What smartphone should I get?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by tygamr, Jul 4, 2012.

1. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I'm due for an upgrade on Verizon, and my current phone (temporary replacement for the phone I lost in a movie theater) is starting to stop working (it's an old LG flip-phone I had lying around). There's four things I'm considering- the iPhone 4S, the Samsung Galaxy S3- out in a few days, the Droid HD- supposed to be out in a few weeks, or just waiting for the iPhone 5(6)- out in a few months.

I don't really have any issues with Android, but I wouldn't be able to use any of the apps I bought on iOS without buying them again- and I have hundreds of them. On the other hand, Android does have a lot of apps that iOS will never have- like emulators.

With the iPhone 4S, my issue is that it will be outdated a few months after I buy it, and it's not much more than a beefier iPhone 4. The next iPhone is supposed to have a lot of significant changes, so I'd prefer waiting for that, but I don't know if I'll be able to wait that long. Also, it only has 3G.

So what should I do? I'm leaning more towards either of the iPhones or the Galaxy S3, but the RAZR's build quality is really noice. Not really sure what the best option is.

2. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    I'm also due an upgrade and have been very tempted by the S3, but a few weeks back i decided to wait for the next iphone announcement before making a decision. I have an iphone 4 and feel i'd regret getting the 4S with a new one around the corner. Holding out might be the thing to do, however, i'm of the opinion that Apple will have a hard time topping the S3. If you like Android then it's a fairly safe bet imo.

3. {:L.S:}

{:L.S:} Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Apparently the iPhone 5 will be out in August. Whether it's true or not I don't know but it could be worth holding off that bit longer just in case.

I got my iPhone 4 a month before the 4S came out. :(

4. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    I'd wait a few months I were you, with the new iPhone plus WP8 devices coming.

5. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Wait until October when the next gen iPhone comes out.

6. If I were you, I would go out and buy a new ipad. Then you won't care what kind of phone you have anymore and then you could wait for an iphone purchase for a long time.

Ever since I got my new ipad I don't touch my phone any more. So nowadays I dont really care what kind of phone I have.

7. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Sure...if he has $600 to blow.

8. Nyan

Nyan Member

May 8, 2012
    You should wait. Primarily because the next iPhone, Nexus, and Windows Phone should be landing relatively soon.

9. zeonmx

zeonmx Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Wait until iphone 5 is revealed then decide to get that or Galaxy S3.

10. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I'm actually writing this on my Samsung S advance which I'm using almost constantly lately so my vote is definitely with the S3. The S3 is in my opinion the best phone on the market right now and I would have bought one if I didn't want to avoid a monthly contract.
    I'm finding my advance is running everything I can throw at it easily and I like to experiment so the S3 with its quad core Chip should be pretty amazing.

The big downside is losing the IOS apps but personally I don't miss them and still have my iPod if I need it.

11. Peewhy

Peewhy Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    wait till october

12. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    So I just broke my current phone in half... Was trying to hold off on the iPhone 5 for now- intended to get one a little later.

13. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Unlucky you could always get a temporary stopgap phone but if you really want an iPhone 5 anyway maybe it's a sign to just buy it, the only other phones I'd be looking at are still the S3, Note 2 and the new nexuses which are supposedly coming soon.

I'm still pretty pleased with my S Advance can't wait until I get the Jellybean update but I did read a worrying article about it the S2 and the S3 earlier all being able to be Factory reset from a link. Don't think it would effect me however as I don't have the normal browser and dialler as defaults.

14. zeonmx

zeonmx Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Wait 3 more months and Samsung will announce Galaxy S4.