What type of iOS game isn't getting made that people want?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by AmazingRuss, Sep 6, 2022.

1. AmazingRuss

AmazingRuss Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Hey Everybody;

Back in the olden days of the first iPhone I had some indie success with an open world RPG. Made enough money to keep going a few years, but have made much more since working on free to play games for megacorps. I've learned a LOT technically over the years, and more importantly I've learned pragmatism. I used to make whatever stupid crazy thing came into my head and hope it hit, but in these days of paid user acquisition, that's a complete waste of time. I've been making games for 15 years now, and I love it, but it's hard work.

I've got a settled, solid gig now, some time to work, a need for a house down payment, and an itch to make an old school "pay for it and own it" game. I have about 3 engineering months available over the next year, so scope has to be pretty small.

So I'm hoping there are enough folks around here that remember and appreciate that old model, and wondering what they'd like to see made? I have been playing around with some big world, RTS/Shooter mechanics on PC, (see Battlezone: Combat Commander), and was thinking it could make a fun little top down RTS for mobile. Single player campaign to start, and then multiplayer if it does ok.

Does it sound feasible? If not, what genre do guys think is underserved for the pay once model?

2. smugpugd

smugpugd Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I love open world rpg games. I probably played yours. I miss the days when iOS had more of those. The pay once model is underserved in general, so I’m glad people are still interested in it. RPGs are by far my favorite, and good story driven single player ones are rare, particularly western style. Board-type games tend to translate well to iOS.
    That said, in 3 months, I think an RTS is more feasible than an RPG. You could get a good start on a single player campaign to see how it does?

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Open world RPGs are superb. Love them. Bit like the 9th Dawn series of games. Open world. Tons of side quests etc. All good

4. AmazingRuss

Mar 6, 2009
    You guys prefer medieval style or sci fi?

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Both are great but 9th dawn is like medieval. Don’t think there’s been a sci Fi one ?

6. smugpugd

smugpugd Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I love both. A game with good story, interesting quests, and decent gameplay is always fun. World building is important but I think the genre is less important than the quality of the game, if that makes sense. On iOS most of the good RPGs lately seem to be deck building types, like Slay the Spire, which is good on mobile. Atom RPG, spiderweb software games, 9th dawn, crescent moon published some good ones a long time ago (dating myself here), the Cat Quest series, exiled kingdoms, I could go on. Crashlands was a great open world sci fi game, though not an rpg in the strictest sense.
    I don’t know how these games sell compared to the usual ftp/mmo ish things you see a ton of, but I like them a lot.

7. AmazingRuss

Mar 6, 2009
    What do you think are the most important measures of quality?

8. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Bioshock remastered