iPad Westward

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NotYou, Feb 3, 2009.

1. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #1 NotYou, Feb 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
    This looks like it could be a winner. As always, there's a chance it's a complete failure, but this looks pretty polished.

[App Store Link, $4,99]

[​IMG]

[hqyoutube]yMgMEMEnQ-Q&eurl[/hqyoutube]

2. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Yeah I just spotted this on AppShopper
    It looks excellent, has anyone tried it yet?

3. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem

At first glance, I thought the description was detailing an Oregon Trail clone. After recovering from a million orgasms, I realized that I was reading wrong. App still looks cool though, and I'll prob d/l and review after I get done cleaning my pants. I mean, if no one has plunged or whatever.

ps

I'm really in class.

4. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    looks great. will definitely check it out. i'll keep you guys posted

5. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

The game sounds interesting. I checked out the game in the App Store before finding this thread and watching this video...which is lucky for the dev. If I'd seen the vid first I never would have looked in the store because this is the worst promotional video I have ever seen. BOOOOring! Friendly advice to the devs...make a new vid! The store icon isn't too intriguing either.

The game does actually look pretty good. I recommend people skip the vid and just follow the link and read the description and check the screenies there. Graphics look really nice :)

6. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Seems like a fun little game, if only they didn't use fugly text for the bottom menus and such. Might pick this one up before my car trip soon if some people post some positive impressions

7. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    England
    #7 DanM, Feb 3, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
    Youtube goes slow on my itouch but from what I saw, it looks good.

But is it similar to the Settlers on PC? Where you build mines and food shops to help your villagers, then you make an army and go do the quests? If so I want it! Any idea how long it lasts?

They should make The Settlers for iTouch! That'd be awesome

8. GtotheA

GtotheA Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Austin, TX
    looks pretty good and sort of like virtual villagers gameplay wise

9. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    You're working on a story actually, rebuilding a town (you have to collect wood for that), making a camp in the forest, making a town successfull. Making a town successfull depends on several things, you will have new people in your town and you have to give them a house and a job, but a house can only hold so many people, and only so many people can do a job. (So you can build more houses for people to live in, or more farms etc. for people to work in.) You earn money to build these new facilities, do assignments (missions, quests) to progress in the story, and keep away the bad guys.

I've played the Pocket PC (Windows Mobile) version of this quite some time ago but at that time I was betatesting many games, so this game didn't get the attention it should have gotten (if I had more time for it). It's not a fast action game. I can't estimate how long it will take you to complete it since I never completed it. ;)

Anyway - for some gameplay impressions you should know that you can go here:
    http://www.astraware.com/westward/
    Then pick a platform on the right, and see if there are any reviews for that platform (in the left sidebar, "Press Reviews").

10. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    England
    Ah, I was on their website but didn't see review section, will check it now. Must be a good game if its been ported to many systems though :)

11. adbjmb

adbjmb Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Solid game here. It's pretty deep with a good story to tell. You play as multiple characters. One day you might be the town lawman holding down the town, then a settler building up the town collecting resources. Overall in my opinion much better than virtual villagers and worth a look if you are into games of this type.

12. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    It calls itself a RTS title. Is this so?

13. Mattman

Mattman Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Yea this looks and sounds pretty nice, but I'm not ready to drop the $ yet. Any more info/mini reviews from game owners?

14. superbad

Nov 6, 2008
    You need to stalk me?
    Love the game and its depth. I am stuck with Daniel repairing the bank. I'm right in front of the bank and it won't change the cursor to hammer.

15. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Walk around, do you see anyone you can talk to? Can you pick up wood already and if so, have you found enough? (Not sure what you need to do here anymore, but it's really early in the game so the requirements can't be too major. :))

Oh! Maybe you can go into a menu and build from there. I believe there was some confusion on the PPC version related to that.

16. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    England
    Superbad or Sprmwinkel, would you recommend the game? Or do you need to play for longer to make decision?

17. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    I don't have it, I only played the Windows Mobile for a bit in the past. I'd say: read the reviews for other platforms. If you're interested, wait for a few reports to see if the game runs smoothly on the iPhone platform. If it does, there is - I believe - a good long story to keep you entertained for a while. I've played games that only lasted a day, or two, but I'm convinced this one takes longer. So you just have to ask if it's your cup of tea.

And to find out wether or not it's your cup of tea, you can click this link and play some Westward online! :D
    http://www.shockwave.com/gamelanding/westward.jsp

18. superbad

Nov 6, 2008
    You need to stalk me?
    i picked up 4 gold bars and 4 packs of wood as directed by the mayor.

now i dont have anyone to talk to as there arent any exclamation points whatsoever.

the last directive was to go in front of the bank and the cursor will change to hammer but nothing's working :(

i dont know what to do :(

19. superbad

Nov 6, 2008
    You need to stalk me?
    i would DEFINITELY recommend the game as soon as i get unstuck... it's just that im stuck and im not sure if im missing something or if its a bug :(

20. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Just played the web version to that point. You've got 200 gold and 110 wood. 45 of each should be enough to fix it I believe.
    Did you simply walk close to the building? You have to drag the guy ON TOP of the building, just like you drag it onto the money, wood, and the bad guys.
    In the web game I selected the guy and dragged the line onto the building, and then I got the saw I could click on. Then, you can click it and the building will get fixed (simply wait a few second and the building will be repaired.)