What other choose your adventure type games are there?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Mar 29, 2009.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    You know you move through, at certain points you choose what to do, like Hotel Dusk or Day of the Tentacle. Only one I can think of offhand is 1112.

2. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    #2 DaveMc99, Mar 29, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
    Alternate Endings
    The Odyssey
    2 Minute Mysteries
    The Final Battle - Adventure
    Zeus Quest - Adventure

3. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    Would oregon trail be one?

That's really fun.

4. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Actualy that kinda works, except that the choices relate more to whether you live or not. You're still trying to get to Oregon, the only goal and ending.

5. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    ^^

Mhm, but you are choosing your adventures, with the different mpaths you can take.

6. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    But Oregon Trail isn't really within the adventure game genre, though. It was a simulation game when you get down to it. The new one has those more arcadey mini games, but at heart the original was a simulation. The point of the game was to keep your party alive as long as possible, have a successful settlement, and you were awarded points at the "end".

Adventure games, which is what arta wants, are focused not on point accumulation or getting a high score, but rather investigation. Even the less interactive of these games has some level of investigation going on. That's the primary focus.

Within video games, "choose your own adventure" style games are, in terms of gameplay genres, part of the adventure genre. As that is the case, other adventure games will be the types of games arta wants, and indeed pointing out 1112 and Hotel Dusk just solidifies that fact.

So, in addition to the ones Dave listed:

There are:

Soul Trapper (audio adventure)
    CSI: Miami
    Ancient Tomb Adventure
    Advent (port of the text adventure classic)
    White House Escape
    Frotz (a free text adventure game app)
    Mystery House
    Lost in the Pyramid
    The Jake Hunter games (Seaside City Conspiracy, Crash and Burn, etc)
    Battle of Waterloo (historical text/graphic adventure)

Also, if you are into adventure games, you might want to look into getting the "hidden item" games like Stone of Destiny and Everest: Hidden Expedition a shot. While they aren't "choose your own" sorts of games, nor geared toward investigation, they are focused on something that is used quite often in adventure games: item finding/hunting.

In fact...I do recall there being some adventure "hidden item" hybrid games. They were for the Mac too.

7. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I'm too lazy to search right now, but there's actually a thread that covers this, and in fact has App Store links to almost every game mentioned in this thread (I know, because I actually looked most of them up to post the links). In truth, though, while this is a good list of adventure games, most of them don't really qualify as "choose your own adventure". This is really a specific sub-genre of the adventure game where you're presented with a bunch of storyline, and then presented with a couple of specific paths that you can take. There aren't really concepts like "exploring" or "inventory" in a true CYOA. Technicalities aside, though, you really can't go wrong with a well written adventure game.

8. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    Definitely a lack of this genre for our devices.

Couple of games are coming soon, though:
    -1112 ep02
    -The Return to Mysterious Island
    -Syberia
    -(new project from RealTime Audio - Soul Trapper dev)
    -Myst

9. demid_tishin

demid_tishin Active Member

For a high quality interactive movie experience, search no further than TellTale's games, e.g.
    - The Wolf Among Us. Top quality stuff!

If you want a combination of interactive fiction and Quest / RPG, go for Inkle's games
    - Sorcery! series (fantasy)
    - 80 Days (Victorian / steampunk)

As for simpler "choose your own adventure" apps, can definitely recommend these ones:
    - Tin Star - Wild West setting, a lot of text, a lot of non-linearity. Also top reviews (I guess the average score is a crazy 4.9 stars!)
    - The Choice of Robots - A game about robots written by an actual robotics scientist. Loads of meaningful choices and philosophical questions.
    - Study in Steampunk - Steampunk setting, good writing.
    - Heavy Metal Thunder - Decent but very lightweight writing, kind of a sci-fi pulp fiction with much fighting. But! A rare case when it actually feels like an action game, even a first-person shooter I'd say. Great resource management mechanics (super limited inventory, super limited skill slots), UI, music and illustrations are great, too.
    - Crusader Kings: Chronicles by Paradox Interactive (companion game to their PC strategy with the same name) - Medieval setting. Quite short, but very good writing and enriching. Nice visuals and fight mechanics, too.

Hope this helps!

10. Ann0ying

Ann0ying Well-Known Member

+ for Sorcery series.Also Lone Wolf.

11. demid_tishin

Lone Wolf looks like fun, will check it out - Thanks!

12. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Just in case anyone wants links:

Also, Cubus Games just released The Frankenstein Wars - 19th c. adventure gamebook. I have not tried this yet, but if I remember right from the Kickstarter campaign there is actually some strategy involved in this one, so it's an attempt to blend game genres a little bit.

And, while it's been rather quiet lately, we do have an adventure games thread here: List of Adventure Games (Part 2)

13. demid_tishin

Eric, thanks for the links, I guess it works much better this way! :)

14. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    No problem. I just figure some people are lazy like me and would rather simply click than have to look something up :eek: