What Gameloft needs to work on...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Scaramoosh, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    I play some of their games now and then and it's obvious they're just clones of what the home consoles and PC have had. NOVA is Halo, MC2 is COD, Ganstar is GTA etc etc.

This is where the problem lays, none of it is innovative or original, it's all been done so much better on the home consoles and PC. I just think why not play the bigger and better games on them? They control better, look better and play better. Why not do something innovative and original on the platform? Games like Amnesia on the PC use the mouse to open doors and stuff manually, there's an idea for the iPhone, physics translates perfectly to touch screen.

The art styles and stories are really uninteresting and Gameloft have one of the worst 3D engines I've seen with such poor physics. Just try driving around in the new Gangstar and see how bad it is. The shooting is really bad, the controls are so poor and everything about the game is a sub par Vice City.

Finally the A.I is just so horrible, I don't think the enemies have any. Coupled with the poor animations it just makes combat uninteresting and then you're fighting with the poor controls, horrible camera and shooting mechanics. I just wonder how anyone can play these games and have fun. You'd think the multiplayer would be fun but using the camera with the touch screen is so cumbersome that it's unfun playing an FPS.

I think there's a real opportunity to have a real classic on the iPhone. I just think it'll come from someone like Valve or Epic and not Gameloft. Just wish we didn't have to wait so long for the proper big budget developers to catch up . Maybe with Windows Phone 7 we'll get some ported to iPhone cause it wouldn't make sense to miss out on that giant market.

2. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Well I'm sorry you feel that way for gameloft. Many people have said this already, but I do think that they have really pushed iPhone gaming. I am mostly always happy with my purchases from gameloft. I think MC2 was fantastic, and a really big jump for iPhone FPS's. Of course, this is all just my opinion.

3. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    I don't think gameloft is looking for innovation. I think they're looking for profits $$$, and until the major studios step up their game and provide us with "good" mobile versions of their best franchises, then I will continue to happily purchase gameloft's knock-offs.

Gameloft has shown other developers (big developers) that the iOS is a true gaming platform, and while i see other studios playing catch-up, GL continues to out-perform the serious competition, even at their own game. Ex: Resident Evil 4 (iphone) vs. Zombie Infection (iphone).

Innovation or Domination ? Which is more important to you ? Gameloft sells what works. Personally, I'm not looking for a "Secret of Bryce Manor" style game. There are plenty of developers that dabble in the "innovation" dept. I like the gritty, hardcore, console-like experience that gameloft is providing for us.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    There's non such thing as a "Gameloft game" (they vary tremendously in quality and scope) and there's no such thing as a "console game" (ditto), so there's really nothing to talk about here. Titles like Spider-Man or MC:2 are way better than many a PSP and DS game, while games like Iron-Man or HoS would be crap on any platform. It's all about the specifics, which the OP has precious few.

More important, this platform has already produced it's share of classics, and has contributed to the revival of several gaming genres (point and click adventures, board games, to name two). Pretty soon we'll see two or three significant WRPGs, which is more than can be claimed by other portable platforms. I don't see a reason to keep harping in Gamelofts games. If you don't like them just don't play them.

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Do you how many people have already made a thread like this or threw comments like this onto gameloft threads?

but really now? why don't you just not buy their games? no one's asking you too. they're the highest grossing company on the idevice and they really don't want your shit.

original? do you really think that's what they're aiming for? do you think they don't have half-assed idiots like you QQing to them daily about that? their goal is to make games on the idevice to show the world that it is a competent portable gaming device in comparison to the ds and psp. What are you expecting seriously? You're paying 4.99-9.99USD max for any of their new games.

Their graphics and 3d models and art is bland and bad? Really now? I'm not sure what games you've been playing on the idevice but the last time I checked, I really cant find any games or companies that can even compare to what gameloft's bringing to the table. Don't give me crap about what's "going" to come out.

It's only your opinion that the AI is terrible and that the controls/camera are terrible. I find the AI great when putting campaign mode on a hard setting. Why don't you try that and tell me that they're easy? The controls on the idevice feel just at home with screen swipe aiming and touch shooting for FPS as well.

