What I need to know before buying a PSP

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by ipod's rock, Sep 13, 2010.

1. ipod's rock

ipod's rock Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2010
    So I am going to buy a PSP, I am getting it for monster hunter freedom unite that is the main reason. So I am wondering what are some other good games for the PSP? And with system do I need to play freedom unite and freedom 3? Do I need a newer one or will the PSP-100k Work?

2. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Any of the PSP's will work, the latter bunches just have better screens and looks, plus a much lighter feel to them. I would just prefer not getting the PSPgo. UMD's for the win. Good games include and are very limited too:

Phantasy Star Portable (especially if you like Monster hunter)
    Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker
    Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
    Resitance: Retribution (or whatever the PSP one is called)
    God of War: Chains of Olympus
    Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
    Killzone: Liberation (I think it's called)
    Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
    The Star Ocean Games
    GTA: China Town Wars
    Fat Princess: Fistful of Cake
    The several PSone Classics

There's a small list, but to be honest there isn't much more than that for me. Heard the new Valkyria Chronicles is good too. Worth checking out. Hope it helps. I don't ever regret buying my PSP (Bought one when they first came out, and got a PSP-2000) but I do wish they could have supported it more.

3. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    All of those ^^ but there are some more good ones that just came out recently-

Valkyria Chronicles 2

Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Amazing <--)

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep

Ace Combat Joint Assault

4. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    PSP-1000 will do the job fine (that's what I still use) but you may want a PSP-3000 for the better screen (far better refresh rates, so no ghosting).

As for games...

Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker - Is essentially MGS5 in all but name, this one will easily last you sixty-plus hours. Great single-player story, loads of missions, huge bosses and a ton of weapons / equips to pick up and upgrade

Ys Seven - Basically the fastest action-RPG out there. Super-fast combat system, well-implemented ability / combo system, addictive enemy smashing for loot, well-designed dungeons and fantastic hard-as-nails bosses

Phantasy Star Portable 2 - Is released this week. Unlike the highly flawed Phantasy Star Universe, PSP2 takes the best elements of both Phantasy Star Online and Universe and merges it with skill-based mechanics from Monster Hunter (avoiding / blocking). Supports free online play out of the box, for up to four-player co-op. Has a single player campaign, thousands of skills, abilities and equips and hundreds of missions. Will easily last you hundreds of hours. Certainly the greatest online Phantasy Star yet

5. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Classic Game Room on Youtube reviewed a few Ys games back at E3, not sure if they are out now, but they looked pretty amazing if you like action rpg.

6. Slapshot

Jun 12, 2009
    Notice how when abbreviated it's PSP2 and it was released right before the TGS... O_O

7. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    OMG. And I call my self a die hard Phantasy Star fan. I had no idea there was going to be a North American release for PSP2. And at a time when I have no money! Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!

But seriously. PSO was my favourite in the series. And though the PSP versions are a tad on the Universe side, they did them very well, as I did not care for Phantasy Star Universe much at all. Is the online co-op ad hoc only? Or can it actually go online (like It should have to begin with). Wish it had a lobby system like on PSO.

8. Slapshot

Jun 12, 2009
    I tried the Phantasy Star Universe demo on the Xbox recently, lol it sucked ass... It was all pedophiles cybering with other people and I felt like I was playing a gamecube game lol

9. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    #9 Booch138, Sep 13, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
    Yeah it was terrible. I played it on the PS2 and didn't like it one bit. And like i said, despite the Portables being slightly on the Universe side, they are wonderful. The only thing I got more hours of play on the PSP was Monster Hunter. And I think it's a close tie.

10. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #10 S.I.D. CrAzY, Sep 13, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
    I'll try to name some games that haven't been mentioned, sorry if I have any repeats:

RPGS:
    Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
    Brave Story: New Traveler
    Hexyz Force
    Jeanne d'Arc

In case you don't like RPGs that much, then I'd also recommend:

Crazy Taxi Fare Wars
    Powerstone Collection
    Hot Shots Tennis
    Little Big Planet
    Burnout Legends
    Dissidia Final Fantasy
    Pixeljunk Monsters Deluxe
    Wipeout Pulse

Plenty of good PSP games, especially if you're just buying one. And of course you could also get your PSP to run emulators. The PSP emus are really good, they're not bad like the iPod ones.

