What I need to know before buying a PSP

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by ipod's rock, Sep 13, 2010.

1. ipod's rock

ipod's rock Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Sorry about that, I have only owned Nintendo systems so I love games like The Legend of Zelda TP, Monster Hunter Tri, Metroid Prime games, Pikmin 2, ect... So like what are the top 3 or 5 games in all these categories

RPG(Ones with lots of hours of adventure and good free roam)
    Racing games
    Classics
    Arcade
    Casual

Thanks

oh and are there new games from the TGS?

2. RyoHazuki

RyoHazuki Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    UK
    PSP Emulation is much better, I'd recommend you try;

Snatcher-Sega-CD
    Policenauts(with translation patch) PS1
    Samurai Showdown series-NEO GEO CD
    Secret of mana series-Snes
    Chono trigger-Snes

3. ipod's rock

Mar 1, 2010
    Thanks I will try to get those games. I have a really stupid question here but out of monster hunter freedom 1, 2, and unite witch one has the most blood to witch one has the least(with blood toned down too please)

Thanks

4. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I don't recall any of them having that much blood really. Lots of killing, but nothing extravagant or anything like that.

5. ipod's rock

Mar 1, 2010
    oh okay.

I was any just wandering if there was anything a little less mild than this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJrTxYeSGk0

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Psst... it's a hunting game. Not only do they bleed, they die too!

7. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Guess I never paid attention. That's more blood than I remembered. And its not even that much in my opinion but my opinion alone. Is blood supposed to be bad? lol

8. ipod's rock

Mar 1, 2010
    No Really? I never said I could not stand blood but that is just a little carried away. I have played lots of bloody games like dead space my same thought it is just carried away, I like it being more real(yes I know I am strange that way) and I go hunting and stuff alot and I can tell you now bood does not go 10 feet every shot.

9. ipod's rock

Mar 1, 2010
    I don't think blood is bad, I like it more mild for more it to be more real.(If I thought that blood was bad I would not be bying a game where you cut off there tails and kill nice monster 0.o now would I?)

10. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    That's true. I suppose it's just artistic license. The players want to feel like their attacks are doing damage... plus the screen is pretty small so it's probably exaggerated to make it more visible.

11. ipod's rock

Mar 1, 2010
    Yea I just wish that blood would stay on your sword and be able to cut off thier heads arms etc... to that would be awsome.

12. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    KILL KILL KILL BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD

I don't know I wasn't trying to be a d*ck I was just asking. Like Midian said, I think people just want to feel like they are doing damage. The real factor of games leaves with the fact that they are not real. I don't want to play something that is close to real. That's lame. lol cept the Sims. I enjoy those. And even those are obviously not real.

13. ipod's rock

Mar 1, 2010
    /mutters under breath "this is why I hate TA" This is what happens when you ask a simple question. Can we just forget about this I know you where not trying to be a jerk and nor was I, you asked me so I gave you an anwser. Now back on subject would it be worth it to get freedom 1,2 if I am going to get unite? :confused:

14. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #34 S.I.D. CrAzY, Sep 24, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
    Sorry for late response, I didn't see it until now.

RPG - I can't think of one off hand that has good free roam like Oblivion does, if anybody has any ideas feel free to chime in. However I can think of a lot of good RPG's. Mainly JRPG's since that's what I stick to. The Grand Theft Auto games offer some good free roaming, but they aren't RPG's.

Hexyx Force
    Crimson Gem Saga(unless you already have the iPod version, though this one is better)
    Jeanne D' Arc
    Brave Story: New Traveler
    Persona 3
    Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
    Valkyria Chronicles II
    Y's Seven
    Lunar Silver Star Harmony
    Alot more RPG's, but that's just off the top of my head.

Racing:
    Burnout Legends(this one for sure)
    Midnight Club LA Remix
    Crash Team Racing(PS One Classic)
    Ridge Racer
    Gran Turismo
    Wipeout Pulse

Classics/Arcade:
    Capcom has a couple of bundles that might interest you, also Sega has the Sega Collection for the PSP that has a lot of games for your buck.
    Crazy Taxi
    Powerstone
    You can also go with some PS One Classics or emulators for this. The emulators are awesome on the PSP, nothing like the iPhones.

Casual: Well you have the Minis, there are a couple of decent ones in there. You also have games like Bejeweled and 101 in 1 Megamix as well. I don't have many suggestions on this one since I really don't use my PSP for casual gaming very often.

A couple of games I saw at TGS(at least I think the vids where from TGS):

Final Fantasy Agito XIII
    Parasite Eve The 3rd Birthday
    I think they showed the new Monster Hunter game/bundle and probably God of War.
    Valkyria Chronicles 3
    Final Fantasy Dissidia Duodecim

15. mrchennyken

mrchennyken Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker is absolutely amazing.

16. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #36 S.I.D. CrAzY, Sep 24, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
    I'd also like to recommend Hot Shots Tennis, I don't really like tennis, but this game is super addicting.

If you like tower defense games you HAVE TO pick up Pixeljunk Monsters.

Going into more detail regarding Minis, the ones I've enjoyed are already on the iPod so I'd stick with those. The only "original" ones that I don't think are on the iPod(yet) are Age of Zombies, Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess and Vibes.

17. ipod's rock

Mar 1, 2010
    Thank you! you don't know how helpful this has been many thanks. Funny thing is just five months ago I always thought that PSP graphics where lower than ds graphics! boy was I wrong:D (it is not just the graphics that matter and make the psp great it is the gameplay too.)

18. RyoHazuki

RyoHazuki Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    UK
    I can't see what people liked about the DS , I had mine for about a year, spent a fortune on it on many poor games and hated it, bought a PSP and never looked back, with the added bonus of emulation being the best I've seen apart from the PC.

19. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Aside from everything that's been said already be sure to also prepare for disappointment! :p

20. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Not sure if it's been mentioned but a new Worms game is due on PSP this Winter. It's lookin' good.