iPad What is the most underrated game on the app store?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by brewstermax, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I know that there are games like Super Monkey Ball and Spore that are overrated, but what about those little gems of games that are often the most overlooked, but the highest quality and funnest games?

Which ones do you like the best? What are they about? Price?

2. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    #2 istopmotion, Nov 27, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
    I'd have to say Juxtaposer is a great example. It's an awesome picture app that lets you erase parts of a picture and add it on top of a different picture. I use this app a lot to put McCain and Palin's heads on some of my relatives' bodies. Then I email it to them and everyone has a good laugh :) Juxtaposer is $3 and it's a very fun app to mess around with when you're bored.

Another one is "Pulsar: Interactive Particle System." Ever since I got my iPod Touch, I wanted a visualizer like you can get on iTunes. I bought an app called screensave and used that for a while as my music visualizer, but then I found this one. You can create millions of different effects and it's perfect for a visualizer. I love it and it's great when you're kind of bored and you want to look at something while listening to music. This one is $1 and definitely worth it :)

[Edit] I just realized you said you wanted *games*. I think the game "2079" is underrated for such a fantastic game. You are a small ship and you have to shoot things and get power ups. It's $1 and it's definitely one of the best $1 games.

3. brewstermax

Well, yea i should have been clearer. Not from Major devs (EA and Sega) or in the top 50. Nobody pays much attention to the back 50, so they can be on there.

Already heard about Snail Mail. I'll probably get it.

4. Mchart

Mchart Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Tatomic.

5. AppAttack

AppAttack Well-Known Member

Blackbeard's Assault is a really good game. I have a hard time putting it down once I get started. Plus I think the developer did a really good job. And I say this all the time, but I REALLY believe Parallel Kingdom will be fun once the developers update it and more users start playing.

6. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I love blackbeards assault, it has pirates and ninjas!

7. brewstermax

Ok. These are all great ideas. But I've already heard of all of them. Anything more obscure. More variety. Still thinking over Snail Mail, but other than that, none of these sound appealing to me. Try racing, strategy, puzzle, cards, etc.

8. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    I hate to do this, but I have to speak up...

Scoops!

I think having a 4.7 star average with well over 200 reviews and never making it into the top 25 counts as under-rated.

9. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    Boomshine is a fun game, but I've only played the free web version.

10. dlogik

dlogik Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2008
    ice cream > pirates + ninjas

Scoops no doubt!

11. dlogik

dlogik Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Biased!

:rolleyes:

12. Porsupah

Porsupah Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just the way my brain's wired, but I've found Marple to have a lot of persistent value - it's a great title for a five minute diversion. Good way to help get the brain kickstarted in the morning. ^_^

13. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Subway Shuffle, by far. It's on sale right now, buy it!

14. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    #14 BrettArchibald, Nov 27, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
    Yep, what he said.

Plus I'll add another one - BloXoR
    The screenshots don't do the gameplay much justice - watch the YouTube video here to get a better idea of how it works...

15. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Theseus and the Minotaur

For a puzzling game of strategy you can't go past Theseus and the Minotaur. And not many people have heard of it. There are 87 levels. Each level is a "maze". Theseus has to out manoeuvre the Minotaur and make it safely to the exit. Theseus can take one step per turn. The Minotaur can take two steps and he moves according to a set of rules. If you google it there is a PC/MAC version that has a demo you can download and try. There are excellent instructions in the game and the first 3 levels are a mini tutorial.

16. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Just an opinion, Automangle is fun, good 3d graphics and lots to do(editor just added). Perry Hart and Phart are so dedicated it's like buying a game and getting responsive customer support. I bought It for $2.99 well worth it(I think it's .99$ now).

I think touchgrind is getting a bad rap right now, don't know if that qualifies it as underrated.

17. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Or (blatant plug) Smiles also with a 4.7 worldwide average (but a mere 10 reviews), and excellent reviews on any site that's been willing to look at it.

It's 2 different games, but (poorly conceived business ideas aside) most people have been afraid of the $4.99 price point. As a result, I'm releasing each game separately for $2.99. The first (Smiles Zen) is available now. Smiles Drop should be available Tuesday.

18. The Lab

The Lab Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Utah
    Jelly Car

19. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Great game!
    Although it could use some work

20. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Since everyone's doing blatant plugging, I have to join in!

SPiN at 4.7 global rating, 4.86 US rating. Get it now, now! While the supplies last!