What is the proper way to give promo codes to members?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by karlth, Aug 14, 2009.

1. karlth

karlth Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Iceland
    Do I simply post a thread and offer the codes to the first 5 persons who reply or should I ask for PMs?

What would be the proper procedure?

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

You can give away codes however you'd like. Some developers simply posts lists of codes, others ask people to PM them. I think that the best way to give them away is through some kind of contest or guessing game, but that's just me.

Ideally you want to generate interest in your game, so if you've got a bunch of people bumping your thread posting images for a photoshop contest or something you're going to stay on the top of the forum listing for a lot longer than you would if you just posted a list of five codes.

But, like I said, they're your codes. As long as you're the developer you can give them away however you want. ;)

3. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    You can do that however you'd like, they are your codes ;)

However, if you just post them freely, you are at higher risk that you won't get reviews in itunes for them and lurker take them very quickly an dyou may not get any feedback.

Contests are always the best way (I think) to give out promo codes, or making them try out a lite version of the game (if you have one).

PM's is perfectly fine too though.

And yeah you can just make a thread announcing your promo code giveaway/contest or whatever.

:D

EDIT: wow hodapp, you said the exact same thing I did, just seconds earlier. :rolleyes:

4. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    There is no proper procedure but you should give them out in the thread about your game.
    If you ask for people to reply then you can PM the code to them. Depends if you want alot of PMs. :)

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

[​IMG]

6. karlth

karlth Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Iceland
    Thanks, I'll create a quick contest for the codes.

7. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

I like PM's or contests, becuase PM's you don't have to try each code to see if any are left and contest require you to do something for the code