What is the trick to get reviewed on touch arcade?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Lightworx, Jan 31, 2011.

1. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    I think the music analogy is perfect - every unknown wannabe music artist struggles at first, no matter how good they are. The difference is the ones that know they are talented enough stick at it, and with persistence and hard work eventually get their lucky break. As soon as they're famous everyone assumes they had it easy and want to know the secret of their success.

An unknown artist in any discipline (music, art, acting, comedy or whatever) needs that lucky break and app development can be no different. We all think our Apps deserve success just as every band believe they're the next big thing. The only thing you can be sure of success-wise is if you don't believe you can make it then you'll fail no matter how good you are.

2. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Just look at the list of games published through Chillingo. They hand pick only games that are "super polished." Their results are mixed - most of their games get featured, some of their titles end up doing quite well, yet others flop, despite their best efforts to filter out only the games most likely to succeed. It's really hard to predict which apps will take off and which won't. Anyone that could accurately predict which apps will do well and which won't could make a lot of money as a consultant. It's easy to rationalize and come up with reasons why one app succeeded and another didn't after you already know which one came out ahead.

The only sure things are games based on licensed IP (i.e. Uno, Monopoly), but you have to pay a lot up front for those rights. This is why bad ports of games with movie-tie ins were popular on consoles.

The real trick is coming up with an interesting concept that can be implemented on the cheap, and still end up compelling/appealing. A great example is Daredevil Dave. This was made with a shoestring budget, filled a niche that didn't exist, and did quite well. It wasn't even all that polished.

There are dozens of stickmen-based games that continue to shoot up the charts. I don't find them appealing, but a lot of people do.

For the person looking at this purely as a business rather than a hobby, maybe focus groups are the way to go. You can filter lots of prototypes and ideas through them, to find and focus in like a laser beam on something that is captures broad appeal through genders, ages, etc.

For the hobbiest, if you stick with developing games that you personally like, it's hard to go wrong. At the end of the day, you at least end up with something you can enjoy immensely.

3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    A game has to be fun. That's all.

I mean seriously. 95% of the appstore is filled with games that are simply not fun. At all. I can guarantee you that for most of these cases, the devs didn't even try out the game much for themselves to see how interesting or fun it was-- they just finished it and dumped it out.

4. steveios

steveios Active Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Ok everyone has an opinion on what works and what doesnt. My whole point is you have to grab the attention of gamers before they play and then after. Here is basically how people judge something mentally.

Icon= If it looks familiar that I reconize , I click it gaurenteed. If it looks cartoony and not dull I click.

Name= If has words like shoot,tiger,action,jump etc. I go check it out , if it has an weird name like woghio I might pass it over. I need to be able to relate to the name I will take the time to check it out.

Screenshots= I need to be able to look at the screeenshot and know exactly what Iam looking at. I have to be able to jugde whether its my type of game.

Description= Ok this is where developer f%&k up. I need to know how to play the game , then the story.If you tell me how to play in the 1st 3 sentences , I feel the itch of the buy button. I already invested time to learn how to play , I might as well buy it if its my type of game.

Thats the basics from a consumer standpoint with just about anything. Catch the eye with something they can relate to , then give them information about the product.

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

How did someone who posted a "How do I work xcode?" thread turn in to some kind of iOS marketing guru? [​IMG]

6. steveios

steveios Active Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Thank you for the compliment. Iam glad someone here reconizes talent. Iam feel humble that such a great writer like yourself notices my talent. Thank you

7. coolpowers

coolpowers Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Indie developer
    Coralville / Iowa City
    (Mostly) Great thread, I missed it because I was too busy counting up the stacks and stacks of money I've made from breakeroids. Oh wait.

I have a feeling quite a few developers (including myself) were surprised to see such a relatively simple game on the front page, and I know how lucky I was to get the exposure. There is no magic formula or trick to being featured on any decent site, but here's what I think helped:

- Familiar but still original mechanic
    - The game can be pitched in a single line
    - Brief lull in big game releases
    - I engaged the community before and at release
    - I actually told people about it when it was released
    - I strongly believe that in most cases, an initial 99c price is a deterrent to grabbing interest

The thing is though, no exposure guarantees sales, and this market moves at light speed. As an indie you can't afford to bank everything on one release - if this one fails to make an impact, you have to already be working on the next title and hope your last one grabs some exposure when you next update it.

8. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    lol, you are so funny :)

JC

9. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    There has been some great advice in this thread, and some not so good.

My first iOS game flopped. Initially I was forlorn and didn't see a way forward. But now I working towards my next release.

Assuming a one-man-band cannot succeed because my game did not sell is like a man failing to chat up a woman, so assumes she must be a lesbian because she didn't want him.

To continue my analogy, some guys have the looks, but nothing to back it up, so success is fleeting. There are some guys who appear to be in their element, and it looks to come easy to them. Then there is the occasional man that despite looking ungainly, has no trouble at all. But for most of us it is a case of working hard at it, learning from our mistakes plus observing and examining the success of others. And trying again.

10. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

#110 NickFalk, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011

WAIT A MINUTE!!! You're saying she wasn't lesbian!!!? :eek:

Actually I think you need to include some numbers for that analogy to work:

The app store is like an island with 5 super models and 5000 guys...

11. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    #111 Bad Hanson, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
    Step One: Make a good game
    Step Two: Make a good game
    Step Three: Befriend Eli Hodapp
    Step Four: Bribe Eli Hodapp (he only let's his friends bribe him)
    ...Success! :)

12. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    It is 300,000 guys after 3 groups of 100 women, 10 in each group are super models.

13. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    You forgot the most important step:
    Stuff horseshoes up your ass (as many and as far as possible)

14. Razoric

Razoric Well-Known Member

I did that before I started the project.

15. swiftest

swiftest Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Have you considered adding a leprechaun to that mix? I hear a 2:1 ratio works best. Best to give them an oxygen canister though.

16. konop

konop Active Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Hey Frank, would it be worth it to make your game available for those less than 4.0? I have a 3gs that I won't upgrade and would like a chance to play your game ;)

17. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Full version runs on 3.1.3 and up, free version requires 4.0 (for various reasons). BTW, iOS 4 runs great on the 3gs - not sure why you're depriving yourself, unless it's a test device or something.

18. Doom

Doom Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Working for the man
    Northeastern California
    :cool::cool:
    Salutations! I have been beta testing the upcoming iPhone game Mission Europa..there is an active thread going on this site..please check it out..this game has been in production by a one person army, a few testers, and a nothing budget..but also has things you have not seen on and idevice to date..twenty bad guys on screen at once..off the rails..heart.swords..spells..summons..50 levels..175 quests...Note to Touch Arcade Editor..please visit Ryans blog..he is ready to issue demo builds for you to test...than you in advance for taking the time to see this game...oh yeah..multiplayer will be included...