What I want is a Pokémon style game.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Varkman, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Varkman

Varkman Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Maybe I'm alone in this but for me Pokémon is a perfect portable game, you can pick it up for a few short minutes or you can play it for hours. The collectable element is addictive and the level grinding is rewarding (through evolutions etc). There have been numerous Pokémon clones over the years, I rather wish one would get made for the iPhone. Who's with me?

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Nintendo owns the rights for Pokemon, the iPhone is pretty much in direct competition with the DS. I really don't see there ever being a Pokemon game on the iPhone, at least anytime soon. That would be like seeing a Super Mario game on the Sega Genesis in the 90's. :(

3. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Ironically, the opposite is happening now: Sonic on Nintendo consoles.

I love Nintendo and their games, but they're not the only ones with great games. Sega and SquareEnix can create great games too, but they've been very quiet on iPhone gaming. Maybe it's the japanese way of indirectly supporting japanese companies first (like how in the past they didn't make too many good games for Xbox to support PS2 first).

If Sega is that lazy, why don't they just release a Genesis emulator with micro-transaction thing to buy all their classic games?

And SquareEnix is definitely not in the business yet. Any of their DS games could work well (or even better) on the iPhone yet all we've seen is one huge orb button. Thanks SE!

4. Ex-Creation

Ex-Creation Member

Mar 21, 2009
    if they ever did make pokemon for iphone/ipod touch i would pay no matter what.
    it would be the most beautiful thing ever. (start with the bests like silver or yellow)

5. iloverightangles111

iloverightangles111 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Terrapin Station
    That aint gonna happen, nintendo has a copyright that only allows its games to be played on its consoles...and, people have tried to make pokemon clones, and they sucked.

If you really want one that badly, jailbreak your ipod and get it on an emulator.

6. Varkman

Mar 20, 2009
    Yeah I agree, I did say Pokémon clone though, something like a monster rancher or that kinda deal would be cool :)

7. DarthPuma

DarthPuma Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Buy a DS? I really don't understand wanting to play a crappy knock off of a good game when you can just go play the real thing.

8. stargazer513

stargazer513 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    a friend of mine plays gba emulator on his iphone and he has got pokemon on it. although i think its jb.

9. PSMOkizzle

PSMOkizzle Active Member

Jan 19, 2009
    It IS jb'd to have pokemon on an ipod. All we can do is qait, be sarcastic on forums, email them begging/ asking nicely, or petition for it

10. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    #10 gscal, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
    Pokemon would be really cool. The iPhone is in need of a really good RPG, and all the RPGs so far on the iDevice have either really bad gameplay, a really bad control scheme, or really bad graphics.

11. DarthPuma

DarthPuma Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    What the hell are you talking about?

12. Monopoly

Monopoly Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Everyone who wants pokemon needs to Jailbreak and download gpsPhone from Cydia asap

13. Varkman

Mar 20, 2009
    I guess what I meant is that I want a decent RPG with a collecting element. It doesnt have to be Pokémon, I just think it is a superb example of a portable RPG done right.

14. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Sorry, I need to get my facts straight, I dunno what I was talking about. What I meant was that I read an article that, according to the news, Nintendo had started working with Apple and that there might be a Mario game on the iDevice, so Pokemon could be on the horizon too.

15. Monopoly

Dec 12, 2008
    are you 100% adverse to jailbreaking? its so easy haha

16. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I think we missed some of the point here >>; The OP did say Pokemon style game, not the actual Pokemon games.

Also, people who say to go buy a DS. Why spend all the money for it if you can tell someone else to do the work to make a game for what you already spent money for and spend a much smaller amount of money for the same experience (hopefully)?

17. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who has the most obvious solution? Jailbreak. That simple. Emulators galore, and Pokemon except those on DS.

18. Monopoly

Dec 12, 2008
    right with you man, been following the JB on IPTF since the tethered release :)

I happened to be online when MuscleNerd posted the 24kpwn patch...nearly died of excitment. Haha didnt get to sleep until 3 oclock getting untethered to work that night :D

19. stargazer513

stargazer513 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    is the jb for ipodtouch 2g out??

20. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    JB. it takes a ridiculous amount of time, effort, money, and patience to create a pokemon game. most of the game coders are independent devs, and they can't really compete with nintendo