What would you change about the app store?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by ibelongintheforums, Jan 23, 2009.

1. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    What would you change about the app store? Anything.

2. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Faster loading times in iTunes.
    All screenshots on the product page (no clicking to see the other 4).
    Add a small box at the side with the other games that the developer created.
    Ability to include/watch gameplay video's.
    Links to online reviews.

3. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009

Those sound pretty good.
    Maybe they should fix the "new" and the other lists.
    Oh and make the top 100 by amount of money made not by the amount sold.

Oh and finally I would force everyone to buy smiles. :p

4. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    Not too sure. If an app costs $100 and 3 people buy it, is it better than a $0,99 game that gets purchased 300 times?

(I do see your point, it could help developers of $1,99-$9,99 games, but there would be downsides to the system as well)

5. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    That is a good point. That would reward more expensve then less expensive. There has to be a non-corrupt way to do this.

6. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    Be able to browse based on star rating. High star rating + high # of reviews = higher on the list. So you don't have 5 star apps with 1 review showing at the beginning of list.

7. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    Then let's also remove the "Rate apps when deleting" again!

8. HardcoreEricXXX

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    Why?

9. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    People who remove an app probably do it because they don't like it. So for people who don't like a game, it's very easy to cast a negative vote. But for people who like the game, it's much harder. They either have to go to iTunes and type a review; or delete the app, give it a 5 star review, and then re-install it (which doesn't make sense because it will delete your progress).

So the current system is unfair, a lot more negative ratings will be processed, while the great games don't get that many good reviews because people want to keep them on their device and therefore donĀ“t get a chance to simply select a rating without writing a review.

10. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    #10 ibelongintheforums, Jan 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
    I see your point but that would encourage devs to fake reviews to try to get it higher up the list. And they might put false reviews just to put there competetiors lower. Also if an app has millins of reviews one negative one doesn't affect it. And finally what would happen if tons if games have the same rating? Oh and finally, why if another asphalt cones along when the update messeses up the game?
    Then it would still have high reviews but the most accurate don't really matter.

Edit.
    Just read it again and realized that it would rated by number of reviews an by stars

But wouldn't that not b good for the amazing less known less reviewed games?

11. HardcoreEricXXX

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    #11 HardcoreEricXXX, Jan 23, 2009
    I would say people delete descent paid applications from their iphone when they've begun to fill their 9 pages. And I would think that they would leave it a fair review, considering they paid for it. Good free apps that manage to withstand the test of time also would receive fair reviews. Often, the negative reviews I see are, "Its a rip off of another game" "I cant get it to work" or the infamous "crashes my ipod", but these people are entitled to their reviews, just like we are able to exchange a used game at GameStop. Bad apps that I delete immediately receive a review that reflects my tastes. While I don't think anyone is stupid, I like to think of myself as being above average and games that I often find challenging, engaging, and overall a great app usually have great reviews at their launch (often from the members of this site and 'in the know' people) then they are ripped apart once they get attention from the general public. The general public only sees "Get this game now! best game ever" without ever looking for a good gameplay video or in-depth reviews.
    Prsonally, I feel the star ratings properly reflect the how well the general public will receive it. It's dissappointing to see a 4-star app with a fair number of reviews on the 10th page. I should be able to set search criteria to 3-stars or better with 20 or more reviews.

Edit- Developers have to take it upon themselves to get the word out and talk to people. While Apple tries to do their best to highlight extra special apps that may not be getting the credit they deserve. The developers have 50 promo codes to give out, giving these codes to people who write in-depth fair reviews can be done just by browsing these forums for thirty minutes. While having a promo code give-away is fun, you only receive ten minutes of fame and not nearly as many reviews as promo codes you hand out. I don't know how I feel about fake reviews, There are often reviews I skip over cause they are too generic but that's where the general public comes into play, if its bad, they'll tell you how bad it is.

And I mean, How hard is it and who would it hurt to sort by star rating. It's not perfect, but it's a whole lot better than sorting by release date, most popular, and title. They dont even show the star rating on the computer. Sorting by title and looking through 22 pages of navigation applications and you will get screwed over on your purchase. Star rating search would allow me to weed out applications like ifart and sound grenade, while seeing sPin and tanzen. What's popular is not always the best. And the release date search, I feel it is highly inaccurate

12. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    #12 ibelongintheforums, Jan 23, 2009
    Yes but what happens when an update fixes something? What r the chances of the person fixing their review. Not likely. Also that would canabalize the smaller games because they wouldn't b on the list because they didn't have enough reviews and if the weren't on the list then it would decrease there visibilty making it highly unlikely to get on the list because they'd have no visibility. That system would also encourage devolpers to fake reviews to try to get onto the list. I understand your point, it would help games like textropolis and rolando but it seems as if I would not help new or lesser known apps.

