Apple TV What happened to Afterpulse and GT Spirit?

Discussion in 'Apple TV Games' started by ac166, Nov 30, 2015.

1. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Two games which were hyped as launch titles seem to have vanished...

Afterpulse was one of the games shown to press at the launch event, the iOS version is out, but still no ATV version?

What's happened to GT Spirit? Anyone know? It was meant to be an ATV exclusive before the mobile version hit.

:(

2. MarkyR74

MarkyR74 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2013
    #2 MarkyR74, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  3. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

GT Spirit launch trailer is out.

4. MarkyR74

MarkyR74 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Yeap, GT Spirit is now on the Apple TV App Store.
    So go grab it.... And then post on here what it's like as I haven't got an Apple TV lol.
    It's freemium based so would be good to know how intrusive the in app purchases are?

5. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Afterpulse is out. No option to invert Y-axis.

6. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    hoorraayy! :D

7. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    I can't find it on the TV app store.... :(

8. GSport

GSport Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA suburbs
    #8 GSport, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    GT Spirit is up on Apple TV Store. You can only race ghost cars for now, but they said they are working on an update for actual realtime racing with A.I. And possibly online opponents.

9. GSport

GSport Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA suburbs
    GT Spirit graphically is amazing! I see a lot of potential here!

10. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    any chance of a gameplay video? How does it handle?

11. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Just go into the App Store and go under search and type in Afterpulse. It is right there.

The handling is not bad. Visually, it looks like it is going for a Forza Horizon kind of feel, only without the open world. Handling feels more like a car compared to the Need for Speed games, but not as good as Forza Horizon. Acceleration is automatic and I only need to steer and brake manually.

12. GSport

GSport Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA suburbs
    #12 GSport, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    You can go into settings and change to manual acceleration. I prefer that option to auto-acceleration. You can also upgrade your vehicles. The cars are licensed. More manufactures will be added over time.

It looks like it has some IAP. I tweeted developers and asked if we could get a premium version. They did not get back to me on that, but they did responded to two earlier telling me that actual racing against AI and maybe online will be added.

13. CyrusG

CyrusG Member

Jul 20, 2009
    GT Spirit: Meh.

It's a great example of what's to come for Apple TV as it's a very ambitious game that tries to behave like a AAA racer. Unfortunately, it just doesn't follow through at all. The most important thing -- the controls and handling -- are terrible. They're not broken but when you compare it to any console racer, they're not in the same class. The handling is too twitchy (even with adjusting sensitivity) and the camera work (especially on the bumper cam) is poorly tuned and distracting.

At first glance, the visuals are very impressive. The cars look excellent and are highly detailed, but in their obsession with crafting the cars, the developers have largely ignored the environments. The tracks are so poorly lit that everything seems so flat. It makes more a visually incoherent game when you have spectacular-looking cars against a drab background. I appreciate they're likely pushing the Apple TV to its limits, but there are a lot of tricks they could've employed (like static lighting) to make the world more consistent with its vehicles. Even still, I would've considered lowering the detail on the cars if it means bringing more visual fidelity to the environments.

The vehicle sounds are excellent -- I'll give it that -- but sadly, the game falls apart in very key areas. The team behind this has clearly played many AAA console racers but I suspect they've never had any experience making one. The vision is great, execution is poor.

If they continue working on this game, I wish they'd spend all the time on polish rather than adding more content. And if they made a "GT Spirit 2", I'd rather they were a little less ambitious and tried do less and focus on reaching higher quality. Not a perfect example (as this game is too dumbed down for me), but they would've been better off doing what NaturalMotion did with CSR Racing. It's simple but very high quality and made sense as it was, I believe, their first racing game.

tl;dr - skip this unless there's a massive update.

14. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Are you playing this with an MFi controller like the Steelseries Nimbus? It controls great.

15. err404

err404 Active Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I find with the Nimbus it controls OK. It's not bad, but it CyrusG is right, it does not compare to modern console racers. However this can be better tuned as the game get updates.
    My biggest issue is that the game has a lot of distractions from actual racing. I really don't care about laying out the floor space in my garage. It just feels more designed to push freemium IAP troupes than making a good racing game.
    I really want a good racing game on iOS. I'd pay as much as $40 for a true premium redesign of RR3 with no IAP.

16. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    $40? I am paying $60 and above for AAA racing games on my XBox. Ultimately it is the publisher's decision to make it a premium or freemium title, although there are now paidmium titles too.

17. err404

err404 Active Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I say $40 because I really don't expect a forza 6 on mobile. I am specifically talking about a 3 year old product re-worked to a premium model.
    That said, it is our choice to support what we want. I will either give them $40 for a premium game or $0 for a freemium. It is a lost market for them that is not being catered to right now.
    (I am not against all forms of IAP. In fact I think it is important to let people play a game in a limited way before expecting them to pay. For example IAP to unlock other car classes, more tracks, a persistent career mode, etc.
    I wil pay to unlock content, but never for consumable currency. That is the line I draw.
    Buying 'progress' hurts my enjoyment of the game whether I play for free or buy currency.)

18. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    I will be very interested to see what price Apple TV games eventually stabilise at. That said, I still find myself playing Minion Rush and GT Spirit most of the time since they're quite mindless games. Something went wrong with my Modern Combat 5. It keeps reporting some kind of connection error whenever I try to play now.

19. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Into the dead out on Apple TV too

20. CyrusG

CyrusG Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Yes, I'm playing with the Steelseries Nimbus. I dropped sensitivity all the way to the lowest setting and I still found it very twitchy and required way too much precision to take corners nicely. Now granted, others may have a different opinion, but I'm comparing this to my experience controlling cars in games like Forza, Need for Speed and other console racers.