Universal Whale Trail - (by ustwo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 19, 2011.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Decided to grab it after all. Nice game, but I kind of agree with arta that it doesn't really bring that much new to the table and can see my gameplay sessions getting lengthy due to it's lack of challenge in comparison to other games of type.

Still think it was worth the $1. Still think Pilot Winds is the best of the Tiny Wings-style games, particularly because it's got more modes to play with.

2. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Totally digging the game and it's personality...
    Totally NOT digging the icon...

3. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    What kinda scores are you guys getting? I think my high score is in the high 300,000 range and the game session couldn't have lasted more than 10 minutes.

4. AbKi

AbKi Member

Oct 17, 2011
    UK
    The music makes it worth a purchase alone.

5. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    My maximun score is 349,000 so far, did it two days ago. The leader of the leaderboards :p has 775,000, so i dont think this is a easy as some are saying... try to keep a 32x multiplier....

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Yeah, I haven't gotten much over 100,000 (mostly because I often lose my multiplier). I guess to compete on the leaderboards, then it's not as easy as people say. What I was saying was just that you can pretty easily have a gameplay session over 10-minutes and still not get a high score. That length is pretty rare for an endless runner so maybe that makes it "feel" easier.

Not that that's a big deal. It's a fun game and has a certain charm to it. I just maybe didn't get as much of a rise out of it after the initial hype. Definately worth a buck for fans of these type of games.

7. SuperWeird

SuperWeird Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010

Totally.

Reminds me of Ween.

8. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    It's an excellent game... Maybe not on par with Tiny Wings but still very good.

9. littlezoe

littlezoe Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Lucid Dreamer
    In your dreams
    The music of this game makes me feel like i'm on drugs... Even while i never did drugs.. but it must feel something like that music.... lol :eek:

10. macmulisha

macmulisha Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Teacher
    Florida
    Liking it so far!

11. shoresidejake

shoresidejake Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Self-employed
    Jacksonville, FL
    Wonderful game. I'm loving it.

12. Samulaan

Samulaan Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Bali
    Voodoo lady rocks... Reminded me more of Miike Snow. Either way, game on...

13. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    I wonder what you guys mean by lack of challenge. My current top score is 401,031 and I'm having a hard time trying to improve it, so the game is challenging to me.

Maybe they could add a mode where difficulty ramps up faster, should not be too difficult to implement and might make some people happy.

14. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    I wonder the same... yesterday i did 399,000 and damn that was difficult. Keeping up your multiplier in some zones is difficult... try to keep a 24x or 32x.... on the violet, for example...
    Also, new modes are coming in an update soon, according to app description, so maybe they add a colorless mode which could be really difficult? :p
    ...or a black zone.... what i want is a cloud that has lightning bolts, flashes a bit before releasing the lightning, it would be so cool

15. adelaidejewel

adelaidejewel Active Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Digital Media Evangelist
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Pretty much fell in love with this game as soon as I downloaded it.

16. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Game Impressions

There have been a zillion "Tap & Fly" games in the AppStore over the years but there is something unique about this one. The dot trails and cloud formations feel organic (not just like you're moving from one pre-defined area to the next) and the control is very intuitive. I also love how the multiplier works a bit like your lives as well...as long as you can keep your belly full and your multiplier high you'll keep afloat.

17. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    Very nice game. The Music is ace. :)

18. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    This is a very challenging game after all. I am at 700,000+ points with a little more than 40,000 meters. It is very hard to improve from there IMO.

Great game... nice visuals, very relaxing and still very hard to be good at. :)

19. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Guess I wasn't really thinking about the leaderboards when I made that comment about it being somewhat easy. Yes, it's difficult to get really high scores and keep your multiplier up. What I was just saying is that compared to games like Tiny Wings, at least in my experience, you're able to keep going for considerably longer times. Not that that's a bad thing...just makes it "feel" easier.

The game is definately challenging if you're going for the leaderboards. And I realize that is a major component of these types of games, but I'm usually playing for fun and don't usually make the leaderboards anyway.

20. bambambam

bambambam Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Free bump!

Great game and my current high score is ~470,000. Pretty crazy considering my second highest score is like 350,000. But keeping that 32x multiplier for just an extra 30 seconds or so does wonders for your score.

I do wish there was an "easy" mode where I can relax and just go on a long run. (Drastic decrease in damage from clouds, counts towards a different leaderboard, no achievements, etc) It's a surprisingly soothing game with the music and colors.

Some of the achievements look seriously crazy. Reaching the violet zone for the 2nd/3rd time? Wow... mad props to the dozen people in the world that can do that.