Oh and honestly how many people actually need or use nine pages. Not very many.

13. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    I'm one of the nine-pagers. I'm constantly juggling what to keep and what to delete, some apps I've deleted and reloaded a number of times. Usually I review the good apps on appstore too. Does anyone know if the delete-reviews for same app count only once or does each review count separately? I'm guessing the system keeps only one review for each app, identifying the reviewer by user id.

To answer the original question, I'd just like appstore to be quicker to load on itunes. On the phone I'm not using the appstore features much, Appsniper and forums work best for me.

Also there should be way in itunes library to rank/sort/categorize/comment/playlist the bought apps for personal use. With over 300 apps to juggle, it is a pain to find the needed app to sync.

14. HardcoreEricXXX

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    My dad taught me to measure twice and cut once. Use your resources to talk to the consumer first to figure out what they want. Present them with an idea and allow them to help fill in the details. Release a finished app, while I am grateful that some developers took the initiative to update the app, I am still left with the question, Why didnt they just do this to begin with?

This is a competitive market place and a developer needs to show that they have solid ideas that are in touch with the needs of the people. This can easily be done by contributing 30 mins of your day to these forums, gaining feedback from loyal fans of the device your creating for. The way I see it, if a game isn't succeeding there are two things that could be wrong. The developer is doing nothing along the lines of marketing his game and encouraging/selling people his game idea, or their game does not meet the needs of the consumer, whether it be the price, gameplay, graphics, etc.

In a world with Jiff, Peter Pan, Reese's, and Store brand peanut butter, it's all about how the developer makes their product to be enjoyable by the most amount of people.

In my personal opinion, even if i were to want Bobby Carrot, I think the price is a couple dollars too high when placed along side its competition, and the general public that does not check gaming forums will probably have the same attitude so not many people will purchase it. It would therefore not show up on the most popular. But the people that did pick it up seem to so far really enjoy its complexity and find it to be a good purchase, these are the same people that take their time to write quality reviews on the app store and will give it a high rating. If I were able to search by star rating it would probably appear on devices before it showed up in just released. To be able to sort the 3,4, and 5 star apps out of the store would make wading through the sea of trash a little easier.

If fake reviews are such a problem, Why aren't there 100's of 5 star reviews for every game out there? Often, its hard to find one. I also have all 9 pages full

15. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    I agree that star rating is a better way to do this but probaly not the best. The app store needs complete revamping. I understand everyones point but if they were to adapt that system, it would make apps such as tanzen and smile harder to find because they have five star review but the only have a couple so there fore it would b filtered out. Apple defitnitley needs to work out the catogorys and maybe have a seperate game store. They also need to make the new releases actually new releases and get rid of the what's hot catogory because that's what the top 100 is for. I agree there should b some way to filter out low ratings ones. And they need to revamp the reveiw system. They could add the date the review was made and what version the app was at when the review was made. Also, apple should add a genius-esk feature so it looks at your apps and tells you simaler apps. I have probaly 200 apps but only 50 or so are actually on my iPod.

16. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    #16 ChaoticBox, Jan 23, 2009
    Big ass "Pinch 'n Pop!" banner on ever page would be nice :D I kid...

Unfortunately the rating system is so easy to manipulate and flawed at this point it doesn't really matter but the rate on delete should go, or at least make it so you also have to leave a (coherent) comment as well. Ratings defaulting to one star should also go - it should default to zero, and not allow submission until the user sets it manually.

In the games section, the top lists should have a second page in iTunes and should allow "25 more" indefinitely on the device. Sort by release date (not update date) should be an option, also sort by price, etc.

Apple needs to crack down on devs that stick their apps in inappropriate categories and spammers that reskin the same app dozens of times.

It would be nice if developers had the option of creating bundle deals with their own apps or together with other devs.

Apple sanctioned time-limited or otherwise "demo" apps would also be nice instead of store-clogging lite/free versions. An Apple sanctioned upsell path would also be nice to avoid ten versions of the same games at different price tiers for more levels or points or whatever.

17. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    That's a great idea. I definitkey think the rate on delete should go and I like the demo idea. The lite versions r allot of times trash.

Ps
    I love pinch and pop
    Great game

18. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I agree with the idea of gameplay videos directly in iTunes. It wouldn't be hard at all, considering iTunes already has preview buttons for Movies and Music Videos and everything.