We're mad as hell about iOS games that cost money, have ads, and/or any IAP at all.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Nov 3, 2009.

?

Is Canabalt worth $2.99?

1. Yes

213 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No

293 vote(s)
    48.2%
  3. Not my type of game

102 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    I defended the price because its a great price.
    Most things increase in price over time.

This exact game released over 20 years ago for a $50 price tag.
    Now its 1/5 of that. Considering inflation, you'd expect it to be closer to $100.

Instead we get it for the amount I spend on lunch, and I get to carry it with me everywhere I go.

Great game (at least the old one was, havent tried this version yet...but its a direct port, so barring control issues, it too is great)! Great price! Great deal!

2. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    #2522 biokid, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    I rarely complain about the price tag.... again, I am still awaiting the impression from people who are defending the game and give the impression about the game that justify the price tags, not just because of nostalgia or fanboyism. I actually defend some of the developers price tag (e.g. Epoch 2).

Sorry for being off-topic, but since you start going on about inflation.

Firstly, many goods depreciated and devalued in value overtime as well, goods rarely appreciate in price (it needs to be rare and have higher demand than supply, which is not in this case). Yes, there is inflation, but if you bought this 20 years ago, this probably depreciated down to nearly nothing (since you kept it for 20 years - used goods). In addition, this revamp version is an all-new product together and the price needs to be realistic to the present-day market where games are more affordable.

You could have at least justify it (better) by comparing the price to the recent revamp console version, which is $15 at full launch price. Again, there is only $5 difference between mobile and console version.

I don't think by charging $50+ for this game in the modern era, would be a wise marketing move and only real follower and fanboy will pay that much for this short game. (I am not complaining about the length, but it is very short in my opinion, even shorter than $5 games and experience is not that amazing).

You don't spend $10 on lunch in Asia, Africa, etc, which constitutes half of the World. So, citizens of first World country, please understand that money doesn't come as easy in this country. Many people earned $10 for a whole day of work (I have seen it from personal experience).

Secondly, your are still referring to your experience of the old game (so many years ago), not the IOS port at all. So, please play this version first before defending it! Even some direct port from old consoles are quite different from the original.

Again, you are saying I am judging the game without playing it, but you haven't played the game on IOS at all, not even the recent console version, which it is ported from (I have played that one and critics/ reviewer agree with me that the game is very short and relies heavily on nostalgia.....gameplay is not challenging at all).

Note: the IOS version is not direct port of the original version!

3. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    tl;dr

4. iSupah

iSupah Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Honestly, Bio and Lazer..Would you two stop arguing on every single thread?? Jeez...Just post your impressions about the game...Why you two have to fight?? Come on.

5. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    #2525 biokid, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    Lol, that's because he always try to pick a fight for no reason. I don't what is his problem. I just posted on this thread asking if the price justify the quality of the game. Now he lose the argument, he resort to childish method like "too long; did't read."

6. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    Looks like we now find you out that you were complaining about a true quality title like Warhammer Quest and explicitly "ask" for a sale. Seriously, Game Workshop will never put their game on sale....Look at the price of the original board game. Lol, because you don't find the game appealing, you still ask for a sale, so you can get the game anyway......(hidden agenda?)

7. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Why all the arguing about if a game is worth what the developers are asking for it? If you want the game then buy it, if you don't want it then don't buy it. The device to play these games on generally costs more than a console yet you don't complain about dropping $60 for these games. Buy the game or don't. But complaining about the price point is just a waste of time.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I dont get that at all. Granted i would rather have a smaller sized game but as long as the games quality i dont really care if its 5 MB or 500 MB. I found it laughable in the Oceanhorn thread when someone was complaining the filesize was too small !! I'm glad they optimized it as much as they could as some devs dont seem to and you have a massive filesize which isnt always needed.

In an ideal world filesizes would be small but all because a game is only 20MB doesnt mean it should be decent, just as if a game is 1 gig it doesnt mean its going to be great.

