What sort of games do people WANT?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by alex_p, Jan 27, 2017.

1. alex_p

alex_p Well-Known Member

I'm curious and I know it maybe an impossible question.

However are there any games players want to see developed?

I've developed a few games but those are games I thought were good ideas. It's interesting to reverse it and ask the community - what would you like to see on mobile?

2. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Full unreal graphics

Open World

Scifi

No IAPs or Ads at all, ever.

Multimillion dollar budget

Released for free. Stays free.

No way to spend money on it all.

Updated continuously for all eternity. Make sure it works on iOS 500.3.14

Must support all iOS down to iPhone 4.

Midi Compatible

VR Support

Apple TV support

Universal

Must include a signed contract by the developers that they will never "betray" the players or face legal action, making sure the contract for betrayal is especially vague.

I think that covers most bases.

3. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Graphically they don't have to be amazing but they do have to be appealing to me.

I prefer games with deep rpg elements as I feel when done properly rpg elements can add to almost any game.

I love all sorts of games but I miss people doing things like Tiny Tower and Happy Street ect but better, more involving on the tycoon side and with better rpg elements to the games.

I hate games that use ascension or prestige or whatever to reset game progress for some small bonus, I feel it's a weak way to extend gameplay time. Plus when I'm playing a game I like to feel I'm progressing and my effort is for something not just to delete it and start all over again for a marginal bonus. Even if it were a big reward it wouldn't be enough.

Too tired to think right now to write much but I always think of things when playing games that would make them so much better or better in my view at least, people focus so much on the wrong elements or don't develop something enough when it looked like they were going in the right direction.

4. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I'm dying for a good King Cashing 2-type slot battle game, with an endless mode.

Or, a game like Swords & Poker but done right.

5. Colton

Colton Member

Sep 27, 2016
    game-play and customization

For me these are the two things that make me enjoy a game. I have no problem with F2P or IAP (unless its an online game and IAP give players major advantages)

So many games with a lot of potential lack compelling game-play and implement a progression that is not satisfying because all you are doing is improving with little to no choice. I also really enjoy arcady action. and would love to see it blended with other types of game. For example a twin stick MMO or MOBA.

Finally i think we need more quality local-multiplayer games. Everything is more fun with friends and it would be great to see more arena local-multiplayer as well as Co-op survival and such.

Thanks for reading!

6. alex_p

alex_p Well-Known Member

This actually made me LOL so hard! Sounds like the ultimate!

7. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    I really want a Stardew Valley game for iOS I know we got the Harvest moon seed of memories but that just... mehh

or if any devs were brave enough to make a premium jrpg.. like final fantasy or i am setsuna

8. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    Diablo clone done right. Titan Quest didn't do it for me.

9. Gray Giant Games

Gray Giant Games Active Member
    Patreon Silver

Jan 21, 2017
    Mechanical Engineer
    Memphis, TN
    This sounds about right. It's never more frustrating as a developer than for people to talk about how evil you are for trying to monetize your game.

10. Rocotilos

Rocotilos Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    iOS Apps & Games Developer
    LMFAO!

This surely sounds like a salty developer reply.

As a developer myself I used to think like this. But in all honesty, you just need to make
    a game that makes MANY PEOPLE want to play. It does not have to have great graphics, it does not
    have to have great music/fx either.

What is happening mostly for most devs is that they make a game that
    THEY WANT TO PLAY. Which is wrong strategy. I also make
    that mistake (and still do) - making a game that I want to play.

The only way to understand what kind of games MANY PEOPLE want to play
    is to get on board as game players yourself on popular titles. Then study the game
    mechanics and take notes what you feel when you play the games. This, is easier
    said than done.

11. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Well I just want an Amiga emulator that works really well as I miss Super Turrican, Shadow of the beast, kick off and sensible soccer so badly! There were tones of great games on Amiga and I really want to play those again. Otherwise I hate Taito for what they did to puzzle bubble, I love that game so much but now it's full of bull**** timers, life system and pay to survive... awful! As for new games, if i were a dev, I would make a game about a cat having to find his way home after getting lost (platformer), something similar to some of the good platformer we've seen recently.

12. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Ha, Sensible Soccer was the first game that came to my mind too. But I can't see it ever being enjoyable with touch controls. MFI controllers need to become cheaper, more widely available and, more importantly, standardised, so something like the Switch's joycons.

Like others have said, I like games with strong RPG elements, but also want a decent story well told, engaging gameplay with controls suited to the platform (touch or otherwise), a strong aesthetic (doesn't need to be Unreal - Wayward Souls is just as appealing to me as Infinity Blade), and good sound. Oh, and I don't care about endless playtime - I want a solid story/campaign with an end goal. Though collectible secrets and a post-game are also good.

Basically, I want The World Ends With You. More please!

13. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    #13 Dankrio, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    Open World RPG, Premium, UI optmized both for iphone and ipad (also support for Apple TV), big world with both random generated stuff and designed ones, plenty of quests (and small quests) to do and in which decisions matter and shape the world around you, great atmosphere and design that feels organic, controls optimized for touch, interesting companions AI controlled with different personalities that affect the game (example: they do stuff that help or impair your game, like displaying bad behavior, trying to rob NPCs, charming NPCs etc. Or at least they try to, depending ot their stats. And would be fun if they think they can, even if they don't, like a weak guy that think is strong or rely on you, or an irritating guy that think has a high power of convincing). The point being that AI controlled companions also interact with the world around and not just you do that.

Scenario-wise I would prefer post-apocalyptic or sci-fi(cyberpunk).

Edit: Van Buren was aiming the companion-thing:

www.vg247.com/2015/11/17/fallout-3-van-buren-companions-would-have-changed-the-game-world/

"Avellone tested many of his ideas for the third entry in the series as a pen-and-paper role-playing game, and some of them were amazing. For example, the NPC companions the player would recruit into their party would make independent decisions which would affect the world around them – so rather than just having the player making consequential choices, so too would the AI.

I can’t think of any game with a feature like that, and I’d love to know more about how it worked. Would player choices influence the AI’s attitudes…?"

Damn, I would LOVE that.

14. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    That would be flipping cool. Also, potentially maddening - I was going to beat the boss, but my companion decided to take the last ammo clip and missed...

Mostly cool, though.

15. Kimchisoju

Kimchisoju Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Male
    Caregiver
    #15 Kimchisoju, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    The game i want would be this...

Make it like Dark Souls, with a Monster Hunter vibe. Give it Monster Hunter freedom Unite controls and graphics with a weapon set where you can pick the weapons up that are strwen all over the place and found by corpses. Make a body upgrade system that tapers to what kinds of weapons you pick up and use more.
    Give it a perma death feature but also a weapon cache that lets you store items somewhere that you can get to again. The body upgrade system only stregthens when you use that specificweapon and the more you use a specific weapon the other choices begin to dwlindle. the more you roll and dodge, the better your roll and dodge gets. Armor you pick up from corpses and they only last limited time as the weapons do.
    Make the colors and saturation like Ico, and shadow of the collosus.
    Thats my perfect mobile game.

16. ReneF

ReneF Member

Jan 14, 2017
    All about the rally racing games !!!!

17. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Premium games that drop to free.

18. alex_p

alex_p Well-Known Member

Oh oh! Sensible Soccer would be so sweet!!! Might have to look into that one!

19. scottyd2k9

scottyd2k9 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Unemployed
    st helens (UK)
    I would love an open world RPG similar to no mans sky and mass effect, maybe with some time travel or planet travel elements. I'm not really into shooting games. I prefer space sims or RPG games.

It would be amazing if there was an MMO RPG where you and your team control a ship and each player is a different class such as, engineer, medic, captain, ect. And each player or class has a different ability which the whole team needs to survive.

Or maybe some sort of space survival MMO.

20. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Tbe kind of games we were getting until the end of 2013 . Here's a few games that were released with the ipad2 specs in mind:
    Modern warfare 4
    Dead space
    Mass effect infiltrator
    Ridge racer slipstream
    Wild blood
    Horn
    Shadowgun
    Real racing 3
    ...and a ton more...now take games like these and update them with the ipad air 2 in mind , these are the kind of games that i want .