What games were hyped as the best, but went down like the rest!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jbmoney13, Jul 31, 2009.

1. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    :eek::eek:What. When.

I had this game ever since it came out. Tried it a few times, hated the controls and finally deleted it. Time to reinstall now. Thank you robot:D:D:D

2. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    To a certain degree, and I'm sure someone will say this, Minigore fits the bill. It's still relatively early, and the game will only live up to its billing with updates. Yes, I know will people talk about how it has so many 5 star ratings it has, but that tends to be the case early on with hyped games. Only time really will tell if this holds.

3. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I would say the biggest hype/fail of all time was Sim City...

I still like it (bugs and all).. But i know for a fact a good majority of the people excited for it were extremely let down...

4. khangtoh

khangtoh Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Co-Founder/IPhone Dev @ LeftRight Studios
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Was gonna say warpack grunts, saw all the ads on TA but in the end, the hype was more than what the game turns out to be.

5. Nico75

Nico75 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Warpack grunts and I didn't think that sims 3 lived up to the pc or the hype

6. jase23

jase23 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Assassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles. It just seemed like a lame port, not really suited for the iphone, especially not for for $5.99. Frustrating controls, and I got stuck going around in circles during one level of climbing up and down buildings. Maybe if it sold for 99 cents I would be less harsh in my criticism. I can't believe that game stays so high in the paid apps rankings at that price while another relatively expensive game like Rolando 2 is gone from the top 100 in no time.

7. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this thread is supposed to be about games that were hyped up, then failed at the store due to poor quality and a lack of interest, not about games that people personally don't like.

I don't see how the Rolando series, Minigore, or Zenonia could possibly be considered failures, in any sense of the term.

This is for games like Star Wars, that seemed like they'd be great before launch, then sucked royally and failed at the store.

8. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Real Racing nuff said

9. Pyro

Pyro Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    My house
    How? Not only is it an amazing game, but it did pretty well in sales. It hit the top 50 a couple times. So, no. Real Racing was certainly not overhyped. It deserved every bit of it.

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I wouldn't really say it "went down like the rest" either. It's a $10 game that has been featured many times and has made multiple appearances on the top 100. I'm sure they've made a decent chunk of money on the game. Have they recuperated their development costs? Hard to say, but if they developed the game intelligently they'll be able to roll over most of the tech to additional games.

11. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Real Racing is a great game, but ya know what woulda made it untouchable, into one of the best ever? ONLINE MULTIPLAYER. It could have and still could be added, though I doubt it will.

12. BroonBottle

BroonBottle Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I've not played Peggle on the iPhone but I have played it on other platforms and really don't get why it's so hyped. It's not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination but where's the challenge? First time I played it I got through loads of levels without a hint of a problem. It's definitely high on my list of over-hyped games.

13. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    No way on the Peggle one, that's like one of the greatest iphone games of all time! Common now...4.5 star average rating in the store from 4082 people! You say its overrated? You are in the minority for sure.

14. BroonBottle

BroonBottle Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Indeed I am! I'd still give the game a solid 3 to 4 stars I just wish it was a bit more challenging, I'd like to see a 2 or 3 balls less on a lot of the levels to make it tougher. Maybe the later levels are more like that but I got bored once I'd breezed through the first couple of dozen levels.
    I had it on the iPod classic, I assume the iPhone version is essentially the same game even if it looks a bit more sparkly.

15. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    "What games are hyped as the best, but went down like the rest?"

Your mum

16. zoolum

zoolum Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Need for speed, totally overhyped, especially compared to Real Racing.

17. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    :confused:
    You do realize this is Touch Arcade -forums for game discussions. Whats the point of such a post. Or you mistook it for some kind of "Worst-PJ-forums". In which case that wasnt a half bad effort. You might win the contest for the crappiest n irrelevant pj:rolleyes:.

18. eVp

eVp Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    I'm two levels away from completing extreme grand master, and yes, it is challenging. Getting 100% on those later levels requires around 20 free balls or some well thought out massive shots. Also, some of the challenges are to pass levels starting with just one or two balls.

19. hawks12thman

hawks12thman Well-Known Member

Rolando
    Zen Bound
    Peggle
    Minigore
    Spore

20. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    #40 le'deuche123, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
    brian this game demands your attention now!!!!:)

CIOCIO's right though, I for one am guilty of vehemently defending the game. It's my baby! I ****ing love it, and it pains me to see others trash a games fundemental mechanic when many people prior to reading the negative review, would have enjoyed it. Granted the game has some very real short comings, but it's as indie as it gets, and is completely original.