What are your favorite word games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by blue ox, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #21 Coldar, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
    Cheraboo-I've been playing Wurdle and Bubble Shuffle. But now I'll have to check out some of these other titles.

I've been wanting to get the game Bubble Shuffle but for $5 it seem a little steep. But I like the untimed mode it has and looks like a real nice game. Only one review (very bland) on iTunes so not much to go by. So I'm asking Cheraboo........is it worth the price? How's it play?

2. b_o_h_i_c_a

b_o_h_i_c_a Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I have many of the word games that were mentioned in this thread, and now Bookworm can be added to the list as well. I did enjoy Textropolis for a while but have to be honest, haven't played it in quite some time as I think I grew tired of the list of cities.

3. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    I really liked Scramboni and Scrabble. I love Scramboni because of the smooth, online play (plus it was free :)) and Scrabble was pretty good because of the good graphics and smooth gameplay.

4. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Wordsworth or textropolis

5. Enk

Enk Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I own WordFu, Scramble, Scrabble, WordsWorth, Bookworm, Moxie, WordJong, and probably a couple others that I forget. But my favorite by far is Bookworm, followed by WordsWorth. I also play Scramble quite a bit because it's really fun with other people with the multiplayer pass mode. So I would definitely recommend Bookworm, it's the best of all the ones I've played. And I've tried to play the highest rated and recommended word games.

6. TideTime

TideTime Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    WordFu is my favourite, also like WordJong and WordsWorth. I'd like to give Scrabble a try now that it has Facebook Connect.

7. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    1: Bookworm: Great polish, addicting!
    2: Wordfu, can't get enough of it.

8. burrows

burrows Active Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Canada
    1. Wordsworth
    2. Wurdle
    3. Word Fu
    4. Chicktionary
    5. Bookworm

Wordsworth deserves to be on the top :)

9. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Wordsworth, WordJong, and Textropolis are still my favorites. I need to try WordFu and BookWorm though.

10. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    i play both scramboni and textropolis a lot

11. WonderingIf

WonderingIf Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Kid herding
    In an alternate reality
    I used to play Word Warp, but WORD FU came along and blew it away. I love the Kung Fu sound effects and the "shake to submit word" option. And the achievements in the game are fun to try and get. Plus you can challenge others :)D), but only on local wi-fi :)(). Still an awesome game, though!

12. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    :cool:

13. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Anyone else like this game.. Frozen Lexicon (Free)
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=308231442&mt=8

Frozen Lexicon is a word based puzzle game in the style of Text Twist and other anagram solvers that will give your vocabulary a serious work out. If you think you've got what it takes, step up and take the challenge!

This free (ad-supported) version offers the same features as our paid version:
    - Standard levels with over 6000 6-letter words
    - Over 10,000 7-letter Avalanche Challenge words
    - Multiple bonuses and hints
    - Save your scores and come back to the game later!

14. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Bookworm because it's a game where I can play 2 minutes to an hour at any given time. Everything is smooth and you can't go wrong with it.

15. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Textropolis
    Wordsworth
    Wurdle
    Scramble
    Bookworm

16. I like Textropolis.

On a side note: I think a really cool number game is Vault Breaker.

17. Xyba

Xyba Active Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Word Scramble!! Its free and theres online play =)

18. Carlsb3rg

Carlsb3rg Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Scramboni: Addicting online play and it's free
    Scramble: Good online play as well and it's free (or was for a while)
    Alphabetic: Not exactly a word game but very addicting with nice graphics, very good price as well (0.99)
    Wordpop: Tried the diet (free) version, it was okay but a bit frustrating when you have left over tiles.
    Bookworm: I liked this game at first but the leveling up is useless and it takes a long time to play (though u can stop and continue later) but the thing is there is no sense of goal or achievement to play for so long and the difficulty goes up very slowly.

Overall : Scramboni and Alphabetic are the best out of the above.

19. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    Can't shake it

My Word Jong addiction. Very relaxing and on a good say quite satisfying too. Tried some of the others; I like scramble (got the free version a few days back). Can't get into Book Worm though. It's all down to individual preference. There's something for everyone.

20. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Wordabble never get's any love. It's perfectly implimented, and with a puzzle of the day which keeps you coming back for more.

Wordfu is just fantastic!

I like Bookworm but there are a few glitches I wish Popcap would sort out. Frame-rate is bad in the Timed Game once the screen get's busy, which makes that mode pretty unplayable. Shaking to mix letters up is really unresponsive too, which again makes the timed game frustrating, and there isn't just a tap button to use instead, a la Word Fu.