iPad What are you still playing?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Suneun, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Suneun

Suneun Active Member

Jul 14, 2008
    The store's been out for what, two weeks? Which games still hold your attention? Which have been deleted or left to rot?

I've been playing a lot more of Trism than the other games. I can't play more than 1 song of Tap Tap before getting bored again for a few days. Aurora's a little too simple (as far as I can tell) to get into it except to enjoy the music.

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I'm still playing

Aurora Feint, the new patch really helped out the new tiles that have different abilities mix things up. AF email: vegantnt@gmail.com

Imangi, it's a great game to really focus on, I usually play in the morning after I check my rss feeds

Galcon, I like to dominate a galaxy or two during commercial breaks

Cookie Bonus Solitare, great game for when I have time to waste and want to chat with people at the same time (I play the free iphone version on fatfreegames.com not the $5 app)

I also have scrabble and hold'em but I don't play them very often anymore

3. wok

wok Member

Jul 27, 2008
    My wife and I have been addicted to Spinblox since the store opened. She played a lot of the free web app version and I think the native version is really polished.

Great for puzzle game lovers, in the same vein as tetris, wario's woods, columns, etc.

4. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    I still play MotionX poker from time to time.

I have a harder time going back to games because I'm trying a lot of new ones. But I still have desire to go back to South Park Imagination Land.

arn

5. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    you should do it arn!

imagination land got an update the other day that tweaked the controls to let you move butters slightly to the left and right while he's flying by tilting the iphone. I was wondering if it makes control tighter or if it is a negligible addition

6. genshi

genshi Member

Jul 20, 2008
    I bought a LOT of games, but I'm still playing Dizzy Bee and De Blob... I just love those two games! In third place comes Texas HoldEm only to practice my skills (I got into the whole Texas HoldEm craze a couple of years ago in real life and was doing good until I got wiped out financial at the end of 2007! So now it's only virtual HoldEm games for me.)

7. matt

matt Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Blogger/Student/Public Relations
    Collins,GA
    I keep finding myself getting lost for hours in Vay. I have never really been that big of a classic RPG fan but the game is fun.

I also keep playing Crash Kart, Dizzy Bee, and De Blob.

8. yoman

yoman Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2008
    I also continue playing Dizzy Bee. Each level can be played in a matter of seconds allowing for easy "pick up and go" moments.

9. blake93

blake93 New Member

Jul 28, 2008
    aurora feint! Love that game.
    HoldEm- just now getting into it
    I have about 10 games, I'm kinds going back and forth, but I definitely LOVE aurora feint.

(this is my first post on toucharcade. I'm on macrumors too though)

10. MattB

MattB Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Web Designer
    Plant City, FL
    I got about 20 games on my iPhone, and about 6 or 7 more that I've taken off the iPhone because they weren't that great. The game that I find myself going to the most is MotionX's Dice Poker. The level of polish and replay value in this game is truly amazing. It highlights what the iPhone can do. The achievements "Gems", the different dice you can unlock, the sound effects on different tables, the menu, the graphics, I could go on and on, but in essence I consider it the most impressive, and fun, game on the iPhone.

Next up is Cube Runner. It's so simple, yet so fun. I find myself doing a quickie while waiting for my food to arrive at a restaurant, while in the car (not driving, of course), while waiting for a commercial break to end. The game loads up fast, plays fast, and quits fast. Perfect for the quickie.

Labryinth would be next up. I've been playing this one a lot in the past couple of days, and I'd consider it perfect if they add the sound effect and animation when it falls into a hole. As it is now, it's a solid 4 out of 5 stars.

Aurora Feint would get a lot more play time from me, but it kept crashing on me for the longest time. It wasn't until today that I had the brilliant idea to not only delete it from iTunes, but also the iPhone, and redownload the latest version. This solved my problem, and fully loads up now. Like MotionX's Dice Poker, this game oozes pure awesome. Like everyone else, I can't believe this one is free. Very solid, great looking game, that is a ton of fun. Further updates hints at a promise of an immense game down the line.

Zen Pinball Rollercoaster has also been getting a lot of playtime from me the past couple of days. Great modeling of a pinball machine in the iPhone, and the tilt effect adds to an already fun pinball game.

