What instruments do you play?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Rocketman919, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    This thread is meant to go hand in hand with the "Apps for musicians?" thread.
    If you replied in that thread i'm assuming you have an instrument, so tell me, what is it? I'll start. I play guitar. I own a black Gibson SG Standard and a black Martin Grand Orchestra acoustic-electric. I am hoping that i can assemble enough money to get a peavey 6505 amp and a Marshall cab. All together thats over 1000 dollars :(. Oh well, guess i'll take some money out of savings.

2. slomper

slomper Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    I play guitar too, i have a epiphone les paul studio and the spider 3 line 6 amp.

3. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I actually build guitars for a living. I write, but my main source of income at this point comes from building guitars.

I'm only doing electrics right now, but I hope to start building and selling acoustics by spring.

4. slomper

slomper Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    thats really cool, im assuming you play?

5. McChikun

McChikun Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    I play both cello and guitar. My cello's a cello. I've got a fake Chinese stratocaster (hey, I lived in Shanghai for two years, and I bought it cheap from a friend) and a non-brand name acoustic guitar.

6. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Definitely. Not as much as I used to though. I went to art school and studied screenwriting. Having to be creative at school everyday kind of distracted me from playing.

In retrospect, I should have done it the other way around and learned writing by myself and formally learned to make guitars. My student loans would be a fraction of what they are. :rolleyes:

7. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Sounds sweet.

8. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I play Guitar and Drums

Mostly Hardcore music but I'm becoming more and more interested in Acoustic guitar

NotYou: Let me know when you start to build acoustics. I'd much rather have something hand crafted then some of the crap being produced these days

9. Haephestos

Haephestos Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
    I play guitar (acoustic), clarinet and sing.

10. STP_Steve

STP_Steve Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Editor of slidetoplay.com
    San Francisco, CA
    bass and vocals.

11. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    I play the piano but unfortunately don't have the room for a piano in the house :( I did write a lot of music up until about 4 years ago (when I got burnt by a publisher and it knocked the interest out of me) but still dabble with Cubase on an infrequent basis. It was mostly ambient/electronica and I did have tracks on some compilations and one that was used to advertise the London Eye (the big ferris wheel type thingy in London.)

When I was younger I was really into the Clarinet as well (Acker Bilk was my hero as a youth - Stranger On The Shore is still one of my favourite pieces of music of all time)

My son really wants to learn the guitar so I may join him, as it's an instrument I've always wanted to play and I feel like learning something new :)

12. i actively play music. my main focuses are jamaican ska, rocksteady, and reggae, but i listen and try to play as many different types of music as possible. i've been into afro-cuban and gypsy jazz as of late.

my current gear:
    -esp x-tone pc-1v semi-hollow guitar w/bigsby
    -peavy classic 20 tube amp
    -hammond xk-2 organ
    -ns wav 4 electric upright bass <--newest addition to the family :D

i'm also looking for a good bass combo/half stack right now, somewhere between $300-$500, for my EUB. any recommendations would be helpful!

i'm currently in 3 bands right now. here's me trying to promote my band by posting a couple video links of us, the street vendors, playing in berkeley, CA! i'm the one playing guitar, btw.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oWvldgcNNs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx50cCeA-Ic

sorry about the large post, i'm just excited this thread was started! :D

13. music isn't a cheap hobby :(

a peavy 6505 and a marshall cab is a sick setup though. i've seen that exact setup before, and it's pretty awesome. i hope you get it.

14. gblan

gblan Active Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Godin 5th Avenue acoustic archtop here.

15. kwigbo

kwigbo Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Flex/iPhone developer
    I play a bamboo flute. Helps keep the sanity with two young children driving me nuts. :)

16. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    NotYou,

you should post up some pictures of your creations! I've spec'd out and built a few guitars, but never from scratch. I'm getting ready to start a mahogony strat build. I bought a 22 fret mahogony through neck (double cutaway) thinking it would be what I wanted, but it feels like it's all neck even though it's the same scale as my other strats. hopefully I'll get started on my new one soon.

my current number 1 rig is a custom fat strat with a quilted maple top, stainless steel frets, dimarzio's, locking tuners/straps, graphite saddles, MOP block inlays, killswitch

amp setup is a hot-rodded 5150 through a carvin cab (w/ V30's)

I've got other guitars and amps, but that's my main rig ATM.
    I also play drums, bass, sing, and play a little piano. (which I wish I had stuck with when I first learned to play)
    my band's record should be done early next year, I'll keep you posted if anyone's interested.

17. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Here's a teaser picture I guess. It's the one I'm working on right now. I'm much further along than the picture shows. I'm bad about progress photos. I'll be sawing the fret slots tomorrow. It should finished soon. I took this one to show the awesome piece of wood I'm using. You can't tell from the photo, but it has lots of black grain and birds eyes. It's pretty amazing up close.

The body is jatoba. It's the first time I've worked with it and hopefully the last. It's like trying to carve stone that splinters and cracks.

The neck is Honduran mahogany, binding, pickup rings, knobs, and fretboard are ebony and the fretboard binding is black and white ebony. There's a vertical three part stripe of ebony and black and white ebony that matches the fretboard between the pickup rings.

Pickups are Bareknuckle "The Mule" spit coil calibrated humbuckers and are nickel finished.

I'll be finishing the whole thing in a shellac mixture.

I haven't taken the business online yet, but I'm close. I want to make sure I'm prepared first.

Edit: For some reason I can't get the picture to upload. I'll try later

18. BATTLE BORN

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    sounds like a beauty! good luck with that jatoba wood! must be a pain.

photobucket is good for putting pics up on here, I'll see if I've got any of my quilted strat

19. BATTLE BORN

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    This has been my main axe for the last few years.
    (this one replaced a similar plain-jane strat I had built, but retired it after being autographed)
    I originally wanted a walnut top on this one, but went with the maple after meeting Skunk Baxter and his beautifully quilted strat.
    up next will be a mahogony build, hopefully my back can stand the extra weight
    [​IMG]

20. teagan1000000

teagan1000000 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    gibson sg

i play a gibson sg. p.s. kid with large picture you dont have to look like you are taking a crap when you move way up the fretboard, u cant make that face till you are playing jimmy hendrix, if you are playing jimmy hendrix then i understand