what is your faith (or lack of)? why?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by SkyMuffin, Oct 20, 2010.

1. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    This is definitely true. When you think about how big the universe could be, and how many galaxies, stars and planets there are, the chance that life could all come together as it exists on planet Earth is highly likely (if not certain).
    And I am sure that other life exists. The universe is so big that life must exist on millions of other planets.

2. Registeel

Registeel Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    I believe in Apple.

Almighty Apple.

3. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    god is real i read it in a book

4. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    that qu-ran thing? didnt we burn alla them?

5. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    What the ****?
    *Bitch SLAP*

6. StarCraftIsGreat

StarCraftIsGreat Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I have a question for those who believe in God. Why don't you believe in other gods?

7. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    #147 EssentialParadox, Oct 24, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
    It sounds like you could be a Pantheist. I'm not sure though, given your following comments.

Pantheism comes from a more scientific, yet still Spiritual point of view, that the energy inside us all goes into something else after death, (as the Universe's energy is constant and never increases or decreases), and that we're all ultimately connected in some way, and there is the potential for an afterlife through reincarnation in a new living being, or floating out in space, on another planet, etc.

I just thought i'd give that a mention in this thread. It's something I attach myself to, because i believe in a spiritual afterlife yet I can't feel an attachment toward any of the specific individual religions. Not to say any of them are wrong, though, because I believe in the fundamental components and beliefs they are all based on, which they all share in common, and which I wish religions could focus more on where they share these similarities, rather than where they differ.

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    If you want to look at it from a scientific point of view... there are three types of energy in the human body, chemical (in chemical bonds), electric (electric potential differences between cytoplasm and the intercellular fluid) and heat (you know what that is).

Chemical energy is the helpful one, and goes towards maintaining new life which is as close to spiritual as it gets. Bacterica and fungi break down the bonds and use the chemical energy to feed and grow, so if you have any kind of soul, it goes into that. Nice thought. Electrical energy becomes heat when the cells start to die and can no longer maintain the potential differences. Heat simply dissipates into the air.

As far as energy having to go somewhere is involved, you've just fed some microorganisms and kept the air slightly warm for a couple of minutes. Well done.

9. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    That's interesting. I've never heard of pantheism before. I'm an Atheist and think that nothing happens after you die. Although a part of me thinks reincarnation is possible. When you think about an eternity of being dead (and not even knowing you're dead), it's hard to imagine that you will never ever experience anything again. I've had out of body experiences and it's the scariest thing ever when you see total darkness (as opposed to the standard grainy colours when you close your eyes) and feel like you're shaking. I know it could just be my mind playing tricks on me, but I still like to believe that there could be a small chance that reincarnation is possible.

10. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    #150 EssentialParadox, Oct 24, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
    I had that same belief about life. There is a very natural urge in humanity that life doesn't simply stop at death, and it's why religion is such a strong attachment for almost everyone.

A few years ago I researched a lot about religion and it's what led me to discovering about Pantheism. It is not based on any Supernatural ideas about God or an afterlife. It respects our scientific understanding of nature and the Universe, as well as our lack of understanding about it. James Cameron's 'Avatar' has recently been used as a popular example of Pantheistic views on life and nature, although I'm unaware if Cameron would consider himself a Pantheist or if he simply wrote the movie to be Pantheistic by coincidence. Probably the most famous person to share the theological views of Pantheism was Albert Einstein.