We are Featured "Best New Game", but...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by shakingsheep, Jan 21, 2015.

1. shakingsheep

shakingsheep Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Director, Graphic Designer and Animator.
    Hong Kong
    #1 shakingsheep, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    Hi everyone,

LINK This is my previous post about how to get user discover my app.

At the end I emailed Apple marketing, and hopefully they could review/feature my app.

10 days later, they sent me an email requesting promotional artwork, while I am working on the artwork, my app featured #3 "Best New Games" in 13 countries in Asia next to Shadowmatic and AdventureTime, weirdly it didn't update on regular schedule but featured on Monday 19th Jan.

Promotional art work is ready to submit, I wish they will consider to feature my app on other stores next week or the week after, but I can't expected more as it is only my first game.

While my game is featured, my sales went a lot higher than before, but since there are a lot of paid games this week, especially great game like Shadowmatic, i see other paid app including mine is growing a bit slower in rank. Perhaps everyone is buying the biggest one which make other don't sale as much, that make sense.

I sent out as much emails as I can for reviews and increase exposures. Hopefully it will go better later this week.

Throughout the development, I really learned a lot, from starting a company, look for people to develop the game, marketing...etc.

I tried to give up at some point as there were times that no one download my app, but you just have to trust yourself a bit more and seek for any hope, I told myself nothing could be worse, just try anything.

My app is not perfect, in fact, there are a lot I can do to improve, but I hope my experience will be helpful to you somehow.

Lastly, here is a link to my blog, there is only a little in there, but i will keep updating.

Thanks for your time, and please don't hesitate to ask me anything.

Million's Lovers - Tricks, Likes, Treats

[​IMG]

Good Luck to you all!
    Niki Chan
    Shaking Sheep Studio

2. dprat0821

dprat0821 Active Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Indie Game Developer
    Beijing, China
    Thanks for your sharing Niki.
    I love the style and color scheme of "Million's lovers". The only problem is I don't think it's the era for payed games for new studios except you and everybody believe your title is not only fun and stylish but also very very original. Especially for our eastern people (I guess you are). We cannot anticipate to their conferences and missed a lot of opportunities.
    However cheer up. I'm also indie developer on the road and I believe there is hope :)

3. 1stSPIN

1stSPIN Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    All the best with your app. :) Keep us in the loop.

4. shakingsheep

Oct 10, 2014
    Hong Kong
    That's totally true, I based in HongKong, it is a tiny place and here is lack of games conferences, and find it quite hard to meet someone who know app industry and with interest.

I think is we should think differently and keep trying, invest our limited resource at the right place. I am still figuring out how to use social network to let more people know our game, thing is not effective as I have 0 budget in marketing, that's also a problem...

Being a game developer is fantastic, and i am sure there are lots of hopes out there :)

5. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    Why don't you make your game universal?

6. shakingsheep

Oct 10, 2014
    Hong Kong
    It is due to the budget at the beginning, I will have to pay extra for making into iPad and since it is my first attempt, my intention was to get a game done at low cost in a short time.

Perhaps it is a good idea to get that on iPad in the future update.

7. maggiesgames

maggiesgames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Hey shakingsheep, nice to hear about how you've been doing since the release.

A question, you got featured after mailing Apple asking to get featured? I've always read you can't/should not do that, and that all you can do is hope they will feature you?

Also, what other review sites did you contact, did you have any success on any of those?

How are your sales now, an average week, compared to the first few weeks when you said you had basically 0?

8. shakingsheep

Oct 10, 2014
    Hong Kong
    Thanks Maggiesgames, for pitching to email, you can take a look at this link

It tells you how you should prepare pitching to apple for promotion.

There are emails contacts at the end as well.

I try most of the review site i can find including touch arcade,
    there are serval sites like AppSpy, AppPickers, AppNapps..etc reviewed my app, and sites from china/ japan etc (these are the one i didn't ask tho. surprise!)

We are featured for 3 days now and only have report for 2 days,
    I will consider to give out some figures after a week, and now I have to send more emails out to get someone mention my game. :)