We need a COMIC's Reader

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by girlgeek101, Aug 11, 2008.

1. girlgeek101

girlgeek101 Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Hey you developers out there. We need a Comic Book reader that has a store where we can buy comics of any type, language or price.

I'd pay up to $20.00 for it!

2. bookabisco

bookabisco New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    view downloaded manga..too

3. davidmdowning42

davidmdowning42 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Too bad Marvel's site is all Flash.

4. ReformatPlanet

ReformatPlanet Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    I noticed a few Japanese language comics in the app store for free download.

I think making this work would be a little more difficult then it seems since comics don't share a uniform format, and having to constantly pinch and resize for different panels could get tiresome.

If the comic companies have the foresight to recognize the markets potential, i could see them developing custom comic releases made special for the iphone, with original stories and a format that would be easy to read on the screen.

5. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    #5 Rocketman919, Sep 20, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
    funny. Lately I have been wanting the same thing, and since my phone is already I just used icomic from cydia. It's really good. It only reads zip files so you have to get cbr and unrar it and then zip it up. Or with cbz you just change it to .zip. Any comic, so it's really great. And to reformat,
    There are a few new comics avail. I'll check and report back.

UPDATE: iverse is an upcoming app that displays comics made just for iPhone. Controls look good. Comics will be downloaded from the app store for 99c or free. Also is the comic murderdrome, an iPhone exclusive comic made just for iPhone. Both of these apps have videos on YouTube. Check em out. As for any cbz or cbr reader I don't believe there will be one and there isn't one in development. I recommend hacking for icomic.

6. davidmdowning42

Aug 12, 2008
    #6 davidmdowning42, Sep 30, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
    Has anybody tried using Jaadu VNC to read Marvel Digital Comics? I missed the VNC sale price, and this is just about the only reason that I really want VNC. If not, could somebody who has VNC try it our for me? Just Google "Marvel Digital Comics" and then click the "Free Comics" tab to try a sample.

I'm not real picky about having to pinch, zoom, scroll, etc. I know that that will be necesarry. It's necesarry to do a fair amount of that to read them from a desktop. I just want to make sure that the resolution is good enough that I'll be able to read the dialogue. And that the whole thing isn't generally a total hassle.

I only need it to work on a local network, by the way.

I'd be really greatful if somebody could give this a spin for me. I'd hate to spend $25 and then have it turn out to be completely impractical.

Oh! I almost forgot. Will VNC work with Tiger? Or only Leopard?

7. davidmdowning42

Aug 12, 2008
    #7 davidmdowning42, Oct 1, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
    No that anyone seems to care, but I went ahead and bought VNC and it works beautifully with Marvel Digital Comics. Took a while to find what zoom level, page layout etc worked best, but once I did it was a pretty seamless comic reading experience.

Can't get the auto set-up program "Jaadu Connect" to play nice with my E-Mac running Tiger though. (Only my Leopard MacBook was a success.) It becomes unreponsive as soon as I run it. Anybody else have this problem? Maybe there's a VNC thread I should post this on...