what is your faith (or lack of)? why?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by SkyMuffin, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Pathetic.

2. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    That's sad. :(

Today we all wore purple to stop hate against gays. I didn't wear purple.. Because I don't own anything that's purple.. :eek:

3. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    There is no electricity in your body.

That word you were looking for is called "energy."

If it was electricity then you are even more incorrect, because you are referring to the Law of Conservation of Mass/Energy.

Good day.

4. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Or because everyone else was wearing the purple to support you :/

5. StarCraftIsGreat

StarCraftIsGreat Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Mature.

I would have worn purple today as well, but I didn't have anything purple.

6. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Don't neurons use electrical impulses? Would that be considered to be electricity? (I honestly don't know if it's actually electricity)

7. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Dick...

http://www.harunyahya.com/books/science/electricity/electricity_02.php

Would you accept that we make electricty in our bodies with the energy we have?

8. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Yeah probably. :rolleyes:

BTW it's a national thing.

9. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I didn't wear purple, but I strongly support gays.

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I agree with this. There are just way too many holes for me to take religion seriously. Looking at it logically, if God existed, he'd make his presence known and stop a lot of suffering. I find the whole idea that when something good happens, God is responsible, and when something bad happens, "he moves in mysterious ways" to be the laziest and weakest excuse imaginable. Talk about trying to BS your way out of an argument.

But yeah, if you buy it and it makes you happy, that's good. We all deserve a shot at happiness.

11. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    I agree with the statement above.

12. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I'm gay for TouchArcade!

13. StarCraftIsGreat

Jul 25, 2010
    Well I dunno about this, I mean the idea that God didn't make his presence known was one of the main points with the Enlightenment. Deism is the idea of a watchmaker type view: God created everything, but he didn't interfere and let humans play their roles how they please.

14. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Well if he allows suffering then he's not a very good god, is he?

15. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Well yeah supposedly, but religious texts speak of God making his presence known in the past, only it just happened to be before camcorders were invented. Plus most religions assume God to be a loving one, so surely he'd eventually decide enough is enough and take steps to stop the centuries of suffering people have endured in his name.

If it turned out I'm wrong and he does indeed exist, he wouldn't be anything like any religion has made him out to be.

16. StarCraftIsGreat

Jul 25, 2010
    [​IMG]

17. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I respect philosophers. They're not always right, but they take the best damn shots at it.

18. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Win.

19. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

Well he's kinda got a point if you think about it. If God is able to prevent evil then why doesn't he?

20. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #40 Cilo, Oct 21, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
    Exactly what I was saying earlier, the Enlightenment took mankind out of the Dark Age for a reason - knowledge, power, serenity, love, ect. is within. I don't knock people who congregate to promote love for others, I'm also not a self prescribed atheist/agnostic - but I don't align myself with organized religious agendas that continue to be pushed for no apparent reason.

If I have a belief, it's a love for mankind - a true genuine love for people.

If I had a religion, it would be music.

Regarding Epicurus/Aristotle - to place them into a 2dimensional category such as Atheism is a bit of an insult, I'm pretty sure they were beyond labels/sides.

Also people who push atheistic beliefs are just as annoying as rightwing christians, didn't you guys watch the Southpark Go God Go series?! :p

My point I might be zeroing in on has to do with plain old positive energy. People at work have offered to pray for me for random reasons ie:sick, big project coming up, ect. However, I don't go into a debate about how 'That's not going to work!' If that person truly believes their actions will make a change for the better, I don't see the harm. It's all frame of mind anyway.