What is the best platformer game for the iPad?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Flipangle, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Flipangle

Flipangle Active Member

Apr 17, 2010
    I've narrowed it down to Giana Sisters and Bounce On 2. Are those the best or have I left some worthy candidates out? Which one should I buy if I could only buy one? Thanks!

2. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    I have both, and I'm not sure about content for Giana Sisters, but Bounce On 2 has tons. Also, in Giana Sisters, it's a bit annoying because every time you stop running you slide a little. I think overall, Bounce On 2 has better level design, is more fun, etc. Also Bounce On 2 works on iPhone too. So I'd say Bounce On 2 over Giana Sisters HD.

3. Flipangle

Flipangle Active Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Thanks for the advice. I looks from the screenshots that Giana Sisters has better graphics so I was leaning towards that game, but after reading your post, I'll probably get Bounce On 2. Gameplay is more important to me than graphics. How does it compare to Bounce One? I hear from people that Bounce One is better.

4. colorsound

colorsound Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Video Game Developer / Photographer / Graphic Arti
    Detroit, MI
    I think Bounce on II is WAY better than the first one.

Giana Sisters is an awesome platformer though.
    I have no problem with the gameplay, but I have been playing side scrollers since the release of the Sega Master System, which is over 20 years ago (I'm 34)

Sorry I can't be much help, but I recommend both.

5. Flipangle

Flipangle Active Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Yeah, I'm a little older than you are and I miss the good old days. Loved Super Mario Brothers, Donkey Kong Country. And last but not least Super Metroid. Never had the a Sega system, I was all Nintendo...before that it was the Atari 2600. I remember thinking how great a game Pitfall was! LOL!

6. Flipangle

Flipangle Active Member

Apr 17, 2010
    I have Soosiz HD. It's pretty good. Not stellar but good.

7. saintsalive

saintsalive Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Playing pocket god! Oh, and other games.
    Pygmy Island
    I really like Soosiz HD, it's kept me occupied in terms of platformers.

8. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    #8 Qordobo, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
    There's different sort of platformers, some are more action oriented and some are more puzzle oriented. For me the op quoted two more actiob oriented. In this point of view my preferences are:
    • Jet Car Stunt is probably my fav of all, certainly the more original plateformer, it's little weakness is too be difficult but that's the price of its fun.
    • Bounce on 2 demo is great, the full game is in my wish list.
    • Myslef I lile a lot too Parachute Ninja demo. It's a platform game mixing bouncing, a bit of trajectory elements, and parachuting. Alas for me, tripple alas the game doesn't suit fully well the ipad because it requires tilt and touch controls anywhere on the screen. It hasn't a HD version but look well on ipad. I just couldn't resist quote it anyway.
    • Chop chop Ninja is a very good one too, I have the HD. It is more action and more dynamic but perhaps a little less deep than two other.
    • Plushed is lovely with a cute mood but it is also a bit rude, I feel it close to Bounce on 2, but less well ballanced, levels tend be a little tricky. There's no HD version but it looks very goood on ipad.

But there are also platformers that are more purely puzzle oriented, for those my fav are:
    • Despicable Me, definitely my winner of all on par with Jet Car Stunt. It has all, mood, a touch of humor, at each level new elements, it's only flaws are to not be long enough and tilt controls you need use sometime that seems a little bugged.
    • Babylon Twins, just very good, my third fav right after Bounce on 2 except for now I played only the demo of Bounce On 2 when I have the HD of Babylon Twins.
    • Toki Tori, a classical, very good but my grin is it tends have fillers by multiplying levels too similar not bringing enough new elements. This is causing a sort of dillution of the gameplay fun, but it's very good anyway. There's no HD version but it looks very goood on ipad.

9. colorsound

colorsound Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Video Game Developer / Photographer / Graphic Arti
    Detroit, MI
    Pitfall!

I remember playing pitfall when that was the shiznit.

In fact, I remember playing atari 2600 when that was all there was.
    I was actually bummed!

10. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    I don't think any of those quoted in this thread play really different in HD version. The only point, but for some it's a significant detail, it's that the HD version use a different scale allowing you see a larger part of the level one a screen.

Other than that there isn't much reason to buy and play HD versions if you already have the iphone versions and are happy with the graphics and level area size shown on one screen. The only other reasons I see would be to increase your collection of HD games or support HD releases or developpers doing some.

Someone will correct if if there's more in HD version for one of those games.

11. Flipangle

Flipangle Active Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Qordobo: Great list. Thanks!

12. alenshowbrizz

alenshowbrizz New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    I really like to play this game. I think its best platform game for me. I have been playing this game last 7 month.I mostly like this game graphics and game mission area. It was very nicely done.

13. Flipangle

Flipangle Active Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Which game?