What anime are you watching?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Pocketnova, Jan 4, 2015.

1. noah0706

noah0706 Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2014
    A mowing business
    Kannapolis, NC
    Anyone else hyped about Berserk coming back this year?

2. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Hell yeah :D The CGI looked kinda wonky from the trailer, but nothing is going to stop me from watching it.

3. noah0706

noah0706 Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2014
    A mowing business
    Kannapolis, NC
    Woooot!

4. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Watching some Macross F to get ready for the sequel coming out this Spring (? might be summer).

5. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #605 Teknikal, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    Just watched Sora no Otoshimono (Heavens lost property) and the two movies that came after and wow that's gotta be the most brutal ending I've ever seen, amazing that a basically comedy show can get so dark.

Kinda depressed me I might take a break from Anime.

edit: Couldn't accept the ending and looked up the Manga ending I'm happier now I've seen the rest.

6. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I have seen that one but I didn't remember the ending that well. Did it get super dark in the series? I remember the abusive guy. Did it get even more dark in movies?

7. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #607 Teknikal, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    Yeah the movie "Sora no Otoshimono Final Eternal My Master" ended in a very dark place but the manga expands on it and gives it a happier ending. I put a very brief outline of the ending I really didn't like below hopefully inside spoiler tags. But that movies only 50 min long so you might wanna skip that I do warn it will probably be a depressing experience.

The last movie ends with the angel Icarus finally smiling telling him she loves him then getting burnt to a crisp in fact Tomoko is the only survivor and even the earth is destroyed. Roll credits and no expanded ending after them

8. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Finished Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet recently. Thought it was pretty good, not a huge anime fan, but I enjoyed it.

9. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I have been compiling a list of all the anime I've watched. So far it's over 3000 episodes and I think I'm only 75% done with the list. I will post it when I'm done.

10. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    Any recommendation for an anime with a similar style to the studio ghibli movies? I love those and have watched all but just a few, and I would love to find an anime like them. It can be fantasy, realistic, whatever. Just as long as it has that studio ghibli quality and charm.

11. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Wow these things are really catching me in the feels I think that's what's missing from normal TV lately.
    First there was Heavens lost property which knocked me a bit with the ending, then I watched Freezing and while that was enjoyable again the story goes to quite dark places, now I'm watching Shuffle! and it's got me again with the story or maybe I'm just turning soft.

Still I think it's great that these shows actually make me feel something.

12. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    Damn, dude! That's impressive!

13. Just finished watching Terror in Resonance and it's absolutely worth the watch if you're a fan of animes like Death Note or Ergo Proxy, also trying to catch up on One Piece and just started Tokyo Ghoul.

14. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    That's the problem with Studio Ghili, you will hardly find anything similar. After its hard to compare a studio which has significantly longer development time and not have to pander to Otaku with the BD and merchandise sales. Off the top of my head, Shinsekai yori is one that is kinda similar in terms of development, I wouldn't say it has its charm though. A very good series but it definitely ponders towards more serious thoughts (its based off an award winning novel series as well). As usual, when it was released it didn't do as hot as SAO aired at the same time (and the animation kinda shows).

15. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    That was the first anime I watched while it was airing! Good times, a very interesting and aesthetically gorgeous anime for sure!

16. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    Thanks, I'll check those out. I knew it was a tall order, but figured I'd see if anyone had any ideas anyway. And you did!

17. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I know I'm probably letting myself into a world of hurt here judging by "will have you in tears" comments all over the place and the fact other animes like Shuffle! have already rocked me a bit emotionally when I really wasn't expecting it but I think I'm going to have to give Clannad a try.

Just curious if I should watch the anime first or get the HD visual novel from steam first (or at all), my own thoughts to watch the anime then possibly try the game out to see different routes.

Apart from that though I'm still watching a lot of different series, the ones I'm actively viewing at the minute (lazytv shuffle) are Code Geass, The Familiar of Zero, The world only God knows and I've also some others in reserve like Gate, Beserk, Angel Beats and Hunter X Hunter.

18. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I really enjoyed Familiar of Zero

19. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #619 Teknikal, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    Yeah it's fun I'm getting a slight Harry Potter vibe from it, only up to Season 2 at the minute but I intend to watch all 4 of them.

//edited rather than bumping the thread unnecessarily

I actually have been messing about with Clannad since I last posted with my plans of watching it.

I've watched 4 episodes of the Anime, then I went to the visual Novel to compare really but I did find myself following the decisions the Anime made more or less on purpose.

I will say the VN/game is expensive (too expensive really) but I saw a ton more content like jokes/scenes/events and it did have me laughing at a lot of points and genuinely adds a lot of charm to the plot.
    I've probably been messing with the Visual Novel for about 6 hours now and I'm still not caught up completely with the plot from 4 episodes so it's going to be time consuming.

20. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    Have you seen Hoshi o Ou Kodomo (Children Who Chase Lost Voices) or Gin'iro no Kami no Agito (Origin: Spirits of the Past)?

I think Hoshi o Ou Kodomo comes closest to what you're looking for but both are good in my opinion.