iPad What do you want from a game's website?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by firemint, Feb 24, 2009.

1. firemint

firemint Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Making games :D
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi all, I'm working on a web site for a game we're about to release (not Firemint Real Racing, it's another completely different game ;)) so I thought I'd ask you what you think is most important in a game website?

We're making a gameplay video and of course the site will have screenshots, and a few tips about how to get a high score. Is there anything else we should include? This particular game is a casual action/strategy game, but I'm really interested to hear what you want from a site in general, rather than for this game in particular :)

All suggestions and feedback welcome!

2. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    lots of videos and screenshots, accurate information, links to outside articles about the game(s), links to app store, appealing look, forum

3. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Clear information on how to contact someone if you need help or questions answered. Also information on gameplay itself - maybe a copy of the help/instructions that are in the game would be suitable. So I can see this information without having to buy the game to find out how to play!

4. Many times in app store it highlights it has x number of this or that. You can do this function or this function but doesn't adequately describe how to play. Screenshots sometimes don't help either. Videos give a better idea but if one is seeing it the first time it's like a puzzle trying to figure out what the objective is or if known how to achieve it. This isn't most games / apps but does happen more often than I'd like and frustrates me to no end. So I guess if you have a clear explanation of gameplay on your website that's a bonus for me.

5. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    It should have a forum-like area where users can discuss the game and pass on tips and tricks that they have discovered during their time playing the game

6. nuggetsman28

nuggetsman28 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    charlotte
    givaways and contest are #1

7. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Stop doing that. Anyways, I'm in for the forum. It's good to have one in-depth about a specific game.

8. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    I would love to see gameplay videos, what you are working on to improve them game, and links to some professional reviews. What you are doing to improve is BIG because it will give a little those who are sitting on the fence. Also have an option to e-mail you because a personal connection with the dev will make buying the game a personal obligation, but this only works if YOU RESPOND.

9. #1 for me is soundtracks !

i love making ringtones, especially 8-bit ringtones

10. arykmax

arykmax Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    iPhone wallpapers. I don't imagine it would be too much work for someone to make a few wallpapers for us to download promoting the game.

11. firemint

Feb 5, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks!

Wow, thanks so much for all the great suggestions! I'm sure we'll be able to do some of that stuff, please keep them coming :)

12. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I think everyone covered the basics, I'd just like to "append" to a couple of them. If you decide to go with a forum, make one forum for all your games. I have enough user names and passwords as it is :D Also, if you put the instructions on your web site that's great, but don't make that a substitute for in game instructions, and PLEASE don't have your game simply link to the web site for "in game" instructions. Make help screens in the game that are actually configured for the game screen. Other than that, I'm curious to see what you've got cooking. Casual action / strategy sounds right up my alley :cool:

13. ficbot

ficbot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    At minimum, instructions for the game and screenshots. Video is preferable. But my number one requirement is that it is up to date with the game's release and shows you something. If I click on an app's link in the app store and it takes me to a blank page, an under construction page or a developer's page with other apps listed but not this one, it is an automatic 'do not ever buy' for me. Don't put the link in your description and release the game until you have all your ducks in a row! If the website isn't ready when the game is, that says 'amateur' to me and implies the game is not wort my hard-earned money :)

14. firemint

Feb 5, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ta-dah!

Thanks so much to everyone who made suggestions. The web site was for Flight Control which was just released a few days ago.

I didn't think the game was the kind that needs an entire forum so I just added the ability to comment on the "how to play" pages, thinking people might like to share some tips there.

Let me know what you think!

firemint.com/flightcontrol

15. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Looks great, really keeps to the game's style.

I love the plane crossing over the footer of the page, as a web developer myself I really appreciate something like that. ^ ^

Navigation is simple, yet efficient.

I can find what I'm looking for easily, without any hassle.

The information is easy to digest and understand.

Plus, contacting the developer is very easy to do.

Overall, a great AppGame website. :)

16. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    #16 Benegesserit, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
    Screenshots, video (it must show gameplay in it), links to other games you have done, price (dur), and latest version info (including release notes).

EDIT: Excellent presentation on that website. It's informative as well as stylish. Maybe you should make some extra money designing sites for other devs.

17. LazySumo

LazySumo Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Well it's been a while since I've bought a game simply b/c of the website, but I love the design! Reviews of the game on here and on the apple store were very good as well.