What are your favorite word games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by blue ox, Feb 11, 2009.

1. blue ox

blue ox Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    #1 blue ox, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
    What is your favorite word game? Why? What keeps you coming back for more?

I've tried the following:

Chicktionary
    Word Warp
    Textropolis
    Wordsworth
    Wurdle
    Hangman

Of these, despite it having the least polish by far, I've spent the most time playing Word Warp. The other one I play a lot is a new one that I'm writing that will be released in the next month or so.

Biggest disappointment: I thought I was going love Chicktionary, because I thought it would be like one of my favorite Flash games "Fowl Words." It's the same basic game engine, but the rules are changed so that you have to find all the words before the next level. That ruined the game for me.

Your thoughts?

2. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    1. Scrabble - #1 - It's an old classic, can't seem to get enough, specially when playing with another human.

2. WordsWorth

3. Stitch'em Words

4. Textropolis

5. Wurdle

3. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Right now, I use Textropolis pretty much every day. I use WordJong a couple times a week. I have a ton of word games that barely get opened anymore. I have Wurdle, Quordy and Lexic, and while they all have great features (Lexic is especially fancy), I guess it turns out that I just don't like Boggle that much. I've been searching for a Bookworm clone, and yes, I have WordsWorth. It's OK.

Before Textropolis and WordJong came out, I was using Scrabble a lot. I got kind of frustrated with the AI since it always seemed to have much better letters than me. I'd be stuck with 5 "I"s, and it would be putting down 6 letter words :rolleyes:. It also won't let me use my own music which is kind of sad.

I use Alpha Blocks on occasion. Really, I just like to hear the ice cubes crunch when they rise.

4. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    1. Scrabble - I used to play this with my parents all the time when I was younger, so I still love it.

2. Wordsworth - Super addicting

3. Textropolis - very nicely made... It'll last me a LONG time to finish :p

5. thenewconfession

thenewconfession Active Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Grand Rapids, MI
    For me its Textropolis, Word Jong, and Imanji, Wordsworth is great I just don't think it has the same depth as other titles, Imanji takes my number one spot for word game/headache game.

6. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    #6 BrettArchibald, Feb 11, 2009
    If anyone's interested, iLounge did a massive comparison review of 15 word games recently.

[​IMG]

Read the review here.

Cipher
    Imangi
    Lexitron
    My Word Coach
    Pyrus
    Quordy
    Word Jolt
    Word Search
    Word Nerd
    Word Warp
    Word Whirl and WordWhirlFree
    WordJong
    Wordle
    Wordtouch

7. My List of best word games

USA Today Crosswords....love the Quick Cross that comes with it 4 x 4 crossword puzzle with hints across and down.
    Imangi
    Million Dollar Password
    Muddled
    Scrabble
    Textropolis
    Words Party
    WordsWorth
    WordJong
    Word Up!
    Wurdle

8. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    #8 HJJ, Feb 11, 2009
    I'll have to head over there. Their app reviews are posted so irregularly, I tend to forget about them. They give legit reviews, but I really hate how they put so much emphasis on PRICE. They do this unwaveringly for everything they review, and it's kind of annoying. Sure, price is usually a reasonable factor, but they weight it very heavily in their reviews, often dropping whole grade letters because of it.

Edit:
    I also have Word Up (Nerd), which isn't too interesting. And Cipher, which suffers from a gimmicky interface. It's kind of "cool" at first, but after a while, it just becomes tiresome. I get more use out of Cryptoquotes.

9. Lukearcade22

Lukearcade22 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Student/Young Video Game Developer
    United Kingdom
    Well i have:

Textropolis
    Woadsworth

and i play Textropolis LOADS more then Wordsworth

so my fave is Textropolis

10. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #10 Coldar, Feb 11, 2009
    Play a lot and have most of the word games but these have been my favorites (like untimed modes mostly)

TextTwist Turbo (just got it last night and w/ the new update works great)
    Word Warp
    Word Zapper
    Wordle
    Wurdle
    Wordsworth
    WordPop!
    WordPops
    Chicktionary (I agree on not being able to find all the words)
    Muddled
    SuperWord Find
    Textropolis (just using the lite version for now)
    and a few Hangman games as well.

A few that don't get recognized are but are nice games:
    Shake Spell (free)
    Code Alpha (free)
    WordSaladLT (free-has just a 5x5 grid but has plenty game play)
    Sextuple Word lite (free but lots of game play)
    Smash Word (.99)

11. These both have demos
    Diet WordPop!
    WordPops Lite

Just tried both out..and still on the fence...hmmm.

12. wonderbear

wonderbear Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    My favorite word games are:

Textropolis - I love everything about this game from the concept, graphics, sound, interface, and challenge it provides. It may have a finite amount of content, but I am far from completing it and I've been playing a little bit every day since the day it came out. I also like that the developer is open to input and active in updating the program to make it even better.

2 Across - I wasn't really a fan of crosswords until I heard about this app. Content is endless via online download. It is well designed and very easy to use. I find myself playing it when I'm looking to slow life down a bit.

Word Warp - My favorite of the Text Twist genre. I like the simple interface and think for the most part it is well designed. I do wish that it was easier to delete letters though. However, since Textropolis came along I haven't played this game anymore. One thing I did get tired of was using the same 3 letter words over and over and over...

13. Omnithrope

Omnithrope Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    WordJong
    Scrabble
    Wordsworth

14. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    SCRAMBONI SCRAMBONI SCRAMBONI!!!!!!!!! WHy hasn't anybody mentioned it ? It's online jumble vs. real other people, and it's freeeeeee!!!!!!! It is amazing and is on my first page. THe ONLY word game i play.

15. brof

brof Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Software Architect
    Stuttgart, Germany
    WordJong :)

16. mr_mini

mr_mini Member

Jan 23, 2009
    1- Scrabble
    2- Stitch'em Words
    3- WordJong

You HAVE to buy ALL three !! It's one of the best combo out there.

17. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    #17 nattylux, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
    Woot! Thanks for all the Imangi mentions, guys. Glad you're enjoying it. And thenewconfession, sorry about the headache. If it makes you feel any better, Imangi does make you smarter :)

Crazily enough, ARandomGamer.com put our other word game, Imangi Word Squares, into his top 7 APPS. Very humbling to be on the same list with Facebook, Mint.com, Shazam, Tweetie and Bejewelled.

18. drach

drach Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    I have the following word games and like them in this order:

1) Textropolis
    2) Wurdle
    3) Imangi
    4) Wordle
    5) Scrabble

I'm thinking about Text Twist Turbo, although I played Text Twist to death on the Palm platform, and am afraid that it will get old fast for me now. Anyone play on both platforms and can comment on the differences?

19. cheraboo

cheraboo New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    I've been playing Wurdle and Bubble Shuffle. But now I'll have to check out some of these other titles.

20. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Textropolis
    Wurdle
    WordsWorth
    Lexic