There are no other big name developers spewing out "console quality" games on the idevice. EA can't even compare. Sure, gameloft probably will never throw out a completely original piece of brilliance out, but that's because there's an infinitismal amount of games to bring to our beloved device.

Appreciate for once. You can go buy a psp or ds at gamestop under 100 if that's what you're expecting from the idevice right now.

6. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    The only clone here is these same tired arguments.

Look, Gameloft takes certain shortcuts and/or liberties within the development process. These shortcuts allow them to justify selling their games for as cheap as they do. If you want a true, one-hundred percent console-quality experience, then you must be willing to accept true, one-hundred percent console-quality pricing.

In short, if Gameloft fixed all of these supposed issues, then their games would be worth 2, 3, or even 4 times more than what we are currently paying for them. So unless you are hell bent on spending somewhere between 19.99-39.99 in order to satisifed your iOS gaming needs, then shut the hades up already.

7. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Thank you.

8. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy their games quite a lot!

9. Sukal

Sukal Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Wow. Gamelofts business model is better than I thought. Even people who hate their games still buys them studiously. I mean if you walked into a fruit store and bought a bad apple from a company, do you return everyday to buy another one from the same company? Is the app(le)store any different?

10. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    What's wrong with clones?
    I am a clone.
    Are you some kind of bigot?

11. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    Gameloft's direction is to bring "console" like titles to the Appstore. You're paying ~$5 new for most games so not really much to complain about. Not everyone has a console anyways, some people only have an iDevice, why deprive them of an FPS or GTA-like experience? Let's Golf 2, HoS 2, Spiderman, and MC 2: BP are some of my favorite games on the platform.

And I agree, if you play some of the campaigns on Hard, the AI isn't bad at all.

12. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Gameloft makes the best games on for iOS, in my opinion. Yes, they do rip-off other games, but they do it well and their games are sometimes better than the games they decided to copy.

13. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Indie developer clones canabalt game : people whine even if it's a good game.
    Indie developer clones doodle jump game: people whine even if it's a good game.
    Gameloft makes multiple clones: people defend gameloft.

Just an observation.

...yet these threads are equally as annoying. If ya don't like the game, don't buy it!? Gameloft couldn't give a ratsass what you think they should be doing since what they're doing now is raking in cash. Success is determined by sales, not originality.

14. beachmusic

beachmusic Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2009
    #14 beachmusic, Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
    Did you also observe that Canabalt and Doodle jump are IOS games therefore already available for appstore consumers while Gameloft's inspiration such as Modern Warfare and Halo are console games?

15. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    Who cares? A clone's a clone.

If I clone a sheep, it's cloning. If I clone an apple, it's cloning.

But I do get what you're saying. The console games weren't available to IOS gamers, so it's okay for Gameloft to clone it because there aren't any other option for those console games on an idevice. So your problem is not the fact that it's a clone, but rather that the clone has already been done on the platform.

16. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Also, Canabalt and Doodle Jump are games made by Indie developers, and I don't think Gameloft's clones will impact console sales of those games that much.

17. PHUCK-O

PHUCK-O Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    What's Gameloft? Gangstar is great! It's Rockstar's best game yet.

18. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    I think this is irrelevant. The clones of these games only started coming out when they became insanely popular. You can't really hurt the sales of Doodle Jump with a clone of it. Plus the many of the good clones came after the insanely popular game has vanished from the charts. Canabalt isn't near the top 100, so I don't think the release of Monster Dash really affected it's sales.

But that's all assumptions, just like saying Gameloft's clones don't affect console games.

19. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    #19 marker1c, Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
    Think about what market these games are on. You hurt an indies sales because the games are in the same platform thus directly competing with the market share.

20. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    A little evidence that gameloft can affect sales of other markets:

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Vario...ws.asp?c=24181
    http://nspaceinc.wordpress.com/2010/10/09/n-space-rumor-control/

Do you really think one of those carbon-copies of doodle jump really took a bite out doodle jump's sales?
    The only successful copies of Canabalt were actually pretty different. Monster Dash is an example. But then it no longer falls into the category of a clone, does it? The mechanics have changed substantially and so it is a new game.