iPad What is the best-looking iPhone game?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by don_k, Feb 26, 2009.

?

What is the best-looking iPhone game?

1. ExZeus

5 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Hero of Sparta

10 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Fastlane

11 vote(s)
    13.8%
  4. Zen Bound

42 vote(s)
    52.5%
  5. Ancient Frog

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Sway

11 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    What is the best looking iPhone game until feb 2009?

The one that pushes iPhone to its limit, looks and feels amazing and makes us proud when showing it off to our friends.

(It's only for 3d games, so Fieldrunners, iDracula, Dizzy Bee, etc are not on the list.)

2. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    3d?
    zen bound.

3. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    HoS, BIA, kroll, zen bound, fastlane

4. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    That was quick! Sorry I was still creating the poll :p

5. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    who voted sway?

best looking?
    woah......

6. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I think ZB is amazing graphic wise, but i think sway wins overall, somehow I feel like I have a tiny PS3 with LBP running on it...

7. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Of those games, probably Fastlane

8. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    zen bound looks good.....not amazing
    and since fastlane has way more content to push I'd have to say FastLane currently looks the best even though it still has some minor frame hiccups.

9. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Sway indeed reminds me of Little Big Planet.

I'm not too crazy about Fastlane. sure the cars look good, but the tracks, environment and sky just look so bland. And the pop up doesn't help too.

ExZeus has even more things going on at the same time with great weather and particle effects at smooth framerate. That's why I put it in.

10. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I put the second Sway vote. Total package? It's in there:D

I also vote Ninja Man the coolest Character during the same time in question.

11. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    People need to stop drinking the Zen Bound koolaid...

Hero of Sparta and Fastland are GAMES and have the best graphics for a GAME. I mean I might as well say Ancient Frog has the best graphics right? jeez

12. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Kroll definitely looks better than HOS and so should be on the list.
    After playing HOS for hours and hours, and then playing Kroll I really saw the difference.

Too bad the game sucks.

13. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    woah

fastlane has the best graphics........people have really draken the kool-aid

keep in mind this is for best looking game not best.......

14. Lungkisser

Lungkisser Active Member

Feb 6, 2009
    U.S.A.
    This thread has a 3D bias going on ... what about 1112, Creeps, Rolando, etc.? I'd also throw Katamari as a great looking 3D game... laggy as hell, but great looking.

15. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Well the criteria is for 3D, and that does show off the hardware capability of the iPhone, 2D does not.

I disagree about Katamari, overall its a good look, but compared to the PSP or other platforms, Katamari has very low polygon models and bland textures. Framerate also isn't great.

Still one of my fav games on the iPhone though.

16. McGill

McGill Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Although i voted Zen Bound, I'd have to say that Ancient Frog & Sway would tie with that decision, but i could only pick one...

17. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
    grafx wise - Low Grav Racer and Pharos IV

18. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    False assumption.

Blatantly false.

Doesn't show off the hardware capability?

Sure...so I guess when systems last gen were getting higher res 2D games like Guilty Gear X that wasn't showing the capabilities of the hardware over the consoles of the previous gen, right? And no one ever brings up which system runs 2D games faster in any discussion of hardware prowess. :rolleyes:

Seriously...this does have a 3D bias. And the topic title doesn't ask "which shows off the hardware best?" or "which has the most advanced 3D graphics?". The topic title is "what is the best looking iPhone game?" (though it should be "which is the best looking iTouch/Phone game?" :p). So, y'know...2D games should be listed as well.

Just sayin'....

19. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    BTW, HoS takes my vote if we're only going by 3D polygon based games.

Why?

Quality of textures, amount of characters on screen at once, and all the effects going on.

ExZeus would take it...but being on rails allows it to have more aggressive LOD management, possibly allowing purges as what is up ahead is rendered. Same deal with Fastlane (one of the reasons you really can't make a U-turn and drive the wrong way in that game). HoS pulls what it does in a game in which you can traverse back and forth, and it's animation is more complex than either of the other two games.

HoS's "Descent" level, IMHO, is still the most technically beautiful level in any iTouch/Phone game. That's the one level in that game where I didn't notice many framerate hiccups on my 1st gen iTouch. Might be that the more subdued color palette compared to the other levels (mostly blues) made that possible, along with having less overall enemy encounters (iirc)...but damn does that level show off the iTouch/Phone like none other. That's when HoS really shone in my eyes, and it's a shame that the game was already 3/4 done at that point.

20. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Zen Bound is a game whether you think so or not. Squarely within the puzzle game genre.