Give me a game with quality rather than judging it solely by MB's

I mean people whinge if the filesize is too small (Oceanhorn) and also moan when the filesize is too big ! The poor devs cant win ! People moan about freemium, AAA titles come out, people then moan about the price and waiting for filesizes ! Again they cant win

9. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    A version short enough for you to read?

No, actually they don't, and you've oddly given an example that directly contradicts your argument within the very post it was made in.

Games, computers, phones, cars, TVs... the list is endless, but no, things don't generally increase in price over time, unless a person strips away intrinsic components of "price" such as technological advancements within a respective field.

For general research on the topic, "Moore's Law" is a great place to start, specifically with regard to computing hardware...

DBC

10. Sounds like this is coming from the mickey mouse game. Other than the price arguements, is this a great game?

11. scifistephen

scifistephen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 4, 2013
    Looks nice but I would never pay $5 for game play of this nature and I don't think many others will either,it will drop in price within 2 weeks for sure

12. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    And people wonder why freemium has taken over the App Store.....

13. scifistephen

scifistephen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 4, 2013
    It,s just what the market allows,most games are not an average of $5 on the App Store.i buy most games that come out every week that I have any interest in but if 10 came out every week at $ 5 I wouldn't be buying them all.i have two 128 gb iPads and 300 plus games and I don't mind at all paying for a very good game,I have many that cost $10 on the ipad.But I couldn't pay that much for all of them and I think there is money to be made by selling your games for 2.99
    As long as there is no physical copies to produce.We don't want every game averaging $20 in the future or netflix raising to the price of cable tv is today.

14. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    10-15$ , 20$ same thing. I'd pay whatever for it, it's absolutely amazing. Do you want a POS f2p IAP filled game with timers? You kids need to get off these forums and stop promoting f2p. 90% of the time f2p is terrible and you can't play Without spending constant amounts of money. This is an amazing experience, for 5$. For god sakes. Watch gameplay. A TON of love went into it. Bunch of kids without jobs whining about the price.

This is why we can't have nice games. Already got people complaining about wayward pricey already as well. So sad

15. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Not all games are good 99% of apps are crap. So yes, when a good game does come out like this. They certainly can charge 5$. Devs don't work for free, this kind of game requires more time and work. It deserves the lousy 5$

16. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    this is why Freemium and IaP dominate the AppStore.

C'mon like he was saying before if this was on Xbox live or Steam it would be 10 - 20 bucks.

You only think its too much because you've been conditioned to expect games to be a dollar or two.

Jeez * Insert that dudes sig quote where 5$ is like asking for a kidney etc...*

I mean its understandable I guess, even I asked if it was 5$ worth of lvl's.. However I'm looking at it as a fair price for a game that looks pretty good and has positive feedback..

You're probly right though the game will eventulally have to go on sale..just Because that's how things are on the AppStore a race to the bottom for the most content for the cheapest price.

But you've got it backwards about pricing... It's not going up, its gone all the way down to freemium..

It's like If Netflix gives you the movie for free but 20 min in you have to pay to see the rest... Then you have to pay more for the commentary, deleted scenes, whatever else there is. So you can't technically buy, rent or own anything... You're just sharing from them. Then it would get worse and you'd have to pay for every scene individually etc...

17. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Played five minutes while riding a rollercoaster. Made world rank #9. Far too easy for flappy profs. Then fullscreen video ads (up to 30 sec.—can't skip) showed up. I choose…

[​IMG]

Option 3.) Delete. Thanks.

18. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

And don't forget FireBird!
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=225673

Ack.

19. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    This overaggressive reaction to ads being in this game is absolutely disgusting. I get that the difference in pricing in different regions may be a very valid issue, but this whole "DELETED~!" thing when you can very easily disable ads for good is what is wrong with mobile gamers today. Yeesh.

20. pinpoint007

pinpoint007 Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Real smart.