Universal Whale Trail - (by ustwo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 19, 2011.

1. LawLessLove

LawLessLove Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Added to Wish List.

2. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Interesting to read your take on it though. It never once occurred to me that the game lacked challenge, I think simply because I found the gameplay experience itself so enjoyable. And I also actually like the more leisurely pace.

I've thought before, sometimes our impressions are definitely coloured by our expectations. I can understand how this game might disappoint if you come to it expecting an "endless runner."

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Thanks. Yeah, makes sense. I'm going to give it more goes in the next few days and see how I feel.

4. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Very cool game. I love the feeling of flying high and having the camera zoom out.

5. SuperWeird

SuperWeird Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    This game is surprisingly awesome. I was expecting it to be good, but it's even better than I thought it would be. The psychedelic graphics during gameplay are really a pleasure to look at, and the 60's-style Beatles-esq soundtrack adds to the trippy presentation. I also love that you can swirl around in loops for a while and check things out, or move along quickly, making the experience both fast-paced and chill at the same time, which all blends with the music and artwork. When I play this game it makes me feel like I'm cruising the Yellow Submarine cartoon on acid... very nice.

Controls are great too. Difficulty is just right IMO; I don't live forever but I also don't like every millisecond. Anyway this is an excellent p/u for 99cents especially since it's universal.

6. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    This game is great. I was initially put of by backtothis' impressions but I am loving it. I actually find the difficulty to be just fine. I'm currently ranked 18 but can't play more tonight sadly. The presentation is wonderful and the amount of achievements definitely adds to the replay value. Maybe tomorrow I can reach 1million :p.

7. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    BETA tested this and it was AMAZING! Will not hesitate in buying this at all :D

8. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    So in the end, is this an endless runner or not? I've bought it but I have just been able to play the tutorial and a quick play. Nonetheless, I love this game.

Btw, Tiny Wings is not endless strictly speaking: the furthest island you can reach is 10, I think...

9. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Gave the game another try. It's still weird that it's an endless runner that doesn't give you a feeling of urgency, but I'm not going to lie, it's fun. Played with the headphones in this time, and I have to say, the art and music go an incredible way for the game. It's a great experience, and I do find it an easy recommendation to fans of endless runners. It's something new. Frenzy mode rocks. Great score multiplier like I said.

10. I've played this briefly on the bus (I find it hard to play games on the bus due to rocking everywhere :p) and was amazed by what I was actually playing, haha.

It's genius so far, but I do somewhat echo earlier statements of it being a bit too easy and long.

11. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Played it for several minutes twice now. Nicely crafted game, but kinda boring after a while, and not just because it's too easy, it somewhat feels like the mechanic is shallow. It reminds me of Chopper in a way, but with an LSD visual.

12. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    The AppStore is full of those, anything as refreshing as Whale Trail is welcomed...

Glad you gave it another try and enjoying this game, thats whats this game is about....

13. caanerud

Mar 28, 2011
    Re: The people commenting on the sound effects earlier....I think they are hilarious :)

14. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Like the game, although it's not as addicting as Tiny Wings, the presentation and controls are perfect. I think the voices are a tad too loud. But besides that, will play more. Congrats for this wonderful and defininitely entertaining title.

15. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    #55 sam the lion, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
    Unless you become insanely good, I wouldn't expect 10+ minute games.
    It's true, it starts easy, but it ramps up. Less bubbles and a maze of clouds make things hard pretty soon.

I honestly believe that this game deserves to become an iOS classic.

16. aggiedeals

aggiedeals Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Does this game come with free LSD? Trippy looking game...but very cool

17. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

I think this is mainly due to the lack of progression. Whale Trail is a lot of fun, but it lacks that sense of progression that Tiny Wings and Jetpack Joyride maintain by setting simple goals with real benefits (nest/multiplier upgrade, unlockables)

18. caanerud

Mar 28, 2011
    Yes, but the 'progression' in Tiny Wings was extremely lame. New nest, really?

I love Tiny Wings, but striving to perfect my swoops to make it further kept me playing, not trying to get a new nest.

I believe that some sort of unockables would add an addictive flair to this game, but I have no idea what those would be. Unlockables and upgrades are great, but in most IOS games they are only cosmetic and not worth the effort IMO.

19. Eraser74

Eraser74 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Hamburg
    That is right, Tiny Wings progression didnĀ“t get me either. Jetpack Joyride however is completely different and Whale Trail could maybe use something like this.

20. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Personally, I welcome the relaxing pace to this type of game. Add some amazing visuals and music to it, and you have something that could indeed become an iOS classic thanks to the polished presentation.

I am sure that ustwo is reading all our positive and negative feedback or whatever issues we have to make sure this truly does become an classic over time.

Of all the game releases on the 20th, I choose only this one and don't regret it one bit! :D