Universal WazHack (by Warwick Allison)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, May 7, 2013.

1. WazWaz

WazWaz Active Member

May 8, 2013
    #81 WazWaz, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
    Discovery is part of the game, and I promise you really don't need spoilers to win, but I'll cover a few of these...

All, but it takes time.
    It's modeled after the NetHack mechanic of the pet not standing on cursed items - which of course wouldn't really work in side-view.
    It's not even frustrating waiting - he's your beast of burden.
    There is actually a funny story about that one, so I must tell. I was enjoying watching (GamersDissent) Etalyx's first video of WazHack (watching Let's Plays is the ultimate blind user testing, but also loads of fun) when he tried to
    feed his dead pet a potion. I laughed at the notion.... but then to my shock it worked. It was totally due to a bug - the pet was a fully animated zombie dog ragdoll, but it looked mostly normal. Rather than fix the bug, I implemented pet resurrection properly. It makes keeping your pet alive easier - but don't let his corpse rot.
    No secret doors. I never really saw much point to them in NetHack either. I want to add them, purely for tradition (they were even in Rogue itself, IIRC), but I can't think of a way to add them that isn't annoying. Maybe when I get to adding a Rogue/Thief class will be the time.

Levitation boots are not a complete death sentence since unlike NetHack you *can* pick up items near ladders and go up and down them... hoping to find something to remove them or their curse. But yes, they're pretty dire. You must have missed a ladder down though since there are no secret doors.

Well, someone has been rushing around the dungeon in a panic ;). There is an extremely funny video on YouTube that I can't find right now of someone (voice over sounds like a kid) doing exactly this at the start of their game - they're running away and furiously hacking for about 30 seconds before they realize. (no, SimianSquared, I don't think you really missed it like that, you just have a different opinion on whether millisecond turns count as turns, but it did remind me of that video).

If you check the Berlin Interpretation, you'll see WazHack hits every High Value Factor except Grid Based (which I intend to have struck from the definition if I ever attend the IRDC ;)), and even all the Low Value Factors except ASCII (of course).

--
    Waz

2. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Wow for some strange reason I've only just discovered the buttons on the left when you bring up the menu, so i can now throw potions and play any music instrument I find :D
    I think throwing the potions might be a much better idea than taking them myself because so far drinking them hasn't been working out :eek:
    Still finding new stuff all the time

3. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I couldn't find the buttons, either, but you can throw items directly from your inventory. Sure is easier to use the buttons, though. I wish they would all just be on the right.

4. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    What does a "Jump" spell do? Seems like nothing. I don't mind discovering things as I play, but I don't like the style of game where there's lots of things you can only find out from other people who know the secrets.

5. WazWaz

WazWaz Active Member

May 8, 2013
    I too hate online "spoilers". You can find out by a little experimentation though. Try jumping after you cast the spell. Games these days have too much hand-holding, I think, and they've made us a bit dependent on that.

6. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    That was the first thing I tried, with no observable effects.

I dislike "spoilers" in the sense that the game should be self-explanatory. If you actually were the character and actually cast the spell, you would know what it did. If figuring it out is some deduction game, then the alternatives of having to consult some spoiler list or having to play some prolonged game of experimentation are about equally unattractive to me. Just my two cents.

7. WazWaz

WazWaz Active Member

May 8, 2013
    You jump higher/further and can jump while burdened. The Knowledge for the item says that it "briefly provides enhanced jumping ability", though I agree it should say something when you cast the spell, like "you feel better at jumping".

It's not a particularly useful spell, though I can imagine a player who wore heavy cursed armour then using it to jump over traps and feeling a sense of cleverness at their idea.

8. heretik

heretik Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2010
    This game is an old school nerd's dream. I don't like the art style too much, but the game ... Excellent.

9. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    WazWaz congratz on making a really cool game! :p

Bugs aside, it would be cool to have a $3 "Unlock all content" option in the store. :eek:

10. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    They have already said its seperate unlocks so you can just unlock the classes you want and also this makes it easier to add in extra classes in updates.

11. pheriannath

pheriannath Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2012
    #91 pheriannath, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
    I'd just like to state my appreciation for this old-school marvel. Why isn't this getting more attention?

I thought, upon starting it, that it'd be just plodding through procedurally-generated dungeons and I'd be seeing the same scenery over and over. While that's partially correct, this dungeon isn't as monotonous as you'd think.

I'm gonna spend a moment mourning Geram the Reformed, who - despite his supposed redemption from evil sorcerous deeds long past - somehow, upon stumbling across an elevator leading down to the gnomish kingdom, instigated a bloody massacre the likes of which the underworld had never seen. Suffice to say he came out of that richer in everything but conscience.

It was all going so well for my character until past 2000 feet deep when he came across his first (and last) Balrog. He was about to use a last-ditch measure of throwing a paralysis potion at it, but ended up quaffing it unintentionally instead of throwing it (as I had selected the potion via the potions quick tab. All potions selected that way follow the default option, which is quaffing).

RIP Geram. It was...a unique death.

Could I appeal to Waz to add some sort of failsafe for this? If I've identified a potion which is obviously detrimental when quaffed (like paralysis or acid), let there be a confirmation prompt when I quick-select it from the potions tab so I don't end up accidently doing something I regret. I'd think this is also more useful for iOS players who could end up unintentionally tapping a neighbouring slot on the inventory.

Edit: I didn't even realise my score got updated on the daily hall of fame! Now that's a nice touch:

12. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Nice, I haven't managed to make it past just over 500 depth, I'm using the knight or Valkyrie and due to quite a few cases of bad luck I keep dying :eek:
    Still loving the pure randomness of each play so far.
    Think I might buy another class tonight (the two with bows) can't remember what you call them.
    Fantastic game.

13. Papicus65

Papicus65 Active Member

May 8, 2013
    Best.roguelike.evah!

14. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I is so many different kinds o stupid:

2 deaths from the exploding gems

2 deaths from the small room to investigate (one where I could have run off to rest up but no, had to try and clear the room first...)

1 from strangulation

1 from levitation

...on and on and on

Love it! Best roguelike by a huge margin.

15. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    Waz....How does Mycology actually work...do I need anything in addition to mushrooms to use the skill (empty bottles etc) or do I need a specific combination of mushrooms in my inventory for it to work?

One of the best games ive played on IOS btw (and ive got thousands of apps)...please keep the upgrades coming!

16. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Damn died at the first enemy :eek:

Attached Files:

17. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Thanks. I'm terrible at jumping (it usually takes me several tries to jump over a teleport trap), so maybe it would help me.

18. WazWaz

WazWaz Active Member

May 8, 2013
    No empty bottles needed (let's assume you keep them from when you drink potions - Rogue never explained where they went...). All you do is select the "Make..." menu option from any Mushroom in your inventory, then you get the full list of what you can make with your current muchroom supply (eg. 2 red mushrooms makes a potion of healing).

Non-mycologists still have a couple of uses for mushrooms though, in case anyone thinks this is all mushrooms are for.

Thanks!

1.1.5 is in Review at Apple which fixes the stupid iphone-only text entry bug. I've just about finished testing 1.1.6 which fixes the store disappearing after one purchase and fixes multiplatform multiplayer support - though I'm still considering adding Game Center support to that too.

I'll probably keep working bugs-only for a month until the iOS version is at least as good as the other platforms (no idea how to fix this iPad3 stuttering I've seen reported - anyone want to donate me an iPad3 ;)?). Then I'll be able to move on to version 1.2 where I get to add features again - yeah!

19. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    It's a good game but I seemed to have movement problems with my ipad 3. I regret deleting it. I bought all the characters too but in the end got too frustrating to play. When I'd want to run it would stutter badly. Navigation problems is why I deleted it.

Will I get my IAP back if this gets fixed???

20. Papicus65

Papicus65 Active Member

May 8, 2013
    I have an iPad3 and can report no stuttering whatsoever.