I'm not even counting the excellent releases that came out this year since it's already been mentioned. Though I don't see Persona 3, excellent game.

11. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    As long as you get Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, Peace Walker, and Metal Gear Acid 2, you'll be set. Then again, there are a lot of games that I havn't played yet, and many more that I have that I recommend, but those are the 3 that I've enjoyed more than any others on the platform. Burnout Legends and SoulCalibur: Broken Destiny are also both highly recommended, as I've put hours into both. I played a bit of the new Kingdom Hearts today on my friend's PSP, and it seems like a really good game so far, and is definitely worth a look.

And as everyone's suggesting, don't get a PSPgo. There are plenty of great games that aren't being released on PSN, and if they do, there's usually a decent wait from time of UMD release to PSN release.

I'd actually recommend trying to get a used PSP 1000 (the fat ones). They're the most easily hacked, and while not as nice looking or as thin and light as the other PSP's, they're most easily hacked, and literally any PSP 1000 can be downgraded, then installed with custom firmware. There are some PSP 2000's that can't be downgraded (I unfortunately have one), and all 3000's and Go's can't be downgraded as well.

12. ipod's rock

Mar 1, 2010
    Thanks everyone one for your help, it's for sure I am getting a PSP now:D

13. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #13 GDSage, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
    Phantasy Star Portable 2 is almost a different game from the first Phantasy Star Portable and Phantasy Star Universe. As I said, it melds the best parts of PS Online and Universe together and removes their drawbacks. In addition it adds whole new mechanics (rangers are useful now - can block and charge shots, PS Online's skill drops are back in, etc), so much you could make another whole game from them.

As for online, it's proper infrastructure. When bought, you are given a code to input into your PSN account. This code validates your online account for Phantasy Star Portable 2. From there you can immediately hook up to Sega's servers and meet up with other players in a lobby.

EDIT: I forgot ONE BIG THING. PSP2 demo is available, right now, on the PSN store. It will offer you a good twenty hours of play and yes, you can connect to Sega's servers on the demo and play online with others. Better yet, the save data in this demo carries over to the full game. So, if you cannot buy PSP2 right now, you can still play the demo for the time being.

14. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    You are my hero man. I am on that sh!t right after work.

15. ipod's rock

Mar 1, 2010
    I have one more question, I am new to sony so I am not used to the games. All I have ever owed is a wii, and ds.(and iPod touch) so I was wondering what games will make me feel more at home? I love games like Monster Hunter, Zelda TP, etc..

16. ipod's rock

Mar 1, 2010
    Anybody? games that are kind of like wii games. And any cords that will let me play my games on the big screen with a PSP 3000?(I only have standerd yellow,red,white)

17. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Games in the Monster Hunter series are plentiful on PSP. In fact, they're one of the biggest sellers on the system in Japan.

Stuff like LoZ? Kinda hard to come by, but you'd do well to at least check out the PSone classic Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (it's the first game in the Legacy of Kain series). Very, very much a game in the vein of Legend of Zelda, particularly the 2D games of the series.

While not exactly like LoZ as it is FAR more combat intensive, you might want to give God Of War: Chains of Olympus a shot, as it is one of the better games on PSP.

Also, if you are in any way remotely interested in Sega games, you MUST get Valkyria Chronicles II.

And, of course, give some of the Minis a shot. Sure, some are retreads of Apple App Store games, but others are exclusive to PSP and very good, like: Age of Zombies, Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess, Freakscape, and Echoes.

18. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I'd help out, but I'm not sure what you mean by "like wii games".

You mean like Nintendo made games?

There are some cords to play your PSP on your TV, not sure what the name of them are though. I don't have a 3000 myself.

19. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    One question really quick, in PSP2, are there MAGs? Like the ones from PSO not the stupid Tech or Ranged ones.

20. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    The only cords I have seen to link up the PSP were component cables (Green, Blue, Red, Yellow, White) not RCA (Yellow, Red, White) but that could have very well changed since the last time I have looked.