What do I do if a game constantly crashes on startup???

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by BrettArchibald, Jul 23, 2008.

1. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    #1 BrettArchibald, Jul 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
    I paid for the game CubicMan Deluxe, downloaded it to my Mac, synced it to my iPhone, and played it once.
    Great so far.
    However, when I went back some time later to have a second go, whenever I launch the game, it shows the "splash screen" for a second or two, and then just crashes, taking me back to my home screen.
    I've tried re-starting the phone, I've got plenty of free space on the phone...
    I just don't know if this is a common issue and if there's a common fix for it?
    Anyone able to shed any light on this?

P.S: None of my other games crash on startup - only CubicMan Deluxe.

2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    strange. when that's happened to me, I just turn the phone off completely (hold the sleep button until it asks you to power down)

The next step would be to delete the app from the phone and let iTunes reinstall/sync it. Press and hold on the icon and it will start wiggling and there will be a small X at the top left. Click on it. Deleting it is fine, Apple will let you redownload it from the iTunes store for free if you completely delete it. But iTunes should sync it back up anyhow,.

arn

3. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Was about to try your suggestion... Noticed though that when I press the delete X button, I get a warning saying deleting the game will also delete all of its data.
    Seeing as though I got through quite a few levels when it WAS working, will all those cleared levels be deleted? Even though I have since paired my Mac and iPhone together?
    What I'm asking is, when I pair my Mac and iPhone, do all the saved levels in games get backed up FROM the iPhone TO the Mac?

4. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Well, I tried your suggestion, ignoring the fact that I would lose all my saved data -- I hadn't completed THAT many levels, and even so, doing them over again would be fine if it meant I could just get the game working again...
    But alas, the same thing is still happening. :-(

5. paulold

paulold Member

Jul 19, 2008
    I could be mistaken, but I think the jury is still out on what is actually causing this problem with programs crashing. I know I've experienced a crash here and there but for the most part I've had success with most of the applications I've downloaded. So while there might be some buggy applications out there, I have a hard time believing so many of the top developers are producing programs that crash constantly.

I read somewhere that there's a chance there's a memory leak that is causing the crashes, which kinda makes more sense to me. I think something is wrong with the operating system of 2.0 and how it manages the memory of the iPhone. Hopefully, this can be resolved with a future update. I kinda feel like we've seen this behavior before 2.0 came around, just not as extreme. Safari used to crash on me on occassion, in a similar manner, but for the most part it worked.

And just like our computers, I think it's a good idea to restart the iPhone regularly to refresh the RAM, to stabilize things. I know I never turn my iPhone off unless I am restarting it or rebooting it. So it doesn't surprise me when my iPhone shuts itself down, to give itself a break.