What do you do before downloading a game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by rajonbuzz, Mar 14, 2015.

1. rajonbuzz

rajonbuzz Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    The first impression we get before download any game is the icon of the game. My question is ‘What do you do after pressing the icon?’ Do you guys really go for the description? Do you think screenshot is good enough to describe a game? Or is it necessary to hear someone else before downloading a game?

2. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Before I even consider buying I see what's popular in the threads, listen to feedback from others who've bought the game, hear from friends recommendations, read reviews, basically to a full research (might be a quick one at times). I want to make my time worthwhile playing a quality game so I never impulsively hit the buy button nowadays.
    Taking in the quality of the icon and looking at screen shots does play a part when researching a game to buy. I would hope a dev who cares enough to make a quality game wouldn't stick a crappy icon to it.

3. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

This^

4. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Draw a pentagram on the floor with chalk.

5. rajonbuzz

rajonbuzz Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    #5 rajonbuzz, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    Suppose if the game is free. Then what should you guys do? If the game play is good then is it necessary for us to wait someone's opinion?
    @Coldar @Anonomation @Shaun Musgrave

6. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    If the game is free and you have the space on your device to download than I would say give it a go. Worst case, you don't like it and delete it. No harm no foul. Or another option I use on games, I use the watch feature from the TA news and reviews sections, that way I get alerts about Articles or updates to the game via push message. I think TA is the only app I allow push messages for besides accuweather lol.

7. MrBIR (Pavel Ilyenko)

Mar 17, 2015
    I drink tea looking on screen, on the screenshots and read the reviews, comments.

Of course comments maybe as positive as negative, but in general already know what to expect.

8. Shirika

Shirika Well-Known Member

Game trailer with GAMEPLAY is a key selling point

If its free i just download and try it if the trailer/screenshots looks decent

If its paid i check out youtube/toucharcade/appspy for hands on/gameplay and then decide.

9. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    #9 Adams Immersive, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    I go on YouTube, and if the official video doesn't have gameplay within the first 3 seconds, I don't download.

Just kidding :) But wow, it's tempting... Nobody outside the company CARES about the 30 seconds of dramatic text titles with dramatic music! I wouldn't even do that for a teaser (unless it relates to an already-understood previous game maybe). Concept art, still shots, gameplay video, etc.--all good! But not just words, however excitingly animated they may be.

Yes, I too look at description and reviews--and What's New including the last-updated date (in case it's abandonware that might stop working with an OS update). Star reviews don't matter as much as review text, because that's how you spot the fake ratings. And I look for off-store reviews (mainly articles/forum topics here).

10. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    See the screenshots first. If I like them, I'll see the gameplay on youtube and download after I like the youtube video.