What Gameloft needs to work on...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Scaramoosh, Oct 12, 2010.

1. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Excellent post

Thanks!

2. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    That's because the app store is (mostly) a free market.

Not where developers have to pay $20,000 for test units and microsoft/sony/nintendo takes $10+ out of every game sale.

3. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Well, that clears everything up, then. :p

4. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #64 Teknikal, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
    I've bought quite a few gameloft games and to be honest they are all pretty good at least the ones I've bought so far.

Ok their mostly clones but they are not bad at all I agree they don't quite have the polish of the originals but for the price you are paying their exceptionally good the only bad thing I can really say about them is they don't seem to fix bugs I really like dj mix tour but a minor freeze nearly always ruins my score.

First two apps I bought on the app store were actually both gameloft namely Nova and GT Racing. Oh and if none of that convinced you the girl on their podcast is hot.

5. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Apple takes 30%. So if apps were the same price as console games, 59.99 Apple would be taking almost 18 bucks each game.

6. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    LULZ at the thread name change. Was that really necessary.

7. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Back when I started on this forum, I had near-enough the same mindset as the OP.

However, as time has gone on, I have seen how Gameloft are leading the way in innovation on the AppStore with high-quality cheap games.

I say innovation. You mentioned that Gameloft does not innovate, but copies games over from other platforms. I disagree. It innovates the mobile game market. It constantly tries to push the boundaries (as we have seen with Gangstar and Modern Combat 2). Gangstar: Miami Vindication attempts to create a whole sandbox world with missions for an extremely small cost ($6.99). Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus is, in my opinion, is the best multi-player FPS out there. With other modes such as Capture the Flag and so on, it is really good.

So you might argue that these are just 'copies' of GTA and COD, right?

They are not copies in the way that Veggie Samurai is a copy of Fruit Ninja because there is nothing out there on the AppStore that offers exactly the same experience as Ganstar and Modern Combat 2, to the point of it being dubed a copy.

8. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Yes, but when you have a game at $10, apple takes $3, not $10+

9. olliewollie

olliewollie Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    Exactly.

Apples price fluctuates with the change in app price whilst sony and Microsoft would take $10+ no matter what the price.

10. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    You're splitting hairs.

I hear ya though, I happily spent $7 on what's easily the iPhone's best FPS, Black Pegasus. And I'm having a blast with it. It just has no soul.

11. epiclover1

epiclover1 Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Although most gameloft games are rip-offs, that doesn't mean they're bad. If you want rip-offs that are bad, look at trinity interactive. Back to gameloft, rip-offs are not bad at all, as long as they're good. Lets look at the top ten for instance, Doodle Jump is a rip-off of papi jump. Angry Birds? Crush the Castle copy. Like someone else said, the copies are getting higher quality also.

12. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    #72 spidey, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
    I have bought every Gameloft game for 0.99$ (Assassins creed, prince of persia, zombie infection, N.O.V.A, and Castle Magic) . And I have found all of them fun and entertaining!