What the name of that game? Myst in Outer Space?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Spacedoggy, May 21, 2009.

1. Spacedoggy

Spacedoggy Member

Jan 17, 2009
    iPhone Dev, Composer
    Tasmania, Australia
    Hello fellow gamers - This is for a guru or die hard gamer that was playing on Macs around 1992 - 94. There was a game on Mac (LC475 - LC575) that I played at uni.

It starts off with a planet in space. There is nothing else. You click on the planet and get closer and closer with each click. Soon you are at like a Spaceport lounge where you are greeted by a alien. Thats all I can remember.

Its like Myst.You play the game by clicking around with your mouse to move forward or back, left or right...

Does anyone know it? Im desperate!!

Many Thanks

2. Phil_Synowiec

Phil_Synowiec Well-Known Member

Im just going to throw this out there, i was very young when i played it so dont remember much, but was it RIVEN?

3. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Sounds like any number of the Space Quest games.

4. Spacedoggy

Spacedoggy Member

Jan 17, 2009
    iPhone Dev, Composer
    Tasmania, Australia
    It is similar in game play, but no. The game Im after is set in outer space and in a space airport type scene (at least thats how it starts)

5. Spacedoggy

Spacedoggy Member

Jan 17, 2009
    iPhone Dev, Composer
    Tasmania, Australia
    Thanks - I found some screen shots but no... Its not that one.

The game also had directional sound - Does that help anyone? Also Im pretty sure it was Mac only (not pc)

6. Spacedoggy

Spacedoggy Member

Jan 17, 2009
    iPhone Dev, Composer
    Tasmania, Australia
    I am now offering a $20 PayPal payment to ANYONE who can find this game for me!

7. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    #7 spacecowgoesmoo, May 25, 2009
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
  8. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
  9. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

May 2, 2009
    Cosmic Osmo.

Starship Titanic.

The Space Bar.

10. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I have absolutely no clue about the game you asked about, but having just finished Myst and having enjoyed it immensely, I would kill for a 'Myst in Space' game...so I'm really curious to know which game you're talking about.
    Let us know if you find it out!!!
    Thanks!

11. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada

I was going to guess Starship Titanic because it utilized a microphone. I don't believe it began by clicking on a planet though. Didn't strike me as all that Mysty either.

12. Thorero

Thorero Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Graphic Designer, 3D Modeller, Web Design
    Portugal
    Ah, Starship Titanic, the Classic game by Douglas Adams.... Must try and get that off eBay sometime, never have played it....

13. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    This thread contains some titles that are SCREAMING: PORT ME! PORT ME ON THE IPHONE!!!

:)

Why the adventure games do not have the same treatment a plethora of early '80 zelda-like RPGs are getting?

Sigh.

14. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    #14 spiffyone, May 25, 2009
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
    1. Adventure games, sadly, are a niche genre nowadays. Only "name" adventure games (like Myst) sell to a larger audience, the rest mainly sell mainly to very niche audiences. There are quite a few adventure games on iTouch/Phone though. 1112, the Jake Hunter games, Soul Trapper, Alternate Endings, CSI: Miami, Hysteria Project, and a few others are among them, and show the wide ranging variation of subtypes within the genre of adventure video games. I suppose the upcoming Dexter will show yet another variation (direct control adventure, ala Shenmue and Indigo Prophecy...as I suspect Dexter will be very much in the adventure genre and far less action focused).

2. There aren't any "Zelda-like RPGs" on this device because, y'know...LoZ is NOT an RPG series. It's an action/adventure series. Sizable difference in genre classification, and there really aren't any action/adventure games on this platform at all. The only games so far that are close to LoZ are Bobby Carrot (due to the environmental puzzles) and maybe Dark Raider (although a lot more action heavy/combat focused than LoZ, there is a heavy element of exploration).

15. Thorero

Thorero Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Graphic Designer, 3D Modeller, Web Design
    Portugal
    Oh my, imagine Starship Titanic on the iPhone? Use the Microphone to talk to the robots on board, tap to move.... How lovely....

16. vicsvenge

vicsvenge Member

May 5, 2009
    #16 vicsvenge, May 26, 2009
    Last edited: May 26, 2009
    majestic? and im not talking about the one by ea. it's older and exactly like myst. you're on some spaceship and you get to deal with ghosts of aliens and stuff.

I have it still I think if you need a copy...

17. vicsvenge

vicsvenge Member

May 5, 2009
  18. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Adventure games (in the broader sense) are selling a LOT on the Nintendo DS...I'm hoping to see the same trend in the App Store (I'm thinking about Broken Sword, Layton series, Ace Attorney, and on and on...).
    I'm seeing a lot of hype around 'Zelda'-LIKE JRPG (from Inotia to Zenonia)...I do not like them a lot so, again, I'm hoping a similar trend for adventure games.
    I've bought almost all af them in the App Store, Myst being the game I enjoyed most in the adventures.

The platform is just perfect for that kind of game imho...I would like to see other adventure types and maybe original franchises...maybe in the future, who knows.

19. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Well, Capcom has announced they are making 10 game for iTouch/Phone...maybe Ace Attorney will be one?

Here's hoping! :)

And there are quite a few adventure games on iTouch/Phone currently, and more coming. Developers recognize there is a market for such games. Hopefully LucasArts "gets it" and brings over some of their classics. I agree that it is tailor made for such games.

The only thing Inotia and Zenonia have in common with Zelda is being overhead view and having some nice 2D art. In terms of gameplay, it's really night and day. RPG = stats. Zelda has no stats.

20. JTHM87

JTHM87 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Auto Finance
    King of Prussia, PA
    This website is a pretty solid choice if you're interested in Adventure Games :)

I found out about Three Cards to Midnight there, which plays like a Photo Hunt type game with a twist. Pretty spiffy!