iPad What Happened to Sega

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by indyraider4, Feb 22, 2009.

1. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    When apple announced the app store sega was on board and one of the bigger companies. They praised apple and were very excited about it. The had one of the biggest hits with SMB and even rushed out a sloppy port of sega columns. Now months later the only other thing they have released is SMB lite. Where have they gone? have they abandoned the app store or are they just working on the best version of Sonic the Hedgehog the world has ever seen?

2. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    How are we to know?
    Your asking the wrong people

3. gigidey

gigidey Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    I think there's a good chance SEGAs done with the App Store. But, a Sonic game would be nice if they're still around.

4. wiesse

wiesse Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    My guess is they will be back for the premium store.

5. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    #5 s0mah, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
    Most of Sega is busy with trying to find a way to attach both the 32x and sega cd to the iDevices, while still maintaining portability.

All the rest of Sega's dudes are busy thinking of new ways to run the Sonic franchise into the ground.

6. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Well, for Sonic an iteration of Secret Rings core mechanic would be the most natural fit. As for support in general, for anything remotely close to major support don't expect news until a games convention. What games convention, who knows (isn't Apple going to present one? Failing that, E3 and the like).

On the other hand it all depends what impact the recent downsizing of Sega will ensue. It may have affected the relevant studios attached to mobile / ipod gaming.

7. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

I could understand them being slow or abandoning the app store if SMB flopped big time and they lost loads of money on the project, but it was a commercial success (quite poor reviews though) seeing as its still at number 63 (overall store) as of writing and has been in top 100 pretty much since launch!

Come on Sega, pull your finger out and give me a new game or even a port of one of the Dreamcast titles like Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, Sega Rally, Chu Chu Rocket or Samba de Amigo.

8. Hobbes

Hobbes Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    I don't know. I'm supeised them and Nintendo haven't converted any of the Mario and Sonic games to the app store; they could make a killing

9. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Surprised? Really? I'm not! Ok, Sega maybe, but why on earth would Nintendo release 'any' game let alone there biggest franchise on what is essentially a possible rival to the DS? The only realistic chance of that hapening is if someone pulls another 'Duck Hunt' and illegally tries to submit a port to the AppStore. Currently Jailbraking is your only option for playing them Nintendo classics.

10. mek

mek Well-Known Member

11. Hobbes

Hobbes Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Good point...

12. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Nintendo... I find it hard to perceive Nintendo needing to expand when the likes of NSMB sells 18 million worldwide (with no price drop) and still sells hundreds of thousands per month. The same figures apply to the other properties from Nintendo.

As for Sega, considering the times it really matters little how much of a killing is made from one game, if it doesn't compare to their other main sectors then it can be considered part of the cost-cutting operation. I don't think it will, due to the potential growth, but then again Sega is pretty unpredictable when it comes to financial sense (even when the profit route is so bleeding obvious).

13. Mattman

Mattman Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Yeah nintendos doing great with the wii and DS, they don't need to increase competition with the iphone any more.

14. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Nintendo doesn't release games on non-Nintendo hardware. Ever. Even in markets where the hardware they make is not in direct competition. They've never made PC games, never allowed PC ports of their console games, and have never done the same for the mobile market either. So even though DS is NOT in competition with iTouch/Phone (and it's NOT as they are in separate markets of the game industry, portable game systems and mobile game platforms respectively), Nintendo will NEVER make a game for this platform. Ever.

Sega, on the other hand...I think they're just taking their time. They're obviously VERY happy with the returns on investment they've made with Super Monkey Ball for this platform. It's just a matter of getting Sega Mobile in gear. Remember that Super Monkey Ball for this platform wasn't developed by Sega Mobile, only "published" by them. Other Ocean Interactive, an outside studio not wholly affiliated with Sega, developed the game for this platform. So maybe Sega Mobile just needs more time and has things in the pike. I know they'd probably like to have some ports of older games, so they're probably busy with those.

Frankly, I'd rather they take their time than rush something out. That way, more spit and polish.

And, NO, they are NOT waiting for the RUMORED "premium price" section. That likely will not come to fruition, and Sega will turn blue in the face waiting for such a thing to come to be.

15. oh man hahaha

2 of the most disappointing systems to ever be created in the history of video games

angry video game nerd's review of sega CD:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/19089.html?type=flv

angry video game nerd's review of 32X:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=19558&type=flv

16. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    #16 Donburns99, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
    I loved the SegaCD and 32x. :mad:

Tempo for the 32x, Popful Mail, Shining Force CD, Sonic CD and Vay for the Sega CD made up much of my childhood.

17. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    And Sega CD and 32X weren't "systems". They were add-ons. Peripherals. That was the whole problem with them.

Still, my Sega CD gave me access to Sonic CD, Shining Force CD, Snatcher, Rise of the Dragon, Lunar, Vay, etc. It was a good add on, but, of course, as an add on it was bound to fail. Add ons sell less, and Sega wound up splitting their own market. Same deal with 32X, to even more disaster. They should've just focused on MegaDrive/Genesis as is. They're market share in Europe was secure (Nintendo never won in the PAL markets until recently with the Wii), and in the US they remained competitive until they took their eyes off the golden goose (Genesis). They shouldn't have worried about Japan. They were never in contention there anyway. Even PC Engine beat them in Japan.

18. Their Puyo Puyo Flipper is in the top 30 of all apps in Japan app store.

19. hallah

hallah Member

Feb 23, 2009
    It would be nice to see their old Nights title make a comeback. Seems like it would lend well to touch controls too with its circular design. Maybe it's because of their close affiliation with Nintendo now..

20. hallah

hallah Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Oh yea, I played that in Japanese on the DS. That game is crazy! 8 player madness lol..