What happened to Appsniper?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by BOWB4ZOD, Jul 23, 2009.

1. BOWB4ZOD

BOWB4ZOD Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Director, Producer, Editor
    Ontario, Canada
    Seems like they have stopped updaing appsniper.

Does anybody know what happened.

The app needs to be updated for os 3.0. It can't seem
    to find some apps and you can't add searched apps to the snipe
    list anymore.

What is another program like app sniper?

2. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
  3. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    Not an app but brought to you by the guys behind TA =

http://appshopper.com/

I went from AppSniper to PandoraBox to AppShopper and LOVE it. I can access my AppShopper account anywhere with an internet connection (not just on the iPhone) and view updates, new apps and price drops and I can store a list of my current purchased games and keep a watch list. Plus you can receive emails on app updates and price drops. You can't get any better than that.

4. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Appsniper was great when it first came out, but I dont even use it anymore. I just go to appshopper. The reason being is because appshopper lists the new releases at almost the moment they hit the store, whereas appsniper sometimes takes severals hours or even days to list a new release.

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Arn is also actively developing AppShopper so if you have a good idea for the site you'd like to see implemented, post it or send him a PM. ;)

6. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    It would be nice if Appshopper could be made into an iphone app like appsniper was made into one, but only if it would remain as quick to list the new titles as the appshopper website is.

7. chrisrushing

chrisrushing Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Chattanooga, TN
    if appshopper was an iphone app as well i'd be down.
    but i use pandorabox for the time being... i always have my phone.

8. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    I would think a web app would be easier to implement and be much more scalable than a native app. I'd prefer that instead of a native app taking up more space when it really isn't needed, IMHO. Anyway it works great through Safari on my iPhone. I don't have any complaints.

9. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I would kill for an AppShopper app. I like just being able to quickly check the app icon to see if there is a badge, alerting me to a snipe/favorite. Not to mention the fact that if it is branded with the TouchArcade name, most people here would use it.

10. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I only recently found out arn made appshopper as well, that's pretty damn neat.

How does updating it work anyway? Did he get permission to access Apple's database or something?

11. Fazzy

Fazzy Well-Known Member

An app would waste some serious battery life, with apps being added, repriced, and updated all the time. I don't know if a mobile version of the site would work, though...

12. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    I was an AppSniper addict, but it really has gone to shit, sad to say.

I downloaded PandoraBox, but it gets too flooded with those garbage titles that I'd normally have banned on AppSniper. :mad:

This might not be an option for a web app, but a filter by ("ban") developer option is really key for these types of applications. If there is ever a dedicated AppShopper app made, please include this option!

13. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    This is why we need a Touch Arcade/AppShopper app. I think it would sell pretty well :D

Optimized TA browsing and integrated App recommendations, reviews, and filtering!

14. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Get Appminer. It's just like sniper, but free, and it works on 3.0.

15. b_o_h_i_c_a

b_o_h_i_c_a Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I was a bit late to the party and just got AppSniper a week or 2 ago just to see what everyone was raving about. The way AppSniper is now, I have to say it sucks. But I'm sure at one time it was very good. It doesn't even allow me to set up a snipe list. Unless they update and / or fix it, this was a total waste of a dollar for me.:mad:

16. MaskU2See

MaskU2See Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA

I agree.
    Seems like the developers gave up on this app, or simply made their money and took off. There was a time when the developers were very active, even on this forum. It use to work pretty well in the past.

I guess to some developers, their apps is a work of passion and love and of course some reward. To others its a get rich scheme, nothing more and nothing else.

17. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    +1

It works far better for me in safari/iPhone than appsniper ever did. I`d actually prefer this over a native app for appshopper. Nothing worse then switching apps back n forth. Using it via browser lets you check it out without interrupting your trolling missions at TA forums :p

And with email notifications there is no way I could miss an app on sale. I missed quite a few while using AppSniper.:mad:

18. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    it seems hard to believe BUT there has been an update !

19. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    :eek::eek: Thats really hard to believe.

20. tadad1

tadad1 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Uranus
    I have been using PandoraBox and I noticed the AppSniper update was available today so I downoaded it, re installed it, fired it up to test, opened search and typed "Resident Ev.." and it crashed everytime I got to the "v" so I deleted it again.