Out Now WHAT THE GOLF? (by The Label)

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Sep 18, 2019.

1. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Okay so I’m almost 100% complete and there is ONE level that I cannot complete.

It’s in lab 1a and I have spent far more time than I am proud of trying to figure this out. At this point I feel it’s impossible but I would FOREVER be indebted to anyone if they could help me figure it out. I’m attaching a screenshot of the level. It’s one you have to complete in 20 seconds. I find the physics utterly beguiling. I’ve had some infuriating moments with getting par on a few levels, particularly the car one (oof I never ever want to do a few of those again) but I’ve not been so absolutely stonewalled as I am right now.

ANY help from anyone who has completed it would he literally the best present anyone could give me.

2C1512EC-3810-4EAE-8B2E-E48A091A9CB2.jpeg

2. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Hmm... Can't figure out how to go further back than 9. When I go to the bottom of that trophy room like you say, that bottom portal is labeled 10. 1 through 7 along the right of the trophy room have no portal...?

Edit: Nevermind. Going into the 8 portal allows me to go up to 7 and I assume I can backtrack from there.

3. Gotters

Gotters Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2016
    #23 Gotters, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    I didn't twig about the portals until I'd gone thru 10 worlds on the main navigation screen, now working back thru getting the crown on each one but think I'm stuck on the map - when I go into the portal 'world' I can only access the portals for levels 10/9 and on the main game navigation can't go back thru a pipe at a certain point to get to the earlier levels.

Not got a clue now how to get back to them as looked all round the edge of the portal screen and nothing else opened up to me, and stuck on main map.

edit - also realised on reading here how to get back to 7 now (I'd missed crowning some space levels) - I think the main map is a poor design choice in a casual game like this, what's the old line 'a UI is a like a joke, no good if you have to explain it'

4. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Something should have made it more obvious about the more than one level per flag as you did a level and then got the flag and that looked like it nothing told you otherwise. That’s the only bad thing I think I can say, but rather than traipse back I started over instead

5. Morbus Iff

Morbus Iff Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    I'm not a huge fan of physics-based humor; the QWOPs and Cricket Throughout the Ages do nothing for me, tickle-bone or gameplay-wise. I went into the first four or five levels of What the Golf saying "Oh, it's one of THOSE games", but then the labs/world-map opened up, then the three-variants-per-level was discovered, and the sheer *variety* of weirdness became apparent. This is a keeper simply because I want see what craziness comes next.

6. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Absolutely loving this. This is worth at least 5 pounds of my cash so essentially I’m saving money already with Apple Arcade.

Barak, andsoitgoes, GubbyMan and 2 others like this.
  7. GubbyMan

GubbyMan Member

Sep 4, 2012
    I think you got it backwards, 10 is the start. If you can only go through portals 10-8 it means you haven’t reached 7 yet.

Also, you don’t need to go through portals to reach other levels. You can easily go through half the “world” in less than 2 minutes.

andsoitgoes and houseofg like this.
  8. GubbyMan

GubbyMan Member

Sep 4, 2012
    This actually took me a while to complete the first time but I got it in just a few tries the second time now when I wanted to record it. Also had way more headroom on the time. You just have to be efficient when you jump around. Try to get enough horizontal speed and plan ahead the jumps so that you don’t get stuck on the objects on the train. The flying objects can be hit or miss so try going under them.

Here’s my replay:

andsoitgoes likes this.
  9. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    This explains so much! I felt like I was going backwards to go backwards (to get the crowns I missed). I guess that's just par for this game (ba dum dum).

10. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I think I love you marry me!

I am going to plug through because this is the ONLY obstacle I can’t get past. Everything was doable except that one stupid path. I will breathe the biggest sigh of relief when I can get this sorted.

I cannot thank you enough for recording the gameplay for me. You didn’t have to and you did anyway. Again, thank you - and I’m going to come back and give you even more praise when I get it. I swear I’ll stay up all night if I have to!

macplash and GubbyMan like this.
  11. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    I meant to come levy the single complaint I have about this game and then they went and fixed it in today's patch! The challenge description pop up at the beginning of levels was driving me nuts because it was blocking my view to be able to start (or more appropriately REstart for the nth time) a level. It was lingering way too long for my taste. So glad they fixed it.

andsoitgoes likes this.
  12. BasilofBakerStreet

BasilofBakerStreet New Member

Sep 28, 2019
    Male
    So I had to make an account to figure this out. I've been crowning all levels so far but on lab 4 on the left side I open the chest door but the chest is acting invisible. I have force closed the app many times and can't get it to open. The right side chest opened fine though. Can anyone give me a hint if I'm missing something please?

13. GubbyMan

GubbyMan Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Exactly the same thing happened to me as well, on the left side of 4 where you have the musical instruments. Then I went back there after I finished the game and I could just open the chest normally. It’s probably a bug. I thought it was fixed in an update when I went back and opened it but it seems it’s still there.

Also, I collected all of the trophies since last week but I’m on 99% game completion. I have a few achievements in GameCenter that are still locked/hidden, some of them that I should have gotten a long time ago. Has anyone actually completed the game at 100%?

14. yoshihunter

yoshihunter Member

Dec 13, 2016
    The weird broken computers throughout the game seem to repeat different Morse code patterns. Has anyone done anything with these?

15. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Hmmm... Stuck on 99% as well. Can't open the final door in the trophy room, though I assume it's just more stats. Oh well, amazing game! Enjoyed all 16,852 strokes and 14:54:12 of gameplay!

ste86uk likes this.
  16. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Still playing and enjoying this in small doses for me but it’s really handy to play when you just have 5 minutes even and is entertaining and can be fun and funny.

houseofg likes this.
  17. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Yeah their humor is off the charts weird, like they may need help, and I love it!

18. BasilofBakerStreet

BasilofBakerStreet New Member

Sep 28, 2019
    Male
    That's odd. I have 100% even though I don't have all trophies. Maybe you missed a level?

19. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Yikes. Wish it would give me a hint!