what is your faith (or lack of)? why?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by SkyMuffin, Oct 20, 2010.

1. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    To preface this: i am just curious about what people believe and why. I don't want this to turn into people attacking one another, but I do ask you to give me at least a little reason why you believe.

My faith has never been a major part of my life, but rather, an addition to it. I started believing because of several near-death experiences which have convinced me beyond a doubt that there is such a thing as divine intervention. I've learned more since then, but it is not an overly serious, major part of my existence.

I strongly believe in the idea that people are not "fallen" or sinners, but rather, we all have the potential to become "divine" or like God. I try to emphasize the positive part of my faith over the negative. My faith is not necessarily any one denomination (i think most churches are corporate or overly bureaucratic and have political agendas), but ideas and opinions i've formed over time from my own experiences. I do believe in God, but not in any Biblical or Christ-like sense.

2. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
  3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    If you don't treat this topic seriously then you won't get serious discussion. If you do treat it seriously, then maybe you'll learn something about others in the process.

4. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Didn't the Enlightenment teach us anything?

5. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    You're right, I should treat this seriously. I love hearing about people living inside fish for extended periods of time!

6. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I love Pinocchio you jerk! :mad:

7. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    This is going to go very wrong, very fast.

Happy I'm here to witness it/join in/kill some mofos.

8. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    i believe in all things spherical

9. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I'm a chocoholic.

10. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    In all seriousness, I have this discussion regularly. I have a band, where 3 of the 6 members are hardcore Christian. They want me to believe but don't shove it on me. Instead they trick me into talking about it.

I do not believe in anything other than this: When we die, the electricty in our bodies have to go somewhere. What does that mean? No idea. I don't think electricty has a mind of its own. or if were to go into another form, transfer past thoughts or anything into that form.\

I simply don't believe in god. I was born and raised Christian, and I saw what the people were like. Modern Day christianity is completely insane and taken way out of context and (no offense) is crushing the progression of mankind.

I have no problem with someone who believes in God, Christ, any religion. That is their choice and who am I to say that is wrong? I have my opinions of course but I don't expect to have anyone change their mind because of me. ANyone seen Religilous by Bill Maher? That is exactly where I stand. "What is the answer? What is the true god? I do not know. Simple as that".

That is all. I love you.

11. StarCraftIsGreat

StarCraftIsGreat Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    #11 StarCraftIsGreat, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
    I feel like this might have been discussed several times already.

I personally don't believe in God or any 'higher power.' I just don't find it logical. I have no problem with others believing in whatever the hell they wanna believe in, but I do have a problem with organized religion (because of the 'lessons' they teach and that being gay is a 'sin.' Obviously I could go on and on, but I won't.)

12. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    But being gay is a sin. *scoffs* NO BUTTSEX! BAD!

13. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I completely agree. I was also raised to be a Christian, but soon lost my faith as I grew older and realised it's all BS. I hate the way religion takes away people's freedom. It starts wars and generally causes violence. I have met many racist and homophobic religious nutjobs too. Although I'm glad that most people I know that are my age are Athiest/Agnostic. I'm fine with people believing in a religion as long as they keep it personal and it doesn't affect me or anyone else in a negative way.

14. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I'm an agnostic atheist. As far as people go I don't care whether they are religious or not as long as they keep it real. The supernatural question is something I've sufficiently already answered for myself years ago, it's not "the big question" that I dwell on.

I've dealt with people of all kinds and I only care how they deal with me and other people. I've met good dudes and assholes on both sides, from friends and family to strangers.

15. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Yeah as I grew older I started asking questions my mum and pastors simply couldn't answer with anything other than "You h ave to have faith". I want to see things with my own eyes. Things like near death experiences (I have had a couple minor ones) are purely coincidental. It's hard for me to believe that someone out there chose to protect you of all people.

16. StarCraftIsGreat

Jul 25, 2010
    I am also Atheist, not Agnostic.

The Bible is just so contradictory, it's hard to believe. All men are created equal, yet you're sub-human if you're homosexual. Also sins, something like envy is human nature!

17. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    How about you people start believing in yourselves.

18. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    This is going to turn ugly, fast.

As for religion, I don't care what you believe in.

19. StarCraftIsGreat

Jul 25, 2010
    I am my only god.

20. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Gay or not - it's illegal in Singapore! ;)