could be nicer, but where's the fun in that? Schadenfreude is funny. I think most devs see through that anyway, and instead take the constructive criticism and run with it -- and that's what I love to see. Not because it makes me feel all big-headed for having helped improve an app, but because the devs listen and they actively want to make their apps better, so we all win, and that's pretty cool.

18. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I'D like every dev to make their game have

Screen flip
    mute switch
    ipod tracks
    auto resume

these should just be standard.....actually if anybody has ever read any of my posts they know i'm always pushing these features.
    how they are still overlooked is beyond me.
    any insight from a dev on this matter would be greatly appreciated

19. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Anders is a member of TA, and he works for Illusion Labs. He keeps us informed on games or updates they're planning to make in the forums before TA does an article about it. They've been pretty lax on updates recently, but I heard Touchgrind will have a monumental update right after the online highscores one.;) Sway is also getting an update with new levels, and it's only been out a few days...

20. And for cryin' out loud use application volume, not just the default, because on the iPhone, default is ringer volume, and I don't want to turn my ringer volume down only to forget it later and miss a call.

That's been one of my pet peeves. Makes me want to go out and punch budgies.