What anime are you watching?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Pocketnova, Jan 4, 2015.

1. johncereno

johncereno Active Member

Jan 23, 2015
    trainor
    japan
    I've been watching a lot of anime tv series like, naruto,dragon ball, one piece etc. and i cant get enough with them!

2. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Its popular in Japan, for anime companies that's all that matters since that's where most of the merchandise and BD sales are. The original is a manga and its on something like 150 chapters, they are around chapter 50 or so, so they have quite a number of chapters to adapt from. The manga I've heard is on the same popularity poll (Shonen Jump) as Naruto and Bleach once was.
    I also don't see anime live actions coming over to Hollywood anytime soon, perhaps one in a few years. We've had some live actions that weren't the best representation of the medium, Speed Racer, Avatar (that was even an American cartoon in japanese style and they still messed it up), and Dragon Ball live action show that the medium doesn't seem to transfer over well (even speed racer just did meh despite the high production value). The only recent adaption that was any good was All You need is Kill which was significantly different compared to the original. Currently I see maybe Attack on Titan be adapted (can't think of any popular manga in America except Naruto but I doubt they'll allow Hollywood to touch that for a while) but while it will no doubt be of high production value, the plot may (will) suffer due to certain plot points which Hollywood does emphasize.

3. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    I've really been out of the loop with anime lately! I'm just now trying to catch up on the weekly stuff I am watching, while also starting Monster.
    Kekkai Sensen is still awesome, and the dub was quite entertaining to watch. It gives me an excuse to rewatch all of it, so I'm not complaining!
    Everything else I'm watching is also very enjoyable. Such a good season of anime! Now if only the Psycho Pass movie would come out on DVD... One can hope! I think I saw something about it releasing one Japan on July 16? I'm praying for that.

4. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I think I'm about 30 series away from watching every comedic dubbed anime series made in the last 13 years.

5. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    Well, damn! That's incredible!

6. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    Monster is phenomenal so far! I've watched up to episode 24 and it's just getting better! I can't believe I waited so long to start this.

7. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I'm watching Attack on Titan, its okay.

8. RoboWarrior

Oct 3, 2012
    I thought the BD already came out, I saw the OST online and usually BD come with the OST.

9. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    Hmm, I hope you're right! I haven't been able to find anything online about the BD, but I'll keep looking!

10. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Just finished Parasyte, Akame Ga Kill, and The Devil is a part timer's first season.

Currently watching all the DBZ movies in preparation for Battle of the Gods, just picked it up on Blu-Ray.

11. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Just finished the first season of Attack on Titan, it went from okay to pretty good.

12. noah0706

noah0706 Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2014
    A mowing business
    Kannapolis, NC
    Nice :D

13. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #453 coolpepper43, May 26, 2015
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
    I'm trying to think of any anime that had a good run that started before Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball started in 86. To my knowledge it's the oldest anime series. Not counting astro boy.
    Update
    I forgot about mech series like gundam and lupin.

14. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    Holy hell, Monster was phenomenal. I think I can safely say it's the best anime I've ever watched. So freaking good. A pretty nice ending as well, but not knowing
    Johan and Anna's real names
    was a bit disappointing, but I can understand why that was never revealed.

15. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Watching deadman wonderland

16. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I'm glad I recommend it. I know it's one of my all time favorites. It's soooo good!

17. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    I'm glad you recommended it too! ;) Really was amazing. You have great taste in anime, my friend!

18. florhackson

florhackson Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Does DBZ Abridged count?

19. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    No, go away

20. RoboWarrior

Oct 3, 2012
    #460 RoboWarrior, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015
    There's Kimagure Orange Road, Vampire Hunter D, Maison Ikkoku, Space Battleship Yamato, Akira, and Galaxy Express 999 (my dad's absolute favorite). There are tons more I'm probably forgetting as well. On the one even earlier than Galaxy Express 999, one can see the original disney influence that japanese anime had.