What do you think about the DSi?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by yourofl10, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Kimtopia
    I've had my DSi for a couple weeks now because I ordered mine directly from Japan. I absolutely had to have PINK:D

If you already have a DS, I don't think there is much reason to get a DSi. I used the opportunity to pass my older DS Lite down to my son as my excuse. (That and not telling my husband exactly how much the new one cost!)

I think I will miss the GBA port but I can use my sons' DS if I need to. There are a lot of great old GBA games out there.

I have no interest in playing music on my DSi so I haven't even tried it.

The camera seems kind of cool, but all the messages are in Japanese so I haven't really figured out what it does. I guess I will have to load up My Japanese Coach for the DS so I can figure out all the controls!

The recording function was really fun. I recorded my son practicing guitar and we got a kick out of that.

The screen is a little bit bigger. It is only really noticeable if you have the old and new side by side.

If you are in the market for a new DS, this is the way to go. If your old DS Lite works, I wouldn't bother until some killer game comes out that you just have to have.

I disagree that the DS is for kids. I'm a 40-year-old mom and I have been playing with Nintendo DS handhelds since GameBoy Color. (Pokemon Yellow was my gateway drug!)

2. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    Me too and I'm an older female gamer too :) I enjoyed my DS when I had it.

I think it's cool that you are getting a lot of mileage out of your DSi

3. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    #23 The Game Reaper, Apr 13, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
    I love my DSi. It has absolutely killed my addiction for the iPod, which is kinda sad. The whole new UI is great, so is the camera. The web browser was kind of disappointing because of the controls. Nice scheme but no zoom out! The sound channel is pretty cool, they have Mario and Star Fox visualizers. Also if you tap the L and R buttons you can drum to the song and there's different instruments to choose from. What I found really annoying is that if you close the screen it stops the music. And the fact that you can only play AAC files, so all I have have to listen to atm is the Maccast and TWiT. I'm in the process of converting my entire library from mp3 to AAC. The screens are noticeably bigger and brighter. I traded in my old DS Phat and my entire arsenal of Wii games and got the DSi for free! Lastly, what's all this rubbish about a VC on the DSiWare?! [EDIT] Sorry just read it on TheWiire. When's it coming to Europe?

P.S. You get 1,000 free nintendo points with the console.

4. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    #24 Stykman, Apr 13, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
    I have a ds lite and I think the DSi is a worthless piece of garbage(wanted to use a more neccesary word) who would want a ds store that's what wiiware or watever is for

Dsi has no gameboy slot and
    And what's the point of a camera?? Isn't that y u have a phone or an actual camera? Hmm what else can I talk about
    Why do you need DSware? It's pointless....
    and what's the point of using your ds as an mp3 player if I had one I wouldn't be carrying it around to listen to music I have an iPod ;)

I have a ds lite and was very happy with it but got bored of it but now I think I might play it with pokemon platinum :D

5. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    IMO, did you research before you post?
    DSi is thinner then DS lite
    DSi store=wiiware store PORTABLE thats why. to take it around. download a game and play it anywhere unlike the wii.

come'on, gameboy is a dying platform and honstly, i dont WANT to play any of those games anymore
    the camereas are to a). take pictures and edit them or b). use the camerea in game (i.e. move your head a certain place in the camerea to win the game.)
    and people are fans of all in one devices, a system that does games WELL (unlike idevices), music, annnnnnnnnnd a camerea. DSi shop lets you download whatever you want as well. and plus, my little brother doesnt have any ipod, but if he gets the DSi he will use its music.

6. Stykman

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    how are the cameras neccessary in games

can you video chat with them via wifi???

7. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I was totally addicted to my phat DS until it broke, which was a good year later. And I had my DS about 2 years ago. So, my question is, having a touch and all, would it be worth it getting the DSi? Are there titles made for my age (teens)? I could probably save up enough by October, so?

8. Stykman

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    You'd probably buy games according to your favorite genre so i like RPG adventure games so i would buy legend of zenda or pokemon or something.

PS yourofl il sell ure brother my DS for free all he has to do is pay 100$ S&H

9. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    I won't be getting this. I haven't played my DS in ages because they don't put out enough quality games. (however to be fair, I haven't tried most of the newer titles). For a system that launched 5 years ago, it's now only got two decent looking FPS's. Metroid, and Moon.

I'm sure it's fine for all the casual gamers out there, but that's just not for me.
    no matter how many cute female celebrities grace their commercials... ;)

P.S. I'll have to finally go get the zelda ds game that came out some time ago.
    to be honest, I think I'm more into GBA games than DS at this point.

10. Stykman

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    Phamtom Hourglass?

11. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    they arent necessary but if used right can be awesome
    such as in backyard hockey'10 you move yours hands to catch a puck coming at the goalie.

12. Stykman

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    Backyards hockey for wii??

for the ds wouldnt you have to put it down to move around??

13. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    for DSi
    god gave us two hands man, use em

good point though
    i am just saying the camereas CAn be put to good purpose

14. Stykman

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    ill wait and see if the dsi is eventually worth it

i have lost interest in video games from systems like like the xbox wii PS3 Etc.

15. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    yup that's the one. I'm a big zelda fan, but got kinda burnt out on the DS after playing so many weak games.

16. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Phantom Hourglass is worth your while.

17. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Welcome to the club. (I do to)

18. RaZrVIN

RaZrVIN Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Currently unoccupied.
    The Empire State, America.
    I probably wouldn't get it, I would just stick with a DS Lite. And I sold mine when I got an iPod Touch 2G. Now the only reason I'd buy another DS is for that new GTA: Chinatown Wars, as it does look pretty bada**.