We're mad as hell about iOS games that cost money, have ads, and/or any IAP at all.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Nov 3, 2009.

?

Is Canabalt worth $2.99?

1. Yes

213 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No

293 vote(s)
    48.2%
  3. Not my type of game

102 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

#2541 Habakuk, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
    No way, caro mio. You are mixing up things. The kind of ads in this game is absolutely disgusting, I'm just using your words.

1. Aggressive—30 sec video ads not able to skip, what an extraordinary HUGE waste of time, bandwidth and money
    2. Frequency—way too often
    3. Hiding information—not ONE single word in the official app description about fullscreen video ads, just "FREE"
    4. You can't even buy an "ads away" item when you want (read on)
    5. The two permanent banners in the original Flappy Bird were a cosy Kindergarten against the ultra-nasty ads in UZG

"Very easily" is not correct. Did you even start the game once? Before calling forum members "disgusting"? You have to WAIT until the buying option shows up! It's kind of hidden as well (the thread is full of people who can't find it). Even more "aggressive" and nasty. Bunch of arrogant drug dealers.

And you, moderator metalcasket? Who are you and what are you doing here? Are you the moderator of game users and forums members? Or are you the ads' advocate? Is it your job to defend one of the worst ads implementings ever seen?

YOUR "disgusting" is aggressive, isn't it? I just said with one word (call it "overaggressive") that I have more options than the dev suggests and that I deleted the game (like some others). So think about on which side you are, moderator.

There is nothing "wrong with mobile gamers today", but there is something wrong with the developers/marketing of mobile games and there seems something heavily wrong with moderators of user forums.

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    The fact that you're referring to me as a moderator, rather than a gamer (of 25+ years) who's seen every single ****ing trend come and go is why I won't be replying to the bulk of your post. The mobile gaming industry has changed. Either put up, or shut up.

3. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

I found the word "moderator" right under your name in the forum's table. I even couldn't believe it after your posting, but it's there.

Your reply is more than enough. Everybody knows now on which side you are.

That's exactly the proper reaction of a "25+ years gamer" to the most disgusting drugs dealer behaviour ever seen of an iOS game dev. This way you will change those things and make a better world I'm sure. :rolleyes:

4. GhostMaker

GhostMaker Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Wow...came here to see what people thought of this game...walked onto the set of Jerry Springer.

I'll show myself out...

5. Premium flappy bird games.

6. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

$5 game? Are we talking about Wayward Souls now?

I can't wait to see the reactions when the game is $8

If you think $5 is expensive for a high quality premium game that took two years of time and money and effort to craft, well if you think $5 is expensive for any game, let alone a good game, I think you really need to reconsider and reevaluate your hobby.

If you can't support developers like this, games like this, that's a damn shame. All it does is hurt the IOS gaming market, hurts developers who want to make good games not compromised by IAP or limited by price, hurts us as gamers by fostering that free and cheap sells not fun gameplay or innovation or quality

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I agree. $5 for a game of that quality is superb. I personally think one reason we get so much freemium are people's views towards a game when it's over 99c! Think people have been spoilt for so long they're so used to 99c prices

Depressing when you hear comments like that

8. utume2

utume2 Member

May 6, 2014
    People are getting used to free now and many complain that 99c is too much for a game.

Good games, with good content, deserve higher prices.

9. noah0706

noah0706 Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2014
    A mowing business
    Kannapolis, NC
    I may sound cheap but I really want to play the game and enter the contest, but 4.99 is a good bit of money lol

10. Games overrated IMO

11. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    #2551 ColeDaddy, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
    Yeah, we've heard you say this on another thread :rolleyes:

I'll give this contest a shot, but I've only made it a few levels in on hardcore mode and am a long way from being competitive, at this point. Great game IMHO.

12. #2552 markymarkanddafunkybunch, May 16, 2014
    Yea :/ I was just giving my opinion before he spent his 4.99 sorry for having an opinion. I realize it's so exhausting to have a difference of opinion. I just don't enjoy dragging around and collecting coins. Puff him up and push things. Been there. Done that. It's not anything exciting to the game except for graphics.

13. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Did you actually get the game, or is your opinion still based on guesswork?

No, it's not a unique game in terms of its mechanics, but most of the best games have gameplay mechanics people find familiar. You could point out something you actually think is wrong with the game, but if you're just going to go around and say you don't like it, you should at least explain you require weird game mechanics to be satisfied and people can take your advice for what it is.

14. nemerleb

nemerleb Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    #2554 nemerleb, May 16, 2014
    Edited: wrong thread lol

15. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I don't get how some people say things like "10 dollars? Are you're so cheap." iOS games have become very lackluster and generic lately. You think everyone in the world would like Wayward Souls? Check again. No one likes spending their money on a game that gets boring after a while or has to play money on A FREE GAME. (I'm not bashing wayward souls btw.) Years ago, free meant that you get an entire FINISHED game with no extreme bugs at least, and no extra money was needed to enjoy the experience. Nowadays it's a mentality for developers to release a game and fix the bugs later. But the main thing is that it's a shame that people just accept Freemuim.

16. Chaos_u

Chaos_u Well-Known Member

#2556 Chaos_u, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  17. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, the price is up turning off point. I'd download this if it was free or even £.0.99p, but the game does look cool graphics and art style wise. Hmm. Guess I'll wait a bit until its dropped to free.

18. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Comments like this go unpunished yet one of the most valuable members of Touch Arcade (we'll call him Sponxsta) remains banned. Makes sense.

19. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Hopefully that won't be anytime soon.

It's a great game that deserves to make every penny it can.
    Well worth the price tag in my opinion and I've not played long.

20. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Why should he be punished?
    All he said is that he will wait for a drop.