What games would you be happy to pay for again if they updated them ?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Betty 2K1, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Betty 2K1

Betty 2K1 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Hi all,

Long time follower, first time poster.

Thought I'd start my first thread with the question... (sorry if this has been done before)

What games would you be happy to buy again if the developers continued to work on them ? (or be happy to pay for an update ?)

Mine would be (including games that are still possibly being worked on):

Rogue Touch (with updated graphics and tile sets)
    Field Runners (with additional maps)
    Return to Mysterious island (sort out clunky interface)
    Slay (My most played game !) (additional game play features and tile sets)
    Real Racing (with 40 car races)
    Bobble Surfer (although the developers continue to update, I would happily pay for additional content due to their hard work and commitment)

2. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Doom Resurrection. Had a blast with it. Would love to buy more maps and a new interesting story as long as the update is not offered via In App Purchase and downloadable as a separate game or paid update only.

3. sundance kid

sundance kid Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    eehhh
    BFE,AZ
    sway :) and sims 3

4. nic.

nic. Well-Known Member

May 25, 2009
    Malaysia
    As long as both the game and the update is worthy :)

5. DOG87

DOG87 Well-Known Member

why should we buy a game two times just because the devs dont can make a perfect game from the begining

6. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

The only game so far that is worth of non-free updates is Beatrider Touch. But then again I'm not sure what content they would upgrade anyways, since it's perfect as it is.

7. Marioman619

Marioman619 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    qft.

8. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Zen Bound.

If there was a ZB2 at $7.99 with regular paid updates I'd buy. Okay, so you might think that price is a little high but I would happily pay that without any hesitation.

9. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I would gladly pay for new tracks on CS.one. You don't want to know how much I'd be willing to pay....

10. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

X2 Football 2009 Online update + Updated with more animations.

+clubs.

11. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Orions: Legend of Wizards hands down. The game is good as it is, but a few updates *cough* multiplayer *cough* would go a long way to making the game great.

12. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Noted ;)

13. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    lol (and yes I did actually laugh out loud, and now am getting a bizarre look from someone else in the room).

14. unconnected

unconnected Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    London, UK
    Because a game can be 'perfect' when it was released and yet still be improved with additional content.

Take the approach ID are taking with Doom Classic (if/when it's released) - pay for the original Doom levels and then at a later date pay for the add-on level packs.

Remember that additional content != bug fixes, a fair number of app developers have to contract out for art assets etc so adding them isn't free for them, so why should they have to eat that cost to make us happy?

15. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I Love Katamari.

16. unconnected

Jul 21, 2009
    London, UK
    At the risk of being controversial I'd happily pay for in-app upgrades for any decent game to take advantage of the iPhone 3GS's better specs.

Real Racing is an obvious choice (especially after hearing about their internal build with 40 cars for the 3GS). I'd happily pay an extra £1 or two for that - I figure people who pony up the cash for the iPhone 3GS aren't exactly going to bemoan a couple of quid to take advantage of the increased performance it gives (that's why a lot of people upgraded in the first place...).

17. nic.

nic. Well-Known Member

May 25, 2009
    Malaysia
    I personally think that charging extra bucks for taking advantage of the 3GS capabilities is as bizarre/unreasonable as charing for bug fixes. It feels that having a better machine is wrong.

However, additional playable content that is exclusive to people that paid would be nice. The price, of course is justify through the content of the update itself.

It is also interesting to compare the sales of two games that both push out update consistently but one with higher intro price with free updates and vice versa.

Up to this point I've seen more people with a certain level of distaste towards in-app purchases. In the end, an observation is observation, shall not be taken conclusively. Someone should run a poll (Is there any already?) to see at least how our fellow TA-ers respond.

18. unconnected

Jul 21, 2009
    London, UK
    I initially had the same view point regarding paying for upgrades for the 3GS, but if you think about the currently installed user base (that purchase games on a regular basis) and what hardware they're running, I'd imagine you would see that they're mainly made up of iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G owners.

On that basis developers are hardly going to spend extra time and money developing content that can only be played on iPhone 3GS's as it's simply not good business.

The only way I can think of currently to bridge that gap is to pay the developer for the content on top of the existing price. I'd love to be proved wrong on this point though!

19. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    :)

And maybe Sway and Pathpix, perhaps flight control?

20. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Good - now go make it :)