What do you think of average English speaking game developers?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by q8phantom, Feb 14, 2015.

1. q8phantom

q8phantom Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Game development
    Kuwait

Well, as the title says, What do you think of average English speaking game developers?

I have average English skills, but at the same time I love to write and discuss together with the community about my game development, so what is your recommendations for me?

What do you feel if you like a game, but found out grammar or English mistakes on the developer blog (Providing that the developer make sure the final game is not affected by grammar mistakes)​

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Bad english puts me off buying a game. I wouldn't release a game in China or Japan which might have errors. With cheap translation services on the net I don't think there's any excuse nowadays. Some of the spelling mistakes I see on game screenshots in the app store are laughable

The devs must be clever to create these games but ruin some of them with poor spelling

3. q8phantom

Apr 26, 2013
    Game development
    Kuwait
    #3 q8phantom, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
    Thanks for the reply, Properly I didn't mean in game spelling or screenshot, Like for example mistakes while doing a "blog" post.

Off course translation is very bad, for instance I do develop 100% English games, I have a story writer who does the writing for all the game from A to Z, but when it comes to communication like for example writing on touch arcade, then it is me who's doing the writing, so do you recommend that I also should focus on my posts here on Touch Arcade and Social media as well to be grammar error free?

4. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I don't think it matters as much as it would for game screenshots. you get people who pull people up on bad grammar and spelling mistakes on every forum. I think if you post is clear and the reader can understand then it's ok, and people who point out an occasional spelling mistake or misplaced comma look smug but I think I'm in the minority there.

If a post is littered with lots of errors it can make it difficult to read and it's possible to take the text as meaning something else, but an occasional mistake is fine imo.

Edited, if the blog is promoting something you are selling then yes, I'd take a bit extra effort to make sure spellings etc are correct.

5. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Do your best to make sure your marketing materials are correct. In-game text should at least be clear, especially with instructions, and the better the localization, the happier players will be.

As for communicating with fans on forums and such, don't sweat it too much. As long as you're not getting into arguments, mistakes don't usually cause communication problems. Even native English speakers are pretty careless in these situations.

6. q8phantom

Apr 26, 2013
    Game development
    Kuwait
    Hello guys!

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate your feedback, regarding the "In-game" text, as I have mentioned earlier, I'm hiring a professional writer to do the text for all official text and documents.

Now, only that the communication here on TouchArcade + my blog is written by me.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    On a blog or forum I woudnt worry at all. Lots of people from all over the world here

But the screenshots on the App Store I would get 100% right as I think they're important as anything to help sell your game. If Devs dont get those right it makes me nervous thinking how many bugs are within the game itself

8. q8phantom

Apr 26, 2013
    Game development
    Kuwait
    Thanks, it look like everyone agrees on the same principle! Just wanted to listen to you guys, and work accordingly. Some other fellow devs may find it useful as well.

Someday I will fly to US or UK to perfect my English skills! I see it now as a really important factor.