What happened to Appsniper?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by BOWB4ZOD, Jul 23, 2009.

1. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Holy crap it's sooooo much faster after the update. The interface has been changed a bit as well.

2. b_o_h_i_c_a

b_o_h_i_c_a Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    search isn't working for me either. I heard that if your search is two or more words then it crashes and boots you right back to your springboard page. Single word searches seem to work though. Weird. I think this may be a case where the developer made their money and ran, abandonware I think it's called 

3. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Confirmed

Crashes for me too; OS 3.0 on a 3GS. So frustrating.

4. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    well no it was abandonware which was the whole them of this thread but seeing as an update has just been released (wether it fixes all problems or not) it can definately at the moment NOT be called abandonware !

5. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I thank Manta Research for a most excellent update. Much faster load time, tweaked UI and now the database seems to be current. Nice!

6. b_o_h_i_c_a

b_o_h_i_c_a Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I have read through many of the recent reviews of this app on the iTunes app store. They are mixed. Some people claim to be experiencing no problems at all and lots of others are experiencing the problems listed in this thread. I think the positive 5-star reviews are being left by a bunch of shill reviewers. I guess the developers are trying though, as they released a recent update. But I'm still upset. Before anyone quips back telling me I shouldn't be upset because it's only a dollar, I don't care if it's one dollar or one penny. It's not right. Good for the dev's. They got my dollar. I hope they are happy. As far as I'm concerned, I hope they use it to buy something off the dollar menu and choke on it. :mad:

7. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    The searching crash has been fixed already in v1.9 :eek:

8. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    i think the developers went on holiday with the first load of cash they made, and are now back feeling refreshed :)

9. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    ok i correct my previous message !
    Now a new update and an apology from the developer !

search with spaces now works !

horray looks like appsniper is going to be back and kicking arse !

10. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    I'm pleased with this update as well. I've even tentatively removed PandoraBox from my springboard. :)

11. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Same for me! I'd been using Pandora Box which served its purpose well, but I'm content with AppSniper 1.9 enough now to retire Pandora Box for a while.

I've always preferred AppSniper (especially with its ability to block certain developers -- Brighthouse anybody?) and its more current database. AppSniper now seems to be keeping the database very up-to-date, I'm finding stuff there pretty much immediately after I read about it on these forums. Also, I'm not finding it's crashing much either. Thanks for fixing it AppSniper devs, and for keeping my old snipes safe while I wasn't using it!

12. Manta Research

Manta Research Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey guys, I'm back. Nothing could be further from the truth about making money and taking off. I've always been very passionate about this app and spent a lot of time trying to be very responsive with support emails in the past.

Unfortunately I went through a very serious personal crisis the past few months and could not update the app or even respond to support emails. Things aren't back to normal, but they're on the path to recovery and I'm still extremely interested in making this app better than the others. You should expect more frequent updates and added functionality in the near future. I know we have a lot of catching up to do with the new competition and need to win back the trust of our customers.

If you have specific features you'd like to see, particularly in competitive products that you'd like to see implemented in AppSniper, please post here or better yet drop us an email at support at manta.ca. Thanks for your continued support.

13. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    too laggy

14. djflippy

Mar 9, 2009
    We understand. Glad to have you back.

How about a Push Notification, the first time a Snipe List app goes on sale?

I've forgotten, but do you display a badge on the app icon itself when you get a snipe hit or is it just the internal snipe icon?

The features you still have over the competitors are star ratings, cost history, and the ability to ignore select vendors.

Keep up the great work!

15. Manta Research

Manta Research Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks for the feedback! Push notification is definitely something we'll be looking into. We don't currently display the badge count on the app icon.

Other than features that we have over the competition, what features do they have that you'd like to see in AppSniper?

16. djflippy

Mar 9, 2009
    Not much, really.

PandoraBox has a 'Wishlist report' that displays the apps that are on the most user Wishlists, although it tends to just be the highest priced/highest profile titles, of course. Not sure how useful the feature is yet.

Presentation is subjective, but I would say PandoraBox is superior, in that regard. Their icons look closer to the real thing (yours seem smaller, but with the same corner arcs, making them look too rounded), they alternate line colors for clarity, and they have simple grooved dividers.

17. djflippy

Mar 9, 2009
    Mods?

Can we please change the thread title to something more appropriate now that the dev is back online?

"AppSniper updated", "AppSniper is back", "AppSniper requests", or just "AppSniper".

Thanks.

18. Chumbake

Chumbake Well-Known Member

I would love an upcoming games wishlist. I want to write the name of a game that isn't out yet and have appsiper notify me when it is released. Or maybe just write the name of a developer and be notified whenever they release an app.

That feature would put Appsniper ahead of the competition

19. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Good to know you are back. Sorry to hear bout your personal crisis though:(

Anyways, with appshopper doing the job perfectly for me, I doubt I`ll be ever using appsnper again. It`s a nice little app which did save me some money at times, it still has quite a few flaws(already listed in this thread only) which make it a distant second compared to appshopper. Kudos to you for coming up with this idea for an app which allows the user to track sale prices though:)

Still, for improvements I found Chumbake`s idea for pretty interesting. Also it`d be really useful if there is a way for me to use appsniper content like appshopper. You can keep it closed to only the people who bought the iPhone app. Push notifs would be nice, but given the not too desirable implementation of Push by Apple, I`d rather prefer appshopper style email notifications.

Anyways, best of luck for your app and more importantly your personal life:)

20. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    a big welcome back !

yours was one of the first apps i bought and i was sorry when things when wrong / bad, i hope things are looking up for you and wish you well !

agreed push for snipe list would be good but appart from that its a pretty damm perfect app :)

ps agree we need to change the thread title !