What causes my posts to disappear from article comments?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Adams Immersive, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    It’s happened several times in the past month or two now: I spend time crafting an article (not forum) post, and it appears but then vanishes from the page, either by some Disqus bug or—maybe?—deleted intentionally.

I wouldn’t mention it if it didn’t keep happening, but... I’d like save time for me AND the mods :) My posts are always “civil, respectful, and on-topic,” so am I running into some unwritten rules or something?

A recent example is here: http://toucharcade.com/2011/03/14/upcoming-great-little-war-game/

I replied to this: "You mean to say that $2.99 is out of your budget?

I just recently acquired an iPad for testing purposes and were distraught that everything was more expensive on the iPad, even though 99% of the code is essentially the same.”

My reply was:

"Another way to look at it is that iPad games are absurdly cheap, and iPhone/iPod games even more so!

A lot of factors (not just code, but the market itself) go into a game’s pricing, and I’m actually glad the “race to the bottom” has been slower on iPad.

And if a game isn’t worth $3 to me (to encourage hardworking developers to bring me great stuff) then it’s probably not worth my time to play it either.”

I tried three times to post that, and all three times it showed up and then was gone again. The same thing has happened in the past. But elsewhere on the same page, I made a comment that survived.

My first guess was a simple one off-glitch. When it repeated, I wondered if maybe discussion of pricing is off-limits as an unwritten rule (gets old I’m sure). But after my post, there has been much discussion of it by others on the same page, and even some name-calling, which has not vanished. My post vanished both before and after those other posts.

So—is it a bug, or something else? Help me help you :)

Thanks for any pointers!

2. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Well, a moderator may have edited your post, or deleted it. Don't know. Seems like sometimes around here, even though it's supposed to be a forum, there's some underlying level of censoring that goes on. There seems like there's some things they don't want you to talk/hear about once in a while, of course they could deny it, or not admit to it. But I suppose you couldn't prove it one way or the other, either. I've seen sometimes when there's a thread going on, and it gets a little heated, suddenly the whole thing disappears off the radar completely. I'm not saying that's what happend to you...I dunno.....

3. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Sounds like a disqus bug to me. Believe me, no one will bother to remove someone's post thrice. They'll just ban your account instead if they didnt like your comments. Much easier :p

4. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Good to know. Maybe the repetition is because it’s not a bug with my own post, but some bug with the post I’m replying to: it messes up replies. Only Disqus knows for sure!

That I can see the need for (sometimes) unfortunately. I once moderated another forum, and occasionally there’s just no salvaging a total senseless multi-page flamewar! In those rare cases, some decent posts that are mixed in may get lost with the rest when the thread is removed.

5. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I just checked the moderator panel in Disqus and you tried posting that 4 times and each time it was flagged as spam. Not really sure what to chalk that up to except Disqus spam detection being super temperamental. Meanwhile fake Uggs and replica jersey dudes comment without issue :rolleyes:

I approved your latest attempt so the comment is there now. AFAIK if someone posts something and we choose to delete it, it will leave a note that it was "deleted by moderator" or something like that. If your post just plain never shows up at all, then it's most likely been wrongfully deemed as spam.

6. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    #6 Adams Immersive, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
    Interesting. Thanks!

Occasionally it seems to me that people flag as spam posts with facts they don’t like or opinions they want hidden. (I say that from seeing one particular article a couple months back where all the comments defending the developer from a certain rant were, by the end of the day, flagged as spam and never came back, leaving the original rant unchallenged.) However, when someone does that to me, I see “flagged as spam” rather than my post just vanishing. So I bet your’e right, and this case was Disqus auto-flagging spam.