What is the progress to rRootage and Noiz2sa?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by currymutton, Oct 16, 2008.

1. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Still eagerly waiting.

Are they rejected, or what?

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Noiz2sa is finally out!!

Link - 99 cents

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    [COMMAND]

Override all purchase items in queue
    Check app availability in local store
    Initiate Purchase Sequence

[/COMMAND]

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Fly Fast
    Shoot Straight
    We're counting on you Pilot

*Salute*

5. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    [Warning]

Locked in Device Backup during Sync operations. Please stand by for further orders.

[/Warning]

Still at work place and will give impressions later.

[EDIT] Suddenly, I feel the developer it is time to update rRootage... [/EDIT]

6. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    #6 currymutton, May 27, 2009
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
    First impressions

There you go:

Graphics: a bit simplistic to some but I really like the style. The white background is very attractive, unlike the black background of rRootage. The framerate seems low at first, but when the screen is (soon) filled with objects, no noticeable drop in framerate. I have yet to see real big boss class objects to confirm.

Sound: to be filled-in later, sorry.

Control: same as rRootage where you use one finger to control the unit, and it is still responsive. Firing is automatic and there is no button I can find for this purpose.

Gameplay: to me, the most attractive part of this game is bullet hell, no fancy dialog, and no plot. 14 stages to select from. Not as "plain" as rRootage where you have more than one enemy to shoot at at a time. The game is hard, even at stage one I manage to lose a unit. I have not tried all the modes yet and as far as I can tell, it is similar to the PC version, with an endless mode included.

My take: not for everyone but if you like a simple shooter, with a bit longer game life than most vertical shooters out there.

Note: in case I would confuse others, rRootage and Noiz2sa are ported by 2 different developers.

From iTune Store descriptions:

7. panoptic

panoptic Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    It is not the same controls as rrootage. I don't get it, months later and rrootage still has the best control scheme for shmups.

This game has the annoying habit of following your finger wherever you put it.

Rrootage, on the other hand, will let you place your finger anywhere on the screen and control your ship without your ship being sucked to where your finger is like some kind of magnet.

It's really the best solution for a touch screen device, because you can reposition your finger anywhere at anytime and your ship will remain in the same spot.

I just don't get why no one else will incorporate these controls in their shooters.

Btw, this noise2sa port has a really low framerate, even without any enemies on the screen. Otherwise, it's a decent port.

8. lazrhog

lazrhog Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Software
    UK
    oh well. I had my port running at full speed and was gonna release it for free. Never mind then :(

9. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    woah woah woah

If you have something better then don't deny us shmup fans.

10. Kumulus

Kumulus Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    i don't get it either why many developers are destroying the controls of their games with this method.

i actually feel the urge to hit them in the face for their blindness^^

11. Kuratsu

Kuratsu Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    Go for it?

12. lazrhog

Oct 1, 2008
    Software
    UK
    I can't do anything about it now. You can't have the same game on the appstore twice. But yes, I was going to release my full noiz2sa version for free at the end of June. It had the same controls as rRootage but I also had multitouch directional shooting. Zodttd evidently wanted to do it himself.

13. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Aww I totally forgot about that :(

What about cheating and making it noiz2sa!

The punctuation makes it different enough to get into the appstore.

Or you can make a Uber Shmup game by putting them in one package and releasing it later

14. lazrhog

Oct 1, 2008
    Software
    UK
    Ooh now there's an idea. I could just have a menu and you could play either rrootage or noiz2sa. Hmm I'll look into it :)

15. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I know Kenta Cho doesn't really accept money for his games (he didn't get a dime for the Wii version of Tumiki Fighters, for instance), but he really deserves some kick backs, IMHO. Those ABA games are addicting as hell, and very well designed.

16. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Y'know...not to make for more work on your part, but...

...add in Gunroar if possible. :D

17. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    I would love to see that too. Make sure it is done, please

BTW, I have played more and notice the frame rate drop when the reddish monsters appear and also, the control scheme is not the same as the rRootage. My apologies.

18. zodttd

zodttd Active Member

Jun 1, 2008
    Eep! I didn't mean to cause a scene. I would much rather prefer everyone happy. :)

Lazrhog: Any good way to resolve this?
    If it must go free perhaps we can collaborate on the port and I can just update the Noiz2sa product on AppStore with it. Sent you my email address to contact me directly if needed.

Thanks!

19. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Oooh tense. I was excited to see noiz2sa in the AppStore and then was disappointed that this wasn't the lazrhog version.

I played lazrhog's back in 1.1.4 (JB) and can say that the framerate and controls were leaps and bounds over this one. Sorry zodttd!

The only thing missing was sound, but lazrhog did say that he wasn't very good at porting sound, perhaps a lazrzod collaboration would be interesting.

All in all, I'm looking forward for this to be resolved as I loved noiz2sa by lazrhog, love rRootage and would like to see other kenta chos on the AppStore.

20. zurie

zurie Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009

I don't wanna take credit for inventing the wheel, but over a year ago I worked with lazrhog to get the exact control scheme you are talking about... originally it followed your finger, I suggested a control scheme similar to "the address book"... where you put your finger anywhere on the screen and it scrolls from the same spot it was originally, regardless of where you touch... and he changed it for me a year ago and its been the best idea i've ever thought of. (next to the glow in the dark toilet seat). It makes playing noiz2sa on iphone fun! you can move your finger around the screen and the ship doesn't magnet to it and you can actually dodge bullets without having a giant finger in your way... it makes perfect sense! and yes, I don't understand why it doesn't become standard practice on touch screen games.

sorta like the virtual joysticks are becomming standard, this should be too. I love Zod's ports, and he is a maniac.. he really does alot for the gaming community, MAME, wolf3d for free, etc etc.. but i just like lazrhogs port of noiz2sa better.