I haven't spent much time with Dizzy Bee yet, I just got it yesterday, but I plan on digging into it since so many here seem to enjoy it. Aqua Forest is pretty nice, but I don't find myself going to it very often. Games that I'm not impressed with are De Blob and MotoRacer. MotoRacer just feels wrong, and its more frustrating then fun. I have a bit of buyer's remorse with it, but to be fair, it was my first game purchase and it was before I discovered TouchArcade.

11. Cube Runner and Labyrinth LE for showing off the accelerometer, Super Monkey Ball just because I'm a sucker for monkeys in biodomes, Aurora Feint and Jirbo Jive for free Bejeweled substitutes, and Imangi and Satori Sudoku to keep my brain from turning into oatmeal... I just picked up the iPhone 3G on Saturday, so now I don't have to fight my wife to use my Touch (Jirbo Jive owns her soul in a big way.) She's not into video games at all, but she'll happily play Jive for literally hours at a time.

12. Suneun

Suneun Active Member

Jul 14, 2008
    I'm impressed with the variety mentioned.

13. TheGeekNextDoor

Jul 30, 2008
    Motion-X Poker is always a great quick play. My kids love loading up DotGame and playing it.

I find that I tend to play the games I can get in and out of quickly. This isn't a dedicated video game system. It is a great system for playing during small breaks. Although I wouldn't mind a Johnny Castaway kind of game on it.

14. dugbug

dugbug Active Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Motion x poker for me. I have Dizzybee but it does not quite do it for me.

I'd like to see an ultima 4 clone

-d

15. ReformatPlanet

ReformatPlanet Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    I was in love with Vay for a good amount of time. I missed it on the Sega CD. Great sense of humor and classic RPG level grinding. I havent been able to go back to it since i had a complete system crash and lost my save file in the restore.

I find myself playing Vector Pong pretty often, even with it's cut-throat AI. Great for a quick round, and a recent update added user defined dead zone for motion control, which all games should have.

Tilt me is the best of the marble maze games, i keep coming back to that. Great bright graphics, and the sound effects are almost musical.

Imangi, Trism, and Aurora Feint still get attention too.

16. ChemicalWeather

ChemicalWeather Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I go through a few games everyday, I play a lot of MotionX Poker, it's hard to put down with all the achievements and different dice.

Been working on Monkey Ball more lately now too, sometimes gets nerve-racking especially when it crashes on the 9th level of a 10 level set but i feel the need to get all the levels unlocked

Cube Runner is always fun for those short commercial breaks

Just started working on Dizzy Bee again too

Trying to find a new game to play right now.. dont know which to buy. Was thinking Trism but i dont know how i'd feel about that and maybe critter crunch but that's a little to expensive for me at the moment (same with imagination land) Oh well, hopefully i can find some good ones in this thread, keep em coming!

17. mikeadams

mikeadams Member

Jul 28, 2008
    professional tattooist
    pittsburgh
    aurora feint for sure. its held my interest since day one that it was released. crash racing, cube runner, im actually a big fan of jirbo break. i wouldnt pay money for it but it holds my attention pretty well. and vay, once i figure out how to get out of that darn castle.

18. Adisah

Adisah New Member

Jun 4, 2008
    What I mainly play now is occasionally Super Monkey Ball. I'm trying to unlock all the levels but it's insanely hard. I can't imagine finishing half of those levels. Every time I play the levels, I wonder if the developer can easily beat every level.

Another game I play alot is Cube Runner. I'm currently trying to beat my high score. I'm not currently sure what my high score is right now. I remember that it is about around 500. Playing it horizontal feels amazing, it's kind of like your steering an airplane or something.

Trism, is a game I play very sparingly. The only mode that is compelling to me is the terminism mode (time attack). You are forced to make as many matches as possible and you are penalized if you take too long to make matches.

19. girlgeek101

girlgeek101 Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Trism - Strategy Based App

I can't stop playing Trism trying to beat my own scores and so I can compete with the others in the Community. There are achievements to get, and I'm only missing 5 of the 22 possible.

It's a great game with loads of potential. The community forum is also lively and competitive.

20. Gregz0r

Gregz0r Well-Known Member

#20 Gregz0r, Aug 1, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
    Labyrinth (paid for), Pinball RC, Jirbo Break, Super Monkey Ball, Chopper and Cube Runner are the ones I still like.

The Labyrinth update has the ball animation when it finds a hole, and I got an email from the author, saying that sounds are coming!