What instruments do you play?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Rocketman919, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Slayer_megadeth

Slayer_megadeth Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Student
    India
    I'm a drummer.

Mapex orion orbitor series with Tama Iron Cobra Double bass, Paiste 14" High Hat

2. zachawry

zachawry Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    I play...

...shakuhachi. Use a chronometer for the iPhone to make sure I'm in tune. :)

3. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    I play clarinet, mostly classical stuff. (<3 Brahms Clarinet Sonatas!) It's currently kinda getting neglected for writing music and working on games XD

Edit: Oh, and 1 year of violin a while ago. Only Senior in the Freshman orchestra :D

4. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    sorry for the for the large picture, it was the best shot I had off-hand of the quilt. That was taken at practice, apparently in the middle of a solo. crap-faces are just the nature of the beast lol. and for the record, I started playing Hendrix about 13 years ago.
    (fun fact: Skunk Baxter who I mentioned before played with Hendrix in jimmy james & the blue flames. I got to have a little jam sesh with him once, he is INSANELY smart)

5. jsayreallen

jsayreallen New Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Graduate Teaching Assistant/Freelance Orchestral M
    Coralville, Iowa
    I am a second year doctoral student in trombone performance and pedagogy. I am really interested in getting into more electronic stuff, but being is school for so long has limited my ability to do so!

6. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Drums.

Roland V-Tour.

Attached Files:

7. icepulse

Aug 7, 2008
    #27 icepulse, Nov 19, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
    1) If that's the face he likes to make, let him make it.
    2) It's "Jimi", not "Jimmy".
    3) I never made a face like that whilst taking a crap. Have you? I recommend a trip to the doctor, and a big bowl of prunes.

8. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I play the pan flute...

9. Slayer_megadeth

Slayer_megadeth Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Student
    India
    omfg Jimi Hendrix pwned. Lol atleast give respect to a dead guitar legend :p. with all respects to Jimi Hendrix, his stuff isn't hard to play anymore. Ever heard Yngwie Malmsteen, Michael Angelo Batio or Buckethead??

10. icepulse

Aug 7, 2008
    ...see the forest.

That observation is completely beside the point. It's not a question of being "hard to play", now OR then; it's a question of innovation. The sound Hendrix brought to the table was a quantum leap from anything else that anyone else had ever been able to squeeze out of the instrument. It was like going from "Pong" to "Half-Life" in the blink of an eye. Buckethead, Yngwie and their ilk went from "Half-Life" to "Half-Life 2"; they merely built on Hendrix's "engine", and added some updated "textures". Sure, it's easier to PLAY like Hendrix..... NOW. Now that it's been done already.

It's the same with art. Pollock splattered paint on the canvas, and ever since, people have been saying "I could do THAT.." Sure! Now that you've SEEN it DONE! If you really want to achieve what Pollock has, you have to present something to your audience that has never been DONE. That's the real challenge.
    :p

11. mgondek

mgondek Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Im looking for an electronic drumset. What would you recommend? I have been playing for around 8 years and shooting for less than $1000.

12. icepulse

Aug 7, 2008
    #32 icepulse, Nov 21, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
    Well, mine cost around $1,200-$1,300... but that was 5-6 years ago. I haven't played any others, but I'm extremely happy with this one. I suggest that you either:

A) Hold off for a month or two, and save up the extra scratch, or...
    B) Look for a used one on Craig's List or something.

:D

PS: the rubber pads will outlast the cockroaches, and the mesh heads (snare) last a pretty long time. I'm still on my first.

13. Justom

Justom Well-Known Member

I play the piano and recently I've been learning how to play the guitar. I find piano to be extremely boring and dull, but I'm very close to completing all the "levels" so I might as well just finish it.

14. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    #34 Tennisking1o1, Nov 30, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
    Viola (has the weird c-cleft :(), Violin, Piano, Guitar, I sing, Drums, a little Bass, and am working on some other little instruments like the Harmonica and such

15. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    #35 organerito, Nov 30, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
    I am doing a doctorate in organ performance at Montreal University. So, I play some piano and harpsichord.

16. Doghouse13

Doghouse13 New Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Mainly double bass, with a bit of "normal"bass (been a few months) and some guitar too.
    Rubbish at singing

17. powderski11

powderski11 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    i play/write music for piano, guitar, bass, drums, organ, and UKULELE. So the only ones there isnt an app for are organ and ukulele. It would be cool to have those on the iphone/itouch.

18. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I've been playing piano for 8 years, I played drums for 2, trumpet for 1 and I'm trying to start guitar.

19. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Really excited to say I just got my guitar on Tuesday. :)

Working on Metallica's "One." Got the intro down, still need to practice the solo.

20. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I play guitar, drums and bass.......

........on Rock Band II :)

In all seriousness (though I do play those instruments on Rock Band), I first played the saxophone for a couple of years, drums a bit, and really the guitar is what I focused on in my teens and 20's but haven't picked it up in a while. I prefer acoustic guitar over electric...