iPad We want (quality) games!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeterM11, Sep 30, 2008.

1. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    Has anyone heard of any games planned that should have great visuals (like kroll) and have a long lasting replayable gameplay with maybe a freeplay mode in there too??? I'd love to see a good adventure game (like kroll but like I said better gameplay) come out for the iPhone/iPod Touch! I'd pay big for a good one!

So anyone heard of any?!?!

2. davidmdowning42

davidmdowning42 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2008
    I like Bugdom 2. See my posts in the "Bugdom 2 help" & "dream game" threads. I'm not sure what you mean by "freeplay" but it is a big long game with good 3D graphics- though not without it's shortcomings.

3. PeterM11

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    By freeplay I mean a 'level' where there's no challenges no goals nothing you have to do. You just run around and play.
    Of course I want a long convincing story lines game to go along with it but I myself have found console games that have freeplay modes to have a way higher replay value!

4. ReformatPlanet

ReformatPlanet Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    I've said it before, but i really like Reign of Swords. I've been coming back to it more then anything else. It will only appeal to you if you like strategy games, and the graphics are small but nicely detailed.

You have sets of missions in each land that are part of the story, and after you finish them you can play "raids", which are essentially different challenge missions with no connection to the story that allow you to build up your army.

Then you can program your army and place it online to compete against someone else. It may not be direct 1 on 1 combat, but it keeps people from cheating or just quiting if you start to beat them.

5. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    though it's not a graphical powerhouse, or incredibly deep for that matter, I downloaded papijump+ last night and it's pretty damn sweet!

I love me a good platformer, and there's enough modes here to mix up the gameplay and keep you playing.

maybe you won't get 30+ hours of deep gameplay, but incorporate this into a drinking game of sorts (as another user here suggested) and you just might! lol
    sure it doesn't have big beautiful graphics, but gameplay is more fun than say....
    walking to the right, and mashing the attack button ;)

I'm sure this isn't quite what you're looking for, but I thought it was worth a mention. how could you not love that bouncing hamburger fiend?

6. PeterM11

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    OMG YES I KNOW!!!!!
    I love the Mr Papi games and I didn't even expect itout this soon but as soon as I read about it I bought it! It's great!
    Ha

7. sirisaacx

sirisaacx Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2008
    #7 sirisaacx, Sep 30, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
    Edit: wrong thread. :p
    So many similarly named ones.

8. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    OK people I finally downloaded a Papi game after reading all the really excited reviews here. OMG IT'S ACTUALLY ENTERTAINING LOL!

9. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Vay is a very nice RPG. I don't know how long I played it but it must have been from 10-15 hours. I haven't played it since I beat it but I am sure it has a decent replay value.

10. Hitman45

Hitman45 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    iPhone Gamer
    Williamstown, NJ
    Isnt EA gonna have The Sims? That should be good graphics with lots of free play.

11. sirisaacx

sirisaacx Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2008
    In the past, mobile versions of The sims have been quite different (and worse) than the PC version.

12. Hitman45

Hitman45 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    iPhone Gamer
    Williamstown, NJ
    Yeah but this is a different platform. You see how well Spore stacked up compared to the Pc and Mac versions.

13. davidmdowning42

davidmdowning42 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Ummm... not well IMHO. But that ain't because they couldn't have done better. Companies seem to just have low expectations for any mobile game, and expect us to as well.

14. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Making "substantial" games takes a fairly considerable amount of time and effort. The app store is still pretty new, so I wouldn't expect to see "epic" games for quite a while yet. When they do appear, I hope there isn't too much complaining about price because there's no way they're going to be $1.99. ;)

--Eric

15. Doxxic

Doxxic Member

Oct 1, 2008
    I agree with davidmdowning42.

Spore only got interesting by level 25 or so, when designing your creature well became more important in order to complete a level.

It's almost as if they had gaming on other phones than the iPhone in mind.

I think Toy Bot Diaries has very qualitative gameplay and dito design and is well adapted to the iPhone. And it was stunningly released within weeks after the AppStore had opened!

16. Nightflower

Nightflower Member

Oct 2, 2008
  17. kadjisan

kadjisan Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    #17 kadjisan, Oct 3, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
    Honestly, the problem lies in the limiting the application creation to Mac owners. Most if not all game developers create there projects on the PC platform. All games are made on the PC, especially for consoles.

Game development for the mac is currently slowly coming back, but as it is, all we will see is gimmicks and somewhat flat games.

Myself being a PC user, but not biased toward Macs feel that things need to be multiplatform. Come on, you can run windows on the mac without any problem, yet Apple bitches about running OSX on a PC. Who is the one that is biased? Its like a spoiled brat that wants everything but doesn't want to give.

As a developer, it would be great to either have a windows iPhone SDK or be able to run OSX simply on a PC.

My company is currently looking into developing for iPhones, but the only Mac users on the team are Artists and not programmers.

Welcome us Windows users, and you will get the quality games you want!

The waiting game begins....unless we work something out and get our hands on some macs.

Does anyone know what is the minimum requirements are for running Xcode on a mac? Any help on finding some cheap macs that can run Xcode is greatly appreciated.

18. rixm

rixm Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    If you haven't tried "Mouse About" by Cobra Mobile yet you are missing out on a true hidden gem! The screenshots do not do this game justice at all and the description doesn't really convey the strategy aspect you have to use as the game progresses.

This game has huge value. This will be the vey best $2.99 you have ever spent in the app store!

Graphics - some of the very best I've seen in an iPhone game.
    Music - Very well produced, very fitting for the game and not annoying to listen to in the long run like some can become.
    Strategy aspect is very good. Lot's of small touches within the game that show they put a LOT of effort into this game. (e.g. The cat's shadow begins to come across the playing board as you start to run out of time or when you fail and Marv goes off to heaven.

If we could get more games produced at this level (eventually I'm sure we will) the iPhone would be the killer mobile game platform to beat.

Check it out.

Cheers,

Rich

19. PeterM11

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    i agree that i am indeed looking forward to how they portray sims on the iphone and touch... if its basically a full sims game just on a smaller screen i will burst out of my mind!

the sims is the ultimate game to waste time and you never really cant have fun playing it even though when you arent playing it you wonder how its fun... lol... cant wait for EA to release this game or atleast release some details... anyone know of any? i think ill make another post about this right now actually.. yeah!

20. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

No, it's because Microsoft is a software company that makes money selling software, and Apple is a hardware company that makes money selling hardware. Simple economics.

So buy a few Macs. Surely you can afford such a trivial expense. Companies that do console development have to buy expensive development kits, but you don't hear them complaining about it (much ;) ).

OS X 10.5.4, some kind of Intel-based Mac. A Mac Mini would do.